Missing airplane on flight from Penticton to Edmonton

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Missing airplane on flight from Penticton to Edmonton

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

It beggars belief
Care to elaborate ?
---------- ADS -----------

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

If Sully decided to blindly carry on to the airport ( due to conventional wisdom ) How many funerals do you think there would be if he didn't land on the water ?

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

aeroncasuperchief wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:20 pm
It beggars belief
Care to elaborate ?
Okay, if you wish. If you are in the clag, going slow and following the highway, why on earth wouldn't you just land on that long stretch of highway there? That is why precautionary landings are taught for the license. Roll the timeline back 20 minutes, and why not land at Revelstoke?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
P-40
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by P-40 »

RatherBeFlying wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:30 pm https://goo.gl/maps/gNR2RxcwFAD2

This is my guess for the location: yes, just off the TCH. I suspect the "structures" are canopy reflections.
The reflections totally make sense looking at the photo again. Truly amazing that the wreckage was so close to the highway and just discovered now. A lot of VFR traffic likely passed over the crash site this summer as well. The proverbial 'needle in a haystack' with the BCAS flight being at the right place, at the right time. Very sad, but expected outcome. It is some relief that the families/friends can now have some closure however.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

P-40 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:02 pmThe proverbial 'needle in a haystack' with the BCAS flight being at the right place, at the right time.
Keep in mind that they were actively looking for it. How many random GA flights passing through there would even have thought about what airplanes have crashed and not been found?

Is there a database somewhere of "lost aircraft" that one could review before embarking on a cross-country flight? That would give your passengers something to do as well...

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

There were reports of possible aircraft noise close to Roger's Pass. So the pilot may have turned around and possibly was attempting a precautionary landing. We'll eventually find out if the gear was down.

Turning radius, poor visibility, low ceiling and steep slopes in close proximity may have all come in play.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

The landing gear was down, so manouevering to land.

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

The landing gear was down, so maneuvering to land.
Its good to hear that he may have been instituting plan C ( plan B may have been to land at Revelstoke ? but now too late for that plan ? )

P-40
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by P-40 »

AirFrame wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:37 am
P-40 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:02 pmThe proverbial 'needle in a haystack' with the BCAS flight being at the right place, at the right time.
Keep in mind that they were actively looking for it. How many random GA flights passing through there would even have thought about what airplanes have crashed and not been found?

Is there a database somewhere of "lost aircraft" that one could review before embarking on a cross-country flight? That would give your passengers something to do as well...

The BCAS flight was returning from a mission in Field, they were not 'actively' looking for this downed aircraft, they just so happened to spot it following the highway to Golden. Who is to say other GA aircraft were not actively looking in this area while transiting this busy VFR aviation corridor this summer? In local GA aviation circles (YBW), it was well known that there was a downed aircraft presumably in the Revelstoke/RP area.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

RatherBeFlying wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:21 am There were reports of possible aircraft noise close to Roger's Pass. So the pilot may have turned around and possibly was attempting a precautionary landing. We'll eventually find out if the gear was down.

Turning radius, poor visibility, low ceiling and steep slopes in close proximity may have all come in play.
Yes. All of that.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

cncpc wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:51 pm
It beggars belief
Care to elaborate ?
Okay, if you wish. If you are in the clag, going slow and following the highway, why on earth wouldn't you just land on that long stretch of highway there? That is why precautionary landings are taught for the license. Roll the timeline back 20 minutes, and why not land at Revelstoke?
Obviously redundant now.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

P-40 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:05 amThe BCAS flight was returning from a mission in Field, they were not 'actively' looking for this downed aircraft, they just so happened to spot it following the highway to Golden.
Yes and no... The purpose of the flight wasn't to look for it, but they did say that they had it in mind every time they flew that route. That's still better than having no idea what's out there to look for.

Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

It beggars belief
Care to elaborate ?
Were you there? You're an idiot.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Rupert.Pupkin wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:18 am

Care to elaborate ?
No one who has commented in this very long thread was there.

None of them are idiots, nor am I. At a minimum, proof of this is that I do know the proper spelling of "Pumpkin".

Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

cncpc wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:05 am

None of them are idiots, nor am I. At a minimum, proof of this is that I do know the proper spelling of "Pumpkin".
People who "chime in" on what they would have done in an accident where there is loss of life makes me sick.If I wanted my name to be pumpkin it would be, thanks though.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Rupert.Pupkin wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:11 am

People who "chime in" on what they would have done in an accident where there is loss of life makes me sick.If I wanted my name to be pumpkin it would be, thanks though.
There's a time and place for your schtick, Rupert. This isn't it.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Rupert.Pupkin wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:11 am

Just because it makes you sick doesn’t mean the person who said it is an idiot. Offence is taken, not given

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spandau »

Is anything taught these days in flying school about route considerations, having options, survivability, etc? A couple of years ago two guys here at my home field ferried a -182 across Ontario and were a little intimidated afterwards by the remoteness of some of the country they had to fly across. When I asked them why they didn't modify their route a little to the south to stay "more in civilization" and more near the highway they just looked at me and said that they were flying direct A to B, and direct means DIRECT. Not flying directly to where they were going didn't even occur to them.

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

Spandau, I think thats a great point and having done my ppl 2 yrs ago I would say, “no”.
I think the situation is made worse by all of the great tech in our planes with an ipad that allows pilots to follow the magenta line instead of flying by landmarks. For me, it took realizing that I was putting myself in situations where no amount of altitude would give me an option and thats just silly. My flight planning now is very dufferent then 2 yrs ago!

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

waterdog wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:47 amI think the situation is made worse by all of the great tech in our planes with an ipad that allows pilots to follow the magenta line instead of flying by landmarks.
I'm starting to wonder if this concern is a red herring... at least for now. We've had handheld GPS' that would let us fly point-to-point for years, and we're all using the same waypoints for our trips, the same waypoints we'd use on a paper map. And yet, I don't recall hearing about a large increase in the number of collisions with planes travelling the same or opposite directions along the same routes while in the middle of their trips.

Are we all so sloppy that we're never actually on the lines at any given time? Or is it just that the number of movements is so low that the probability of seeing someone else in the same space at the same time is near zero?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”