As Air Canada soars, WestJet takes a predictable nosedive

Post by av8ts »

---------- ADS -----------

islandguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: As Air Canada soars, WestJet takes a predictable nosedive

Post by islandguy »

Boy, that guy doesn't have a bone to pick with Westjet at ALL...

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

I guess I read a completely different article because I see no bone being picked. I see issues being pointed out and the blame for those issues being pinned on the ones who are actually responsible for those issues. I see the point being made that it will be a big hill to climb for WJ and AC isn't going to make it easy for them. So, what is this bone you are talking about?

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Mach1 wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:39 am I guess I read a completely different article because I see no bone being picked. I see issues being pointed out and the blame for those issues being pinned on the ones who are actually responsible for those issues. I see the point being made that it will be a big hill to climb for WJ and AC isn't going to make it easy for them. So, what is this bone you are talking about?
The author ignored Air Canada's 2018 financial results and cherry-picked his data to state that AC has had three years of profits. At the same time as WestJet posted a $21 million loss, AC reported a $71 million dollar loss, which was their second of the year, but WestJet is the one that's imploding.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Diadem wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:03 am The author ignored Air Canada's 2018 financial results and cherry-picked his data to state that AC has had three years of profits. At the same time as WestJet posted a $21 million loss, AC reported a $71 million dollar loss, which was their second of the year, but WestJet is the one that's imploding.
Okay. I am not reading that with the same implications as you are... ie: one company = bad, one company = good. I do see that it is not an apples to apples comparison on the two companies and I think that's a fair statement for you to make. I am reading that there are concerns about the rate of growth (expansion) and number of directions WJ is simultaneously pursuing... while AC is an established player. Rapid expansion has killed many companies in many industries. I am reading that WJ has thrown away the formula that made them successful in favour of traditional airline models and they are now performing with traditional airline results.

If your issue is the lack of a similar attack on the Air Canada model, I can see that... but they haven't actually changed their business model. What they have changed is their attitude towards labour relations and that is going very well for them.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”