IFR work

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

IFR work

Post by AirCanuck »

Folks,

Military guy here. Boning up on my civvie procedures. I want to do a big review of a couple things.

First question, what is the best place to really go through all IFR procedures from departure to arrival and in between, including regs, minimums, procedures for missed approaches to sector altitudes etc? What is the best book in Canada to review this? Any great websites that run through it well?

Second question. I remember back about 10 years ago when I got my civvie IFR ticket, they had these little circulars they would mail out that had an instrument plate on it, usually something with a few little tricky items, and would ask questions about it, kind of little quizzes to keep you sharp on IFR procedures. Anyone know of where these can be accessed online these days? They had the sort of questions like, "could you join without a procedure turn, at what altitude given this clearance could you leave the missed approach to continue en route" etc

Thanks for your help! Have a great day all
---------- ADS -----------

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: IFR work

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

I’m not familiar with the quiz circulars you’ve mentioned, probably before my IFR time.

A few resources you may find useful:

TC AIM (free to download the PDF, pay special attention to the RAC and COMM sections)

CAP GEN (if you download a free app like fltpln go you can access a current edition for free there)

pilottraining.ca has a whole set of IFR air exercise videos but I don’t think you can buy them separately from the whole ground school. (Email Adam and ask maybe?)

The number one resource I recommend to my students is the Dauntless INRAT theory App. It’s $50, but I think it has over 1000 questions built in and gets updated quickly with any regulation changes. You can select what topics you’d like it to quiz you on like arrival and departure, or enroute procedures. And of course having it on your phone or iPad makes it much more convenient to study when you’re out and about. It’s full of questions like the ones you used as examples above.

Feel free to shoot me a message with any questions.

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AirCanuck »

LifeAt90Kts wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:04 am I’m not familiar with the quiz circulars you’ve mentioned, probably before my IFR time.

A few resources you may find useful:

TC AIM (free to download the PDF, pay special attention to the RAC and COMM sections)

CAP GEN (if you download a free app like fltpln go you can access a current edition for free there)

pilottraining.ca has a whole set of IFR air exercise videos but I don’t think you can buy them separately from the whole ground school. (Email Adam and ask maybe?)

The number one resource I recommend to my students is the Dauntless INRAT theory App. It’s $50, but I think it has over 1000 questions built in and gets updated quickly with any regulation changes. You can select what topics you’d like it to quiz you on like arrival and departure, or enroute procedures. And of course having it on your phone or iPad makes it much more convenient to study when you’re out and about. It’s full of questions like the ones you used as examples above.

Feel free to shoot me a message with any questions.
Hi there, did you get my message?

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Aircanuck:

And if someone tells you that when entering a hold that "if you can't do a direct entry, turning the shortest way outbound and doing a parallel entry", is in contravention of the rules, tell him/her you're from Missouri... Ran into that a lot after leaving the military.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

AirCanuck wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:40 am Folks,

First question, what is the best place to really go through all IFR procedures from departure to arrival and in between, including regs, minimums, procedures for missed approaches to sector altitudes etc? What is the best book in Canada to review this? Any great websites that run through it well?
Try these for a comprehensive summary of IFR procedures:

http://www.vippilot.com/instrument-proc ... anual-d245
http://www.acceleratedaviation.com/webs ... ument.html
AirCanuck wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:40 am
Second question. I remember back about 10 years ago when I got my civvie IFR ticket, they had these little circulars they would mail out that had an instrument plate on it, usually something with a few little tricky items, and would ask questions about it, kind of little quizzes to keep you sharp on IFR procedures. Anyone know of where these can be accessed online these days? They had the sort of questions like, "could you join without a procedure turn, at what altitude given this clearance could you leave the missed approach to continue en route" etc
See the "Sharpen your IFR Skills" column by John Montgomery that is found at the end of each issue of Skies Magazine:

https://www.skiesmag.com/category/iq/

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AirCanuck »

455tt wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:09 am
AirCanuck wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:40 am Folks,

Try these for a comprehensive summary of IFR procedures:

http://www.vippilot.com/instrument-proc ... anual-d245
http://www.acceleratedaviation.com/webs ... ument.html
AirCanuck wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:40 am
See the "Sharpen your IFR Skills" column by John Montgomery that is found at the end of each issue of Skies Magazine:

https://www.skiesmag.com/category/iq/
Many Thanks!!
Schooner69A wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:14 am Aircanuck:

And if someone tells you that when entering a hold that "if you can't do a direct entry, turning the shortest way outbound and doing a parallel entry", is in contravention of the rules, tell him/her you're from Missouri... Ran into that a lot after leaving the military.
Ugh.. holds...

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

What community are you coming from? If you did much IFR in the CF, then there are only a few particular differences to note that stood out to me:
- Approach bans
- Level of service
- Runway lighting requirements
- fuel requirements
- No Alt
- Sliding scale weather requirements
- RNAV only destination and alternate
- Don't say "standing by airways" (actually officially not a thing in the CF either, almost as bad as ACTPA)
- New hold speeds (effective 11 Oct 2018)
- PBN Navigation requirements and codes
- "new" 2011 ICAO flight plan format (CF still not in compliance)

If you flew in a mainly VFR community, then a full review of the above mentioned documents is a good idea. The AIM and Cap Gen are a great start. If you can get a copy of the Aerocourse books on IFR, I've heard they're good. You'll learn a lot that you'll be surprised you were never taught.

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

What might surprise the OP coming back to civilian IFR after a spell away in the service is just how much GA IFR has changed, even just in the past 5 years. For example, NavCan has torn up most of the Victor and Romeo airways in southern Ontario and Quebec and replaced them with twisty GPS-based T-routes. Many of my formerly-familiar ground-based navaids (e.g. Waterloo VOR, Gatineau NDB) are gone. And the tricks you need to learn now aren't the classics like identifying navaids or the 5-Ts (turn, time, twist, throttle, talk), but remembering not to select "vectors" in your GPS for the transition to an RNAV approach (because it might drop intermediate waypoints), or figuring out how to wrangle a 180° turn onto an approach if you're given a direct clearance to the IAWP when you're flying the opposite direction and don't happen to have GPSS (or else when you're closing an official open STAR).

I was proud of everything I learned started in 2003 when I got my instrument rating, but the last few years, ATC was increasingly getting annoyed or confused by the fact that my plane wasn't RNAV-capable. After finally installing a panel-mounted GPS a year ago, it's almost been like relearning the IFR system (though not the basic instrument scan) from scratch—but also a lot of fun.

@CYRO
AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AirCanuck »

Gannet167 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:55 am What community are you coming from? If you did much IFR in the CF, then there are only a few particular differences to note that stood out to me:
- Approach bans
- Level of service
- Runway lighting requirements
- fuel requirements
- No Alt
- Sliding scale weather requirements
- RNAV only destination and alternate
- Don't say "standing by airways" (actually officially not a thing in the CF either, almost as bad as ACTPA)
- New hold speeds (effective 11 Oct 2018)
- PBN Navigation requirements and codes
- "new" 2011 ICAO flight plan format (CF still not in compliance)

If you flew in a mainly VFR community, then a full review of the above mentioned documents is a good idea. The AIM and Cap Gen are a great start. If you can get a copy of the Aerocourse books on IFR, I've heard they're good. You'll learn a lot that you'll be surprised you were never taught.
Good advice! I am using the aerocourse books now, prepping for my ATPL exam. I might just pay for their IFR course later on, although I fly the CP140 and fairly regularly do IFR work. You can always learn it better, though. Level of service was definitely a new concept for me, as were approach bans and I still don't quite get the sliding scale weather requirements. Basically for both 800/2 and 600/2 you can subtract a half mile and add 100ft? down to what limits?

Standing by airways is definitely what we've been saying in my community so that sucks! Hold speeds, i take it you mean the climb limits? Other than that, looks like what I remember. PBN codes we do use in our flightplan, and we've been using the new format I believe in my community since it started.

Not sure what you meant by "no alt"

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Holding speeds is the maximum allowable IAS in the hold. Depends on altitude.

No alt is no alternate. When can you depart without an alternate airport.

Sliding scale is a misnomer as you cannot just trade off vis for alt in an algorithmic way. Alternate alternate minima would make more sense but is not used for obvious reasons. Anyway CAP GEN has the options and they are the only ones you can use. If your alternate minima doesn't fit neatly into the matrix, you can't use sliding scale.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

And when you figure that TC make-work for someone RVOP/LVOP program out, can you fill the rest of us in? :lol:

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

If you are anywhere near Boundary Bay pro offers an ifr refresher once a month & a 3 day prep for the atr,I am sure that many other schools offer similar ifr refreshers & update classes to assist you,might be worth checking them out to see if it might be worth for you.

Daryl

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

This is the best online groundschool I've ever come across. I still reference it regularly, scroll down to IFR topics.

http://www.langleyflyingschool.com/Pages/Classroom.html

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AirCanuck »

many thanks to all for the responses! Can't believe how much of this I've forgotten during my time flying for the RCAF...

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Use it or lose it :).

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AirCanuck »

without a doubt! In the military so much focus on mission, tactics, aircraft knowledge... the goal is basically get there alive, live through the mission, get home alive! The spectrum of knowledge required is SO broad that I find basics like this slip by the wayside...

Return to “General Comments”