Copilot app

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cfall
Rank 0
Rank 0

Copilot app

Post by cfall »

I recently found out that the copilot app is no longer available. What are people using for flight planning beside fore flight. I don’t want to pay monthly and need something that will mostly work offline after the initial set up.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Copilot app

Post by co-joe »

fltplan go is good once you get used to it.

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

co-joe wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:44 am fltplan go is good once you get used to it.
Yup

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

It will be interesting to see how long it will continue to be free now that Garmin bought it.

https://newsroom.garmin.com/press-relea ... ing-and-se

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I gave up on fltplan recently. The server for updates continually disconnects when trying to get updates. They fixed it by releasing a new version of the software that will continue an update rather than start from the beginning. I was using an older Samsung tablet (Galaxy Tab2) which will no longer complete and update, and not support by the most recent version. Also the current version is flaky at best on my phone. At times the entire chart will disappear, and I have to fight with it to come back. Usually at a really inconvenient time like edge of a control zone I am trying to stay out of flying NORDO VFR in a vintage plane. Oh well, guess I got what I paid for. It was good while it lasted.

After trying out Foreflight on a friends tablet, there's no looking back to fltplan. Not nearly as good, looking for a good deal on an iPad now. It's kind of like when you fly with a Lightspeed and someone hands you a Bose A20 to try out :)

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

August 29, 2018

Dear loyal FltPlan user:

Nineteen years ago, FltPlan was created to provide pilots with an accurate, reliable and integrated flight planning and filing service on the web. From there, FltPlan.com grew into the largest flight planning company in North America, creating 6.3 million flight plans annually. To our loyal customers that have supported us for nearly two decades, I am extremely grateful.

Today begins a new chapter for us, as I am pleased to announce that FltPlan has been acquired by Garmin International, a leading provider of avionics and flight deck technologies. Together with Garmin, we’re excited for the opportunity to merge the exceptional talents and strengths from each company to provide superior pre-flight, in-flight and post-flight solutions to the aviation industry.

Looking to the future, this acquisition will integrate FltPlan’s industry-leading web portal, FltPlan.com, and mobile application, FltPlan Go, into the Garmin ecosystem to create a superior portfolio of end-to-end services. Premium flight planning services and programs, such as FltLogic, FltPlan Manager, APIS/eAPIS, SMS, pre-departure clearances, international handling, overflight fees and more, will continue to grow and improve as we work together to expand the capabilities of FltPlan.com and FltPlan Go.

Garmin is committed to ensuring FltPlan continues to be the industry-leading choice for domestic and international electronic flight plan filing and services. Collectively, we are dedicated to increasing the quality of innovation, support and service that you have come to expect from our companies over the years.

Again, thank you for putting your trust in FltPlan over the years. We look forward to continuing to serve you as part of the Garmin family for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Ken Wilson
Founder
FltPlan.com (Flight Plan LLC)
Makes you wonder how much it will cost moving forward. I love the App. I use it all the time flight planning, especially for airports I've never been to, the "nearby" button is great for picking alternates, and the "CFS" button to the page of the flight sup you need is so quick. The updates can be a pain, but just having it on my phone in case the ipad shits the bed makes me feel more comfortable relying on technology.

Return to “General Comments”