Where to begin

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Where to begin

Post by Rockie »

The post I was responding to was post #28 from TheRealMcCoy saying military members get out with their ATPL with less than 1000 hours. Look it up.

Plus just what did you think I was referring to when I said "not even a minute"? Does that not sound like flying time, ie "experience"?

Look I know you hate me and can't wait for any excuse to argue, but you're just making yourself look silly with this.
---------- ADS -----------

aerosexual
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerosexual »

TT1900 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:15 pm
Bahd wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:39 pm Where is that Keith D'Mello guy when you need him?! 777 Driver needs a Canadian mentor!
Lol. I miss Keith. Fun way to kill some time.
Darn, looks like he's deleted his posts. I was looking for some entertainment

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Rockie wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:41 am The post I was responding to was post #28 from TheRealMcCoy saying military members get out with their ATPL with less than 1000 hours. Look it up.

Plus just what did you think I was referring to when I said "not even a minute"? Does that not sound like flying time, ie "experience"?

Look I know you hate me and can't wait for any excuse to argue, but you're just making yourself look silly with this.
Dude,

Again, I responded to what you wrote. In future, if you express yourself more clearly you can avoid misunderstandings like this.

For the record, I don't hate you. On the contrary, whenever I think of you I smile. Your dogged determination to always have the last word is entertaining and provides a welcome distraction from an otherwise dreary day. Don't ever change. :heart:

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

munzil wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:38 am It's not PICUS. PICUS is left seat and taking the role of captain but with another training Capt in the right seat. No way you can be PIC on a 330 with less than ATP in the civil world.

Stop drawing to the bait... The OP is a troll and full of crap.
The above is incorrect - PICUS works exactly as I've described it in my previous post. It's simply a faster way for FO to obtain an ATPL - it's not the same as PIC and is not logged as PIC.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

Dont know the specifics of transport canada, but it all depends on the authority. FAA PICUS is different from EASA which is different from CASA etc.

For instance on an FAA type rating in some cases you can't become PIC without 25 hours PICUs sitting in the left seat with a training captain on the right. This IS logged as PIC.

Flying in Australia, upgrade line training was logged as PICUS.

With EASA it can depend on the operating approvals given to the AOC
So, as usual in Aviation no absolutes. Every authority applies it in a different way.

Can you point me to the regs supporting your argument?

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Since you mentioned Australia - this was one of the first search results.

https://www.casa.gov.au/file/124601/dow ... n=QFz8KlzA

It talks about logging hours for an ATPL. It allows for PICUS which can obviously only be logged from the right seat if the person doesn't have an ATPL.

I agree that differences exist globally. Unfortunately the OP hasn't seen fit to clarify his initial comments.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
eyebrow737
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by eyebrow737 »

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:24 am You started flying A330’s after 200 hours and upgraded to A330 captain with 1250 hours total time?

Forget the airlines. Send your resume to Trump and he’ll put you in command of the SPACE FORCE.
Hahahaha! Best comment on AVCANADA!

Das ist mir wurst...
munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

Eric Janson wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:31 am Since you mentioned Australia - this was one of the first search results.

It talks about logging hours for an ATPL. It allows for PICUS which can obviously only be logged from the right seat if the person doesn't have an ATPL.

I agree that differences exist globally. Unfortunately the OP hasn't seen fit to clarify his initial comments.
Eric Janson wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:31 am Since you mentioned Australia - this was one of the first search results.

In Australia the term was ICUS. Do a search on that and you will still find confusion on how it is applied. About 15 years ago I was logging ICUS from the left seat during a command upgrade. My casa logbook had an ICUS column. Technically I wasn't PIC of the aircraft because there was a training captain in the right seat but I wasn't SIC. By the FOM I needed so many ICUS hours before being released.

In the US both pilots can log PIC time on this instance as there is no formal definition of PICUS as long as it is a training flight and both are licensed and rated in the aircraft and one being the instructor . Closest terms are SOE (supervised operating experience) or
PDPIC ( Performing the Duties of Pilot In Command)

It's a confusing aviation world.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

munzil wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:24 am It's a confusing aviation world.
Yes it is!

Getting more complicated every day - more acronyms to try and remember! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

So after 1050 hours as an SO at Cathay he gets upgraded to FO and flys as PICUS. I don't know for sure but that could be possible.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Say what now?

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Which bit dont you get?

cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cap41 »

Eric Janson wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:59 am
Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:31 am
I did not know there were airlines where the FO is not allowed to fly at all, and I'm wondering how they achieve a "certain experience level" without it? Why are they even there?

That's how the regulations work - even EASA allows for this. I have been asked to sign my FOs logbook as recently as last week.

True story:- In India the requirements to be Captain were simply 'ATPL'. As soon as guys got their ATPL they became Captain on things like A320.

The safety record in Asia speaks for itself - go to Avherald and type in 'Lionair'. This Airline has the dubious record of 2 overruns at the same airport within 24 hours. They're also the guys who put the 737 on a reef in Bali. Quite a shocking read. Any western Airline would have lost their AOC long ago. It's amazing they haven't killed anyone yet - certainly not for lack of trying!
Theres some foresight !!!

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

TT1900 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:11 pm
Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:02 am
Eric Janson wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:52 am I guess by PIC the poster means PIC under supervision.

Not the same as actual PIC - just a way to get the ATPL faster.
Where in the world do they put 200 hour pilots in the right seat of a 330, then into the left seat at 1250 under supervision or not? Tell me now so I can avoid the place.
Our Airforce. Its a 310 instead of a 330; close enough. And most don’t even have 200hrs when they start. Upgraded to AC by 1200hrs, absolutely.
"Well son, you don't need any flying experience for the military , but good thing you got that university degree, we wouldn't touch you without it"

Return to “General Comments”