First few years pay

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: First few years pay

Post by Rooster69 »

DHC7DVR wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:06 pm Is there much opportunity for Over Time? Do you bid for it? Or do they just call you from time to time and ask if your interested?

Getting by on what is effectively 54k for the first 12 months is going to be a serious challenge to say the least....

By the way, I appreciate that it may vary from type to type, what's the average salary at year 5?

Thanks!

Yes there is opportunity for Over Time. It does make a difference if you are mainline or Rouge. There has been a lot of moaning and groaning at mainline about about when and if the pilots on OT get the Draft premium.

Rouge is straightforward. You get called for Draft, you get paid double time and a half.
You put your name in for VO(voluntary overtime) you get paid time and a half.

Mainline has Draft and VO . Draft is time and a half.
VO is straight time.

Someone else an explain as to when you get the Draft premium at mainline. The guys that re-wrote/ negotiated that part of the contract are idiots.
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Rooster69 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:56 pm Mainline has Draft and VO .
Draft is time and a half.
VO is straight time.

Someone else an explain as to when you get the Draft premium at mainline. The guys that re-wrote/ negotiated that part of the contract are idiots.
I agree that those who renegotiated draft at Mainline made a mistake, but might as well get the details right...

VO is straight time to DBM,
VO is 50% premium above DBM
85 hour premium is 50%,
Draft is always 50% premium.

So depending on where you are in the blocking window DBM +1/-5, at depending what DBM is, 85 hours some months, you could be right into double time for any extra flying... You could be straight time for the first few hours too... I pick the months I'm willing to do an extra trip accordingly.

Draft premium they don't like to acknowledge anymore. But you can tell them you'll do a trip with draft premium only if you're under DBM, and if they need you you'll get it.
Or tell them you'll do draft with drop ONLY. That's really the best, but it's harder to get... last resort kinda thing.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

What does draft and drop get you?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Dry Guy wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:19 am What does draft and drop get you?
Keep whichever is the higher of credit for the new trip or dropped trip, plus get paid 50% premium on all flying that is not within the original pairing footprint.

For example.
Scheduled for a 2 day trip, tomorrow, YYZ-YVR-YYZ. 10 hours pay.
Crew sked offers draft/drop to take a 2 day trip today YYZ-YYC-YYZ. 9 hours pay.
I still get paid the 10 hours I was originally blocked, plus a 50% premium on the flying that was before my original pairing was to start.
If the original pairing was an afternoon check-in and the new pairing is an early flight back to YYZ. I would collect premium on the whole new trip. So 10 hours pay, plus 4.5 hours premium.

There are lots of ways it can work out though. I've dropped crappy 4 day trips to get an easy 2 day trip all at premium. Less days, more money, sign me up... just depends how desperate they are.

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

altiplano wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:40 pm Consumers... :roll:

lol...
Well I just got denied to rent an apartment in Toronto because I don't earn enough. So wages matter in more things than just being a "consumer".

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

Its interesting how complicated it has become to work out how much you actually earn at an airline these days (thats how the airlines want it)
the title was first few years pay....to me that is how much is in my bank account when I get paid after flying my allotted schedule.
earning 50 anything a year to fly a narrow body airliner is absolute shit and its very difficult to live off of period...unless your other half has a real job.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

CAL wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:36 am Its interesting how complicated it has become to work out how much you actually earn at an airline these days (thats how the airlines want it)
the title was first few years pay....to me that is how much is in my bank account when I get paid after flying my allotted schedule.
earning 50 anything a year to fly a narrow body airliner is absolute shit and its very difficult to live off of period...unless your other half has a real job.
I agree that it's shit pay... perhaps sadly though, it's a raise from pre:2012 where first 2 years flat pay really was flat pay at <40K no matter what... ie. no OT pay.

I'll help you work it out though...

2018 F/O pay rates:
1 - $58.88
2 - $64.38
3 - $73.73

Add 2% every April.

Multiply by 900 at mainline and multiply by 930 at rouge. That's your base pay guaranteed.

Add another 20 hours for training every year. (22.5 rouge)

At mainline expect another 30-50 hours if you hold a block all year - without any OT.

If you do OT, expect more at a premium, only you can decide how much more you want to work at 1.5-2.5x your rate. 100 hours a month? I think you're crazy, but some are doing it.

If you're in ESOP at max rate add 3.3% to your earnings (assuming no capital gain/loss).

Add in what the company pays for your pension. Someone can correct me perhaps, but I believe it's 10.5% of earnings in the new TBP.

Expect about $10K profit share in the first few years assuming the economy keeps chugging.

100% paid short/long term disability, medical, dental, some life insurance.

Here's an example...
Assumptions -
you showed up April this year for your first year
paid for the bare guarantee minimum at Mainline
low hour blocks, <75/month, or reserve guarantee
NO overtime
minimum sim/art training
participate at maximum in ESOP
AC turns a profit and we get profit share:

900 hour guarantee+training =$54,170
+3.33% ESOP match =$1804
+$10k profit share =$10,000

Then deductions...
pre-tax union dues (1.5%ish) not on ESOP,
pre-tax pension contribution (7.5%) not on ESOP or profit share,

I've got you at about $60950 taxable income after you union dues and pension paid - taxes after that.

Let's say you're in BC.
federal/provincial/cpp/ei = $13,860
Remainder = $47,090 after deductions

Not pay, but I get about $1200/month per diem, yrmv depending on where you fly, and you said you want to know what's in your bank account end of the month.

So, without turning a wheel of OT, assuming minimum blocks and only the guarantee, profit share, and max ESOP participation, average per diem, plus 18% paid into your TBP pension, and full benefits. I've got you at an average take home of $5125 per month, year one AC mainline F/O.

Again YRMV... there may be a few taxable benefits that I'm not factoring here, parking at some bases is a taxable benefit, the employer paid life insurance is too... but I think they're minimal in the scope of this example, marginal tax rate 28.2%. Maybe you participate in extra group life insurance that is available from both the company and ACPA... Far cheaper than the open market, so maybe knock a few more bucks off for these kind of things if you think it's up your alley.

If you want to go over other scenarios I'd be happy to help.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

wow
Thanks Altiplano for putting that together
I hope you have a consultancy business on the side

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

I take home about $4300 a month. Don't believe the hype.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Dry Guy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:01 am I take home about $4300 a month. Don't believe the hype.
No intention to be hype. My number was an average, and a bit of a rough number.... Including profit share. Including ESOP. Including SIM/ART pay. I think it's reasonably accurate.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

Thanks Dry Guy
Good to see it from someone doing it....
guess no one has time to post too busy trying to make more money
lets split the difference at 4800 net income or 57600 per annum.

Rent 1,500 (if your lucky)
vehicle plus gas 500
food 1000
utilities 350
misc 500

total 3850

missing anything here?....ya probably tons of stuff if your kinda normal

That leaves you 1k per month......

does the airline consider the cost of living when they set salary numbers like this and the overall well being of the people in the front of their assets zooming around the world?

sad to say even when there is hiring its still crap
not much has changed

marry well folks
good luck

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

That's pretty high for COL.

I know I'm not the average but with careful searching I was able to find a one bedroom apartment for $1000/mo in Richmond. My food bill is around $500, utilities/internet $100, car expenses approx $400. I live a pretty comfortable lifestyle, although I do make more than AC starting pay I have been building my life and expenses around a potential future pay cut to go to mainline. I don't feel my lifestyle will change much if at all. Probably less vacations but I'm ok with that for a few years.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

I could be wrong but I would say you are far from average.....
Although there are some very frugal people...especially pilots
500 for food?
what do you eat?
so your heat/power/cell etc are 100 a month?
and a one bedroom assumes you only need 1 bedroom
point is entry level at AC is only geared for certain folks
i wonder if that is part of the matrix

Last edited by CAL on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

altiplano wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:01 pm
Dry Guy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:01 am I take home about $4300 a month. Don't believe the hype.
No intention to be hype. My number was an average, and a bit of a rough number.... Including profit share. Including ESOP. Including SIM/ART pay. I think it's reasonably accurate.
I don't think potential annual profit sharing bonus should be included in your take home pay numbers. After all you are not WestJet :D

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

no it shouldnt I just took his word for it.....
in which case lets stay with 4300
makes it even worse

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Victory wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:37 am I don't think potential annual profit sharing bonus should be included in your take home pay numbers. After all you are not WestJet :D
Yeah because those big cheques in April aren't real...

You are welcome to make your own set of numbers.

My numbers reflect what someone joining in the past few years would have received... for showing up for the minimum... I didn't include anything beyond the 75 hour/month guarantee, let alone OT, etc.

yvrpilot82
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrpilot82 »

The other airline alternative being Westjet. Take home pay for a first year FO around $1400 per pay cheque.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

I don't know how we got in this situation where pilot only get paid if the airline is profitable. It is not real salary.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Air Canada could pay $500 bucks a month for the first 4 years and they would still be flooded with applicants. The rotten part is for the guys/gals who have been flying for several years and then have to bend over and take another pay cut.

Let’s Go Brandon
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

CAL wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:30 am I could be wrong but I would say you are far from average.....
Although there are some very frugal people...especially pilots
500 for food?
what do you eat?
so your heat/power/cell etc are 100 a month?
and a one bedroom assumes you only need 1 bedroom
point is entry level at AC is only geared for certain folks
i wonder if that is part of the matrix
Yeah I understand I am. I'm just sharing an example of what works for me. I am by no means living a sad life... I go traveling regularly and still manage to put about a grand away a month. I'm still a reserve pilot and my per diem check is pretty minimal. I take home about $1870 twice a month plus anywhere from $500-1200 in per diems depending on how much I fly.

Heat and water are included with my rent. My hydro is about $15/month and internet is $80. Cell is $90 (Canada USA call text data 15 gigs) I forgot to add that in the original post.

I eat a lot of fresh food, fruit, veggies, rice, beans, chicken, oats, yogurt etc. Maybe it's a bit low, $650? I don't really track it but just from memory I spend about $40-60 ever few (5-6) days. At the most I spend $100 a week and then add a bit from eating out or grabbing a brew with buddies.

It took me a while to learn how to properly grocery shop. I don't buy food that will inevitably get tossed. The bonus of buying bulk veggies and fruit is it's all by weight. Bulk rice, beans, chicken (freeze it) goes a long way. No reason to buy more than you KNOW you'll need, if you need more just go buy it. I used to throw a lot of food away.

Return to “Air Canada”