Flight Instructor Bursary/Grant

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AMelotti
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight Instructor Bursary/Grant

Post by AMelotti »

Hey guys and gals,

I am looking into doing my instructor rating at Air Richelieu in YHU. When speaking with them they mentioned that the government has a grant/bursary that will help pay for a fairy large portion of the training. Seeing as I just finished my Multi/Ifr rating money isn't in abundance. I've looking everywhere but cannot seem to find said bursary/grant.

Has anyone hear of or know about how I can apply for this grant if it even exists.

Thank you!
---------- ADS -----------

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Flight Instructor Bursary/Grant

Post by Skymark »

Have not heard of this. Having just finished my rating, this would have been nice! As they mentioned it, maybe they can provide more info?

AMelotti
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AMelotti »

Skymark wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:20 pm Have not heard of this. Having just finished my rating, this would have been nice! As they mentioned it, maybe they can provide more info?
I asked 4 different people at the school about it and none of them can help. Super frustrating, if they don't know how to get it why mention it to me. I phoned another school about it waiting for their response.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Never heard of it, but maybe it's relatively new? Be a step to getting some more instructors signed up at least. However, my money would be on fairy tale heard from a cousin of a friend of a friend....

AMelotti
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AMelotti »

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:54 pm Never heard of it, but maybe it's relatively new? Be a step to getting some more instructors signed up at least. However, my money would be on fairy tale heard from a cousin of a friend of a friend....
That is what i am thinking as well. Or just the school is trying to get people to enroll quickly thinking they have the money... Would be a bad idea if there's any truth to that.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Maybe they're talking about getting some of it back in taxes as a writeoff as professional expense. For example spending 6k will get you back roughly 2k in tax credits.

I don't think we're at the point where the government is stepping in to solve a problem caused by lack of pay from the industry.

AMelotti
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AMelotti »

FL007 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:36 am Maybe they're talking about getting some of it back in taxes as a writeoff as professional expense. For example spending 6k will get you back roughly 2k in tax credits.

I don't think we're at the point where the government is stepping in to solve a problem caused by lack of pay from the industry.
Could be a possibility for sure. Will keep on looking into it for sure. Generally when you have a shortage in an industry you'd try to entice people to join it but that doesn't seem to be a the case here.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

AMelotti wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:22 pm
FL007 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:36 am Maybe they're talking about getting some of it back in taxes as a writeoff as professional expense. For example spending 6k will get you back roughly 2k in tax credits.

Could be a possibility for sure. Will keep on looking into it for sure. Generally when you have a shortage in an industry you'd try to entice people to join it but that doesn't seem to be a the case here.
It's been said a million times there's no shortage. Just a shortage of companies willing to pay people to stay. I've said it before, I'd quit my airline job to be an instructor forever if they'd pay well enough. I'm not talking 6 figures either.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

FL007 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:07 pm

It's been said a million times there's no shortage. Just a shortage of companies willing to pay people to stay. I've said it before, I'd quit my airline job to be an instructor forever if they'd pay well enough. I'm not talking 6 figures either.
Well paid flight instructors would be nice to see. I do wonder though what that would mean for the cost of training. I don't believe there are huge profit margins in the flight training business.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

ant_321 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:32 pm
FL007 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Well paid flight instructors would be nice to see. I do wonder though what that would mean for the cost of training. I don't believe there are huge profit margins in the flight training business.
Well when you charge students $50-70/hr for instruction you're only stealing from the instructors when you pay them $15. Each student is paying upwards of 30k/yr for full time instruction, so lower the overhead and pay instructors more of a percentage of that $50.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Canada Manpower would be a good place to inquire about this bursary

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

The school "mentioned" it to you but you can't get any further info? I'd be a bit more diligent... you're saying the person who told you isn't talking any more? Sounds like a gangster movie.

Anyways,
For the instructor rating there's a tax break, you don't have to pay HST, or PST, or GST, or something. I can't keep up with what tax is called this week.

Also there's the second career funding.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

FL007 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:20 pm so lower the overhead and pay instructors more of a percentage
I don’t know anyone at any level of any flight school (including owners who are getting rich, so I wonder where this reduction in overhead would come from. Getting your instructors to do double duty in the office would just reduce their capacity for the production of revenue, sort of defeating the purpose of the whole thing.

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

lownslow wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:25 am
FL007 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:20 pm so lower the overhead and pay instructors more of a percentage
I don’t know anyone at any level of any flight school (including owners who are getting rich, so I wonder where this reduction in overhead would come from. Getting your instructors to do double duty in the office would just reduce their capacity for the production of revenue, sort of defeating the purpose of the whole thing.
Someone's making money, whether schools are building ad-ons or getting more planes, there's overhead somewhere to cut into.

Return to “General Comments”