SeaTac stolen plane

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

duele

Re: SeaTac stolen plane

Post by duele »

Back2Final wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:43 pm The air traffic control audio you are listening to is not the complete tape of a specific frequency.It jumps around from tower to departure and approach. I'm quite sure whatever frequency Richie showed up on was sterilized and all other traffic moved to another freq. What we are able to hear may only part of the conversations that went on during this event.
His complaint to them indicates he wanted to talk to them and was frustrated they were busy. Doesn't sound like he was on a sterile frequency atleast for the first while to the point where he said that.
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I can hear the overspeed alarm in a bunch of the audio clips.

It also sounds like he was at takeoff power from videos as it passed overhead. Would explain his complaints of high fuel burn...

I too wonder if the airplane finally just came apart. Couple rolls, a half loop, bunch of hard turns, most likely while overspeeding.

Tragic all around. I think anyone, regardless of color, gender or background has felt that way at some point. We really don't do enough for those with mental health issues.. You wouldn't tell someone with a broken leg and compound fracture to just 'walk it off' would you? Yet we tell people to just 'be happy' all the time...

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

I feel really sad for Rich and the outcome here. It also had me wonder though. Had he landed the plane, what would the charge be? Grand theft? Property has been returned but likely damaged. FAA fines and violations, ya probably, not like they could yank his license. Public endangerment related charges I guess. Probably some sorta jail sentence or mental institute. Probably a book deal and fame in the end that would pay out better then the lost years of ramp worker wages.

Just imaging a different better end to the story. I might have tried that angle to talk him out of it myself. Even in jail, this kinda crime is not likely something the other inmates would have beat him up for.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Rockie wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:28 pm With regards to the flying, when I saw the video I not only thought he was a pilot but aerobatically trained too. A barrel roll isn't that easy to do matching the roll rate with the pitch rate through changing "G" conditions moving through inverted. It's really hard to believe practice on a flight sim can do that.
Don't forget we don't have a cockpit view, just a grainy video. Even a poorly executed barrel roll could look pretty good from the outside filmed by a shaky handheld phone cam. It's unlikely he was all that coordinated, he was just coordinated "enough" to complete the manoeuver without ripping the plane apart in the process.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Ssri's have the known side effects of suicidal tendencies. Just listened to i think a w5 or something report on it

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

I don’t feel sorry at all for this guy. Sort of like the murder that covers up his crime runs away and then claims mental health issues. It is called responsibility and it still is in the dictionary. He stole an aircraft. And crashed it while acting like an idiot. The people that had to talk to him and worry about wether he was going to do a 911 will have to deal with that conversation for the rest of their lives. the people i sympathize with. Also the first respondes that have to cut his body out of the plane deserve our thoughts. He’s no hero. This PC bullshit is getting out of hand.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Kejidog wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:43 pm I don’t feel sorry at all for this guy. Sort of like the murder that covers up his crime runs away and then claims mental health issues. It is called responsibility and it still is in the dictionary. He stole an aircraft. And crashed it while acting like an idiot. The people that had to talk to him and worry about wether he was going to do a 911 will have to deal with that conversation for the rest of their lives. the people i sympathize with. Also the first respondes that have to cut his body out of the plane deserve our thoughts. He’s no hero. This PC bullshit is getting out of hand.
Hey I did not call him a hero. Maybe someone else did.
And I sure feel sorry for his family, too. I see you don't mention them.

Nice. Another one who loves to mock mental illness. Probably the same type of person that gets offended when a passenger doesn't salute your bars on your uniform. I know the type.

That's what I think, sport. I suggest growing up a little. Or a lot.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 pm
Kejidog wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:43 pm I don’t feel sorry at all for this guy. Sort of like the murder that covers up his crime runs away and then claims mental health issues. It is called responsibility and it still is in the dictionary. He stole an aircraft. And crashed it while acting like an idiot. The people that had to talk to him and worry about wether he was going to do a 911 will have to deal with that conversation for the rest of their lives. the people i sympathize with. Also the first respondes that have to cut his body out of the plane deserve our thoughts. He’s no hero. This PC bullshit is getting out of hand.
Hey I did not call him a hero. Maybe someone else did.
And I sure feel sorry for his family, too. I see you don't mention them.

Nice. Another one who loves to mock mental illness. Probably the same type of person that gets offended when a passenger doesn't salute your bars on your uniform. I know the type.

That's what I think, sport. I suggest growing up a little. Or a lot.

Rooke. Blo me. I am a ppl and could care less if snowflakes like you “respect me” or my “bars”. You don't like my opinion dont read it. Maybe reply with an ism tag that you sjw’s love to brand anyone who they disagree with

Last edited by Kejidog on Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Kejidog wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Rooke. Blo me. I am a ppl and could care less if snowflakes like you “respect me” or my “bars”. You don't like my opinion dont read it.

Got it. Same goes here.

I am the farthest from a snowflake dude, thats a laugh. I'm just right. That's it.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:30 pm
Kejidog wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Rooke. Blo me. I am a ppl and could care less if snowflakes like you “respect me” or my “bars”. You don't like my opinion dont read it.
I get it. One of those pricks who walks on to a commercial flight with attitude. "I'm a pilot".

Got it. I am the farthest from a snowflake dude, thats a laugh. I'm just right. That's it.

Another snowflake mirroring.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Reading about and watching the videos of that guy stealing and then crashing that airplane has been very sad for me, because he was obviously mentally ill when he did it.

He sure did not steal it for personal gain.

Does that make me a " snowflake " Kejidog?

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Looks like they released footage of the guy as he made his way through the airport.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/newly-release ... 50779.html

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Looks like it started rolling after he disconnected the tug.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

‘Bob’ wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:56 am Looks like it started rolling after he disconnected the tug.
Yeah, you can see him run from the tug to the aircraft while it's rolling. Was wondering if maybe he had the right engine running and that's what had it rolling?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”