Air Canada Tokyo Incident

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Air Canada Tokyo Incident

Post by ahramin »

---------- ADS -----------

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Air Canada Tokyo Incident

Post by daedalusx »

Unacceptable... How does this kind of shit ever happens with those AMM moving maps on the ND ?!

Last edited by daedalusx on Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Well that's embarrassing. Maybe it wasn't marked out very well?

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

12 hours flight ... Maybe they didn't have time to peruse through the notams...

A2657/18 NOTAMN
Q) RJJJ/QMXLC/IV/M/A/000/999/3546N14023E005
A) RJAA B) 1807021430 C) 1807312020
D) 02-06 09-13 16-20 23-27 30 31 1430/2020
E) TWY B[BTN N-HOLD AND G] B7 B8 B9 E1 G[BTN B AND V1-HOLD]
K[BTN B AND E2]-CLSD DUE TO CONST RMK/EXC ACFT IN AIC 025/13 ITEM 2
CREATED: 02 Jul 2018 05:48:00
SOURCE: RJAAYNYX

Or maybe Boeing/Honeywell can work on a system using ADS-B and activate the autobrakes when a plane is heading toward the wrong taxiway/runway ...
https://www.boeing.com/commercial/aerom ... 2011_q1/2/

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

With the state of NOTAMs today, I don't think anyone can be blamed for missing one. The system is a complete disaster. There are way too many NOTAMs, and they are written in a cryptic format that hasn't made sense for 50 years.

CASAAusNotam.png
CASAAusNotam.png (58.42 KiB) Viewed 5071 times

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

ahramin wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:37 am With the state of NOTAMs today, I don't think anyone can be blamed for missing one. The system is a complete disaster. There are way too many NOTAMs, and they are written in a cryptic format that hasn't made sense for 50 years.

CASAAusNotam.png
Sure... :roll: Somehow wasn't an issue to anyone else landing there in the last couple of weeks ... Then again we had AC apologist defending the Halifax and SFO crews ...

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

So no other airline has ever gone down a wrong taxiway? I remember a few months ago Ground ripping JAL a new one in YVR for pushing onto a taxiway without calling.

Moving maps are a lot like the backup camera in my car. Very nice to have, but distracting and not necessarily fool proof. The moving map in my plane has the Jepp plates which aren’t always labelled the best as far as taxiways go and the plane sometimes has lag.

Finally.. a closed taxiway should be blocked. It shouldn’t have been possible to taxi there without running into barriers.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Finally.. a closed taxiway should be blocked. It shouldn’t have been possible to taxi there without running into barriers.
Excellent idea.

And to make it even safer if they had a big multi colour fence about fifty feet high with flashing red lights on it that popped up every time an airplane was on the taxi way it may motivate some crews to go around a bit higher than Air Canada did in SFO.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

How much time do you have taxiing around busy airports, CWE? Or taking a heavy jet into an airport with multiple parallel runways at night with an offset approach course and the other runway closed?

Anything that helps is a good idea. In fact, I’m sure many modern safety devices and procedures were developed in spite of scoffs from an older generation, and who are (sometimes) silenced when the drop in crash statistics manifests itself.

Remember, it’s still likely that all of these pilots have a crash-free record as well. How do your personal fuckups compare? How many would have been reported or newsworthy had they been at a busy international airport?

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

And just to be clear... I’ve had many fuckups in my career which would have closed down an airport or made the news had it been at an international airport rather than a remote one. Simple things like getting a reciprocal runway or taxiway wrong

Bacunayagua
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bacunayagua »

CWE has a good track record of conveniently ignoring statistics or just simply going quiet when they are brought up. He much prefers anecdotal evidence that agrees with his rhetoric.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

I wonder why they wanted to deplane? Couldn't they get a tow back to the runway and taxi in to the gate?

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Zaibatsu wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:32 am So no other airline has ever gone down a wrong taxiway? I remember a few months ago Ground ripping JAL a new one in YVR for pushing onto a taxiway without calling.

Moving maps are a lot like the backup camera in my car. Very nice to have, but distracting and not necessarily fool proof. The moving map in my plane has the Jepp plates which aren’t always labelled the best as far as taxiways go and the plane sometimes has lag.

Lucky for you there were no barriers otherwise it might have been rather embarrassing to see a shiny new 787 vs barrier event.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

How much time do you have taxiing around busy airports, CWE?
Well Lets see, my first real exposure to busy airports was in 1964 when I flew courrier flights five nights a week from Windsor Ont. into Chicago O'Hare in a Beech 18.

Were you flying into busy airports in 1964 Zaibatsu ?

During my last few years flying for a living I was flying out of Cape Town, Paris, London, and Amsterdam on a regular basis and of course many airports to numerous to list here ferrying airplanes for clients.

Does that give me some credibility or the possibility I have an idea how to find my way around them?

Or does it have to be in heavy jets to really count?
CWE has a good track record of conveniently ignoring statistics or just simply going quiet when they are brought up. He much prefers anecdotal evidence that agrees with his rhetoric.
I guess many decades of flying for a living is not having experience, it is just rhetoric in your world huh?

Oh, and with zero accidents or violations of the rules in over fifty countries means nothing either?

Last edited by C.W.E. on Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Looking at my Jepp charts, it appears to be 16L, the shorter of the two runways. As you can see in the pic, they were exiting near the far end of the runway. No doubt, it can be easy to take the wrong taxiway especially on the rollout. This taxiway to nowhere is not shown on the Jeppesen chart(20-9) and when doing a review of the planned exit, one will expect only one possible high speed exit near the very end of the runway increasing the likelyhood to go for it. However, a new one is under construction. It is not shown on the Jeppesen charts or Google Earth and the notam that someone else posted does not refer to it.

So what can be done to prevent this. When ATC gives you a taxiway to exit the runway look for the signs that designate that taxiway before going onto it. Frequently no instruction is given as to which taxi one should take to exit the runway. But there are some hints here in the picture. No yellow line leading off from the runway and a white runway edge line that was crossed which is not the case for the next high speed exit that is Taxiway B7.

It appears that the notam was not fully in effect, if at all, as they were instructed to use B7. Its been posted on the Youtube video below. Two hours later, ATC advises that they have to get steel boards to put on the grass for towing and they can expect an indefinite delay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaXAuYyESFI

Last edited by pelmet on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

daedalusx wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:01 am
ahramin wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:37 am With the state of NOTAMs today, I don't think anyone can be blamed for missing one. The system is a complete disaster. There are way too many NOTAMs, and they are written in a cryptic format that hasn't made sense for 50 years.

CASAAusNotam.png
Sure... :roll: Somehow wasn't an issue to anyone else landing there in the last couple of weeks ... Then again we had AC apologist defending the Halifax and SFO crews ...
were you not just complaining AC wasn't interviewing you? Would be fantastic if C.S can find out who you are and blacklist you for throwing shade online. Maybe they will? When the PFO comes maybe it's because you're trashing AC online? hmmmm.....

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

C.W.E. wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:17 pm
How much time do you have taxiing around busy airports, CWE?
Well Lets see, my first real exposure to busy airports was in 1964 when I flew courrier flights five nights a week from Windsor Ont. into Chicago O'Hare in a Beech 18.

Were you flying into busy airports in 1964 Zaibatsu ?

During my last few years flying for a living I was flying out of Cape Town, Paris, London, and Amsterdam on a regular basis and of course many airports to numerous to list here ferrying airplanes for clients.

Does that give me some credibility or the possibility I have an idea how to find my way around them?

Or does it have to be in heavy jets to really count?
I guess many decades of flying for a living is not having experience, it is just rhetoric in your world huh?

Oh, and with zero accidents or violations of the rules in over fifty countries means nothing either?
"1964" "busy"

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Zaibatsu wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:32 am Finally.. a closed taxiway should be blocked. It shouldn’t have been possible to taxi there without running into barriers.
That would've been good.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

daedalusx wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:01 am

CASAAusNotam.png
I truly hate looking through Notams trying to find the one that will make my look dumb when I ask for a closed runway, or taxi way. There are hundreds of useless Notams about towers, cranes, temporary closures, and procedure altitudes that seem so important that we waste ink on them yet 10 CAP's later and Navcan can't be bothered to waste ink updating the IAPs. And i't impossible not to get all the Heliport, and off route runway Notams clogging up the feed.

A great example of how to F up a Notam search is CYEG. Just the Aerodrome Notams, there are 49! How many of them are for CYEG you ask? Fourteen. But at least the actual Aerodrome Notams are all together right? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Even searching Local Notams only still gives useless Heliports and farm runways.

Return to “General Comments”