Handling of power on take off and landing.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Handling of power on take off and landing.

Post by C.W.E. »

We are, I just added this comment to the conversation.
That is the way I was taught also.

Have you flown the little Piper Twin Commanche?

It is a lovely little airplane, but can be a handful if you are careless with it near the stall.

A close friend of mine was killed in one turning final with a student and they spun in, both were killed.
---------- ADS -----------

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I've only flown small singles, but I always have one hand on the throttle for the first 500 feet and last 500 feet. When I fly gliders, one hand is on the release instead of the throttle.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
No Smoke, No Fire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Smoke, No Fire »

When flying taildraggers, floatplanes, and light twins I’m generally hovering around the throttles till 500-1000’ AGL on departure, and never do both hands touch the yoke/stick. When flying two crew, SOPs have dictated that at V1 both hands go to the yoke for rotation, and on approach one hand on the throttles and one on the yoke.

Taco Joe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Taco Joe »

JasonE wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:11 pm I've only flown small singles, but I always have one hand on the throttle for the first 500 feet and last 500 feet. When I fly gliders, one hand is on the release instead of the throttle.
I haven't flown a glider in a long time, so maybe the techniques have changed. But for the many years that I flew and instructed on them, I never heard of anyone flying or teaching someone to fly with one hand on the release. You only touched the release knob to hook up and release the rope and to check the release mechanism on the pre-flight.

As for other aircraft, my experience is pretty much what everyone else has said. Singles and most light twins, one hand on the yoke, other on the throttle for the take-off and climb out. As for turboprops and jets one hand on the yoke, the other on the thrust levers until V1, then both hands on the yoke until MOCA/safe altitude when we power back to MCT/whatever power setting is required. And then for the approach, one hand on the yoke, the other on the thrust levers.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

C.W.E. wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:02 pm
Depends on the aircraft. Sometimes you might need 2 hands,
There are a lot of airplanes I have never flown so I am curious what airplanes you might need two hands to operate the flight controls?

The heaviest on the controls I have flown was the PBY5A and it could be flown with one hand on the controls in any realm of flight I ever had it in.

The airplanes that may require two hands to operate the controls in normal flight realms, does the POH for those machines explain when two hands may be required to fly them?
Bashing through the snow in an otter, 2 hands. An F1 driver doesn't use one hand, you get faster and more precise inputs with 2, but you knew that already.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Bashing through the snow in an otter, 2 hands. An F1 driver doesn't use one hand, you get faster and more precise inputs with 2, /quote]

I don't recall having to be that aggressive with an airplane because of the snow conditions, was it hard on the airplane?

, but you knew that already.
Not from my own experience doing it.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Some company SOPs, mainly overseas like the Caribbean some African operators are those that come to mind, have both hands on yoke after power was advanced to XX % NG or whatever initial setting they used. The captain would then set the power and guard the powers. If the captain was PF, he would guard the throttles with one hand though, as the ultimate decision maker... guess it all depends on SOPs.

As for myself, always kept one hand on throttles and one on yoke. Although, when I first started training on floats: touchdown, throttles back and I'd start pulling the yoke all the way back, and by then I'd add the second hand to keep the yoke back all the way. Also did that when training and landing on grass strips. That I do remember. Was just easier for me.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Cat Driver wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:09 am I don't recall having to be that aggressive with an airplane because of the snow conditions, was it hard on the airplane?
No, the point was to not be hard on the plane. It's probably more common in the Bush.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

No, the point was to not be hard on the plane. It's probably more common in the Bush.
O.K. I see what you meant now,it is just the way you feel more in control by using two hands to control the airplane.

I also have done a lot of bush flying earlier in my career and was more comfortable using only one hand on the flight controls and the other on the throttle's .

What ever works best for a given pilot is the best way to fly them. :)

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “General Comments”