Jack Ellard (Victoria BC)

This forum has been created as an area to share memories of friends, who have passed on, that had a love for flight.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

msudul
Rank 0
Rank 0

Jack Ellard (Victoria BC)

Post by msudul »

Jack Ellard of Victoria passed away on Friday August 13 in his 89th year. A celebration of life will be held at the Mary Winspear Centre in Sidney, BC on Wednesday August 25th at 1300. Any comments posted will be passed to his family.

Mike Sudul
---------- ADS -----------

eddyb123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Jack Ellard (Victoria BC)

Post by eddyb123 »

I posted this notice in the general comments and to my surprise only one person responded. I went to the service. I sat with a veteran who knew him as a younger man and listened to the stories of his life, later I watched as other pilots honored Jack with a fly by and the missing man formation. I left with tears in my eyes and later posted the notice.
Jack trained so many people it's hard to believe there are so few comments or acknowledgements. I wonder if anyone out there remembers Jack?

MacStork
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MacStork »

I remember Jack with great tribute and fondness. He checked me out in the Fleet Canuck and the Beech Muskateer at Victoria Flying Club in the late sixties when he was the CFI there. A real gentleman ..... I am sorry I missed his memorial service. He was the kind of guy ..... who made all the difference.

the Hat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by the Hat »

Cheers Jack, you are missed.

My Mom, Dad and I learned to fly despite Jack's help in the mid 70's when he ran the VFS.
We did spend a lot of time at Mary's, talking the talk!
He and that Mustang were a treat for a couple of Tofino boys but as we were always under the other Jack's (Mr Shaw) Wing the tales don't include late night City cop photos!

Tailwinds always, Jack

Robert

BD8
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BD8 »

Jack served as President / General Manager for Flying Fireman Ltd, Victoria circa 1969.

flysportstar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flysportstar »

I just found this post. I am sorry it took so long.

I remember Jack as a fantastic pilot, a patient teacher, and above all, a true gentleman.
Jack took me for my first aerobatic ride in a then almost new Cessna 152. I think it was in mid to late 70's as I was just a young boy at the time.

I remember one incident with particular fondness.

Jack was flying the 152 and had radioed to the tower that he wanted do do an inverted pass down the active.
The reply was "NO!"

About 15 min later, Jack radioed back to the tower requesting to do a high speed wheels up pass.

I guess the controller did not realize that a 152 has fixed gear and granted the OK for the pass.

We all ran outside to watch Jack perform a beautiful "high speed, wheels up" pass.

Thank you Jack for peaking my interest in flying as a young boy. It was due to your flight that I went on to get my pilots license.

Fair skies and light winds old friend.

JayJennings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JayJennings »

I just found this site.

Jack was a great mentor for me. I did a lot of my commercial training with him back in 1970 at VFC. Spent a few hours in a Harvard with him learning acrobatics. Many hours of conversation and late night antics. Even through the steakhouse phase. He always called me Jimmy. Reflectin g back on our association always brings a big smile.

In the late 90's he spent a few weeks flying around with me in my Navajo and having a lot of fun spinning yarns in the process. He was a good friend and an inspiration to many many pilots.

Thanks Jack. Wherever you are now, I am sure you are out there leading the pack.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Jack was one of the finest people in aviation.

My best memory of Jack was flying with him in his Beech Travelair doing practice approaches for a instrument reride and we could hardly see the instruments for the smoke ion the cockpit as we both smoked back then.

I cant remember the year but it was in the early to mid seventies as I recall.

. ..

VictoriaAirport
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VictoriaAirport »

I just found this site.

I have many happy memories of Jack.

Greg

Attachments