Flightaware?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Flightaware?

Post by geneticistx »

Just curious...
I typed in my registration into flightaware and it had posted a flight I did from a Canadian airport to a US Airport. No other flights had been recorded or displayed. I don't have ads-b out. But I do have a garmin inreach.

Any ideas on how flightaware works?

m
---------- ADS -----------

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Flightaware?

Post by BGH »

It uses radar,were you squawking a discrete code?
It shows all my ifr flights & all my vfr ones that I’m issued a discrete code.

Daryl

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

if you register, you get flights that dont have a flight plan. If you dont have ADSB almost none of the times you simply use flight following will show up, just flight plan ones.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

In the past, we only ever saw IFR flights, no VFR, even though we always get a discreet code for entering the TCA. Do VFR flights now show up?

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

VFR flights in Canada show up if you're on a flight plan and in radar coverage. In the U.S. VFR flights show up if you're on a code, i.e. flight following.

This is why a couple of the segments from my flight to Seattle in August (C-GWHG) appear to start in mid-flight, when Seattle Approach gave me my code and told me "Radar identified. Remain clear of the Bravo." My flight across the border northbound (KFHR to CZBB) was on an active flight plan, I had a code from Seattle Radio, I was talking to Victoria Terminal most of the way, but nothing in Flightaware. No idea why.

...laura

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

thanks! I fly mostly in non-radar covered airspace. Next time I do a route in radar serviced area, i'll go back on to Flightaware to check it out.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I think it depends on how ATC enters you into the system. Every flight I've done in the USA with a flight plan or border crossing has shown up VFR. Aside from that I've only ever had 1 VFR flight show up. It doesn't seem to matter if I have flight following and/or filed a flight plan either. Perhaps someone who works for NavCanada has more insight?

The plane I'm flying now has ADSB out, so it always shows up! I've been contemplating some Flightaware artwork, but I doubt the owner would appreciated it. :)

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Here's the scoop from Flightaware's FAQ...
Flightaware wrote:Can FlightAware track VFR flights? What about a VFR flight with a flight plan?
VFR flight tracking is not officially supported although some aircraft flying VFR with flight following or aircraft that are ADS-B equipped, tracking is available by turning on position-only flights on your account. Origin, destination, departure, arrival, and flight plan data may not be available. In Australia, VFR flights are fully supported by FlightAware as long as they have been assigned a transponder code.

VFR flight plans are irrelevant and only used by FSS for search and rescue. We suggest ensuring that aircraft are on an IFR flight plan from wheels up to wheels down for proper tracking.
Flightaware also wrote:What is a position-only flight?
A position-only flight is a flight for which FlightAware has not received a filed flight plan, for example a VFR flight. In those cases, if we receive position reports via ADS-B or another source, the flight can be trackable as a position-only flight.

Note that position-only flights are by nature less accurate, since FlightAware has not received a filed origin, destination, or route, and the aircraft may enter and leave areas of coverage throughout the flight.

How do I see position-only flights?
Either log into your account or join FlightAware. You will need to activate your account via email after joining.
Go to your account settings, look for a section titled "Position-Only Flights" and click the button for "show position-only flights."
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save."

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain

Return to “General Comments”