US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: US turning people away at the boarder for investments in pot.

Post by rookiepilot »

It isn't law abiding in the United States....just saying.
We need to respect this.
---------- ADS -----------

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

It shouldn't matter. Canadian company, Canadian money, Canadian exchange.

Americans can carry sidearms in many states. You don't see Canada turning them away at the border for doing something that's legal in their country.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

How would this even be enforced with pilot's is the real question? Not allowed off the plane? No layovers, or Canadian carriers can't fly into US. None of the above is feasible in my opinion. I agree lightchop. All bark no bite

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

This subject is really quite simple.

U.S. customs and boarder agents can refuse you entrance for any reason they deem necessary, anything having to do with cannabis has been one of their reasons to refuse entry for many decades.

If you lie to them and get caught you will be guaranteed to be banned for life.

If you are flying for an airline and own stock in cannabis and they ban you, you may have to find another line of work.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Several Americans were caught with concealed weapons( mostly handguns) trying to sneak them through NB Border checkpoints into Canada, saying they need them for protection. Give Canadians a rough time on weed threatening lifetime ban, do same for the Yanks with their weapons entering here.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Immediate family member is a CBSA officer. There are lots of daily examples of different ideas each country has about what is to be enforced more strenously. Canada has always treated US DUI convictions more harshly than the Americans treat similar Canadian convictions, for example.

The bizarre thing about the US and marijuana is they can't even pull their heads out to resolve the fact that certain of their own states have legalized pot, while it remains criminalized federally. But the border protection is most definitely federal and can bar entry for whatever they want. Draconian, but legal.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

complexintentions wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:55 am

But the border protection is most definitely federal and can bar entry for whatever they want. Draconian, but legal.
....and that is true in every country out there.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

So are they going to deny entry to their own citizens who use pot legally in the legal states?

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:15 am
complexintentions wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:55 am

But the border protection is most definitely federal and can bar entry for whatever they want. Draconian, but legal.
....and that is true in every country out there.
Um...yes, but not really relevant to a discussion about a specific issue crossing one specific border. Pretty sure there aren't any other countries barring Canadians from entering their countries based solely on their investment in pot. Are there, do you know?

And while we're at it let's stop all this nonsense about Canada having a special relationship with the US and accept that we're just another enemy/competitor as they view every other country now.

Say, is America great again yet? Jes wonderin'... :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

complexintentions wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:17 am And while we're at it let's stop all this nonsense about Canada having a special relationship with the US and accept that we're just another enemy/competitor as they view every other country now.
Exactly. And while we`re at it, enough of the bleeting about how 'our friend' Mexico left us at the NAFTA altar in favour of a bilateral deal with the U.S. And about how our 'European friends' shockingly didn't rally to our support when we lectured the Saudis about human rights.

It's a jungle out there, and the only people who will look after our interests are ourselves. Time we grew a pair, already.

Boeing757
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Boeing757 »

Lol you don’t even own the shares. If you bank with TD or any bank, it says shares bought or sold by the applicable trading firm. If you get denied you outed your self. This is why shares can be shorted since there in the banks name. But let’s be honest here pilots like to brag ( big sunglasses and useless sized watch) so I can see junoir pilots outting then selves sha

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

The only way this is going to get you into trouble is if you’re being an asshole at the border. They aren’t going to dig that far into your financial activity unless you run your mouth and give them a reason.
As the old saying goes: Just Say No!

Let’s Go Brandon
pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Lightchop wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:40 amI'm sure there are more than a few lawyers who would be more than interested in taking up the case.
So you want to spend $50,000 in legal fees just to enter the worst country on earth?

I knew I shouldve sold my stocks in Marapharm.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

goingnowherefast wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:16 pm Don't answer the question. Say "If I refuse to answer that question, will I be denied entry?"
You will be denied entry for the day, but not banned "for life"...

Das ist mir wurst...
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

So owning stocks in Pot companies, in a country (Canada) where it is (will be) legal, makes you a criminal, but owning stocks in General Dynamics, Ratheon, etc that make weapons that kill millions of people a year is NOT ILLEGAL! Got it. With each passing day I have less and less desire to travel to 'Merica. Unfortunately, our jobs take us there whether we want to or not. Canadian politicians and their policies failed to realize how much of a risk it is to base most of our economy with trade with the US. That will change though.

Das ist mir wurst...
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:44 pm It isn't law abiding in the United States....just saying.
We need to respect this.
Why? The US doesn't determine what is legal in Canada. You are not breaking any law in the United States by owning Canadian stock in a Canadian bank account. Just like Americans aren't breaking any Canadian laws by owning automatic weapons in the US.

You could argue they can decide who can and can not enter the US, but if they start pulling stunts like that, Canada could (and should, really) do the same. Or any country could start acting like that. It would be a disaster.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

digits_ wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:37 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:44 pm It isn't law abiding in the United States....just saying.
We need to respect this.
Why? The US doesn't determine what is legal in Canada. You are not breaking any law in the United States by owning Canadian stock in a Canadian bank account. Just like Americans aren't breaking any Canadian laws by owning automatic weapons in the US.

You could argue they can decide who can and can not enter the US, but if they start pulling stunts like that, Canada could (and should, really) do the same. Or any country could start acting like that. It would be a disaster.
You hit the nail on the head.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Is the US referring to recreational pot investment? Canadians have been investing in medical pot companies for years with no repercussions from our Murican border friends that I know of.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

FICU wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:56 pm Is the US referring to recreational pot investment? Canadians have been investing in medical pot companies for years with no repercussions from our Murican border friends that I know of.
Medical marijuana may be legal in some U.S. states, but it remains illegal under U.S. federal law. It's a Schedule 1 substance, defined as having no medical use and a high potential for abuse. As an immigration lawyer said, "You might as well be doing business with Pablo Escobar, selling cocaine in the U.S." The feds would see it in the same way. It may be ridiculous but this is the situation.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

So you want to spend $50,000 in legal fees just to enter the worst country on earth?
Obviously you have not travelled much if you think the USA is the worst country on earth.

Or you are just saying that for effect.

I am amazed at the amount of dislike for America there is in the pilot group, however regardless of your personal feelings they can and will deny you entry if they want to.

And if you are flying for an airline that may affect your employment status.

One of the best flying jobs I ever had was flying an American registered airplane for a private company under part 91, it was light years ahead of flying anything registered under Canadian regstration.

And two of my pilots licenses were done in the U.S. one in Detroit and one in Oregon.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”