exam questions trying to hunt down

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

exam questions trying to hunt down

Post by AirCanuck »

Apparently Transport Canada requires 705 crew to receive training in avoiding CFIT. It specifies something like 4 or 5 things you can do to avoid it. This is another exam question I'm trying to hunt down - we don't receive this training in the Air Force and I can't for the life of me find it anywhere in TC documents. Can anyone be of service?

The apparently include things like being familiar with the terrain, knowing how your GPWS works and when to react to it, etc.

Second question is a stat that I also cannot find - the leading cause of ATC communication errors.

A third is good qualities of an AC. I seem to remember seeing them somewhere but again I can't find the darned document!

Any help would be appreciated. I've got about 30 tabs open on my computer and 5 books open on my desk.

Thanks all,

AC
---------- ADS -----------

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: exam questions trying to hunt down

Post by AirCanuck »

A visual illusion question I can't track down -

An aircraft is approaching you head on what will it appear to do as it gets closer.

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spandau »

AirCanuck wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:43 am A visual illusion question I can't track down -

An aircraft is approaching you head on what will it appear to do as it gets closer.
In my experience, they get wider. :rolleyes:

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

AirCanuck wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:34 am Apparently Transport Canada requires 705 crew to receive training in avoiding CFIT. It specifies something like 4 or 5 things you can do to avoid it. This is another exam question I'm trying to hunt down - we don't receive this training in the Air Force and I can't for the life of me find it anywhere in TC documents. Can anyone be of service?

The apparently include things like being familiar with the terrain, knowing how your GPWS works and when to react to it, etc.

Second question is a stat that I also cannot find - the leading cause of ATC communication errors.

A third is good qualities of an AC. I seem to remember seeing them somewhere but again I can't find the darned document!

Any help would be appreciated. I've got about 30 tabs open on my computer and 5 books open on my desk.

Thanks all,

AC
Question #1 - CFIT, not sure specifically what they are looking for in that question. Not setting correct MDA/DH, illusions at night i.e blackhole, CDA vs stepdown approaches, loss of situational (3D) awareness are some ideas that can contribute to CFIT.

Question #2 - ATC communication Errors, #1 cause is readback/hearback errors. There are many contributing factors to that error including but not limited to: similar callsign, controller/pilot workloads, pilot/controller expectations, frequency changes, etc.

Question #3 - Oncoming aircraft it gets bigger and maintains its position on the windscreen, if it moves down the windscreen its lower in altitude etc.

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AirCanuck »

Spandau wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:20 pm
AirCanuck wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:43 am A visual illusion question I can't track down -

In my experience, they get wider. :rolleyes:
yeah for some reason I was thinking it wasn't that simple... seems silly for an ATPL question but ok!

AirCanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AirCanuck »

BE02 Driver wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:32 pm
AirCanuck wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:34 am Apparently Transport Canada requires 705 crew to receive training in avoiding CFIT. It specifies something like 4 or 5 things you can do to avoid it. This is another exam question I'm trying to hunt down - we don't receive this training in the Air Force and I can't for the life of me find it anywhere in TC documents. Can anyone be of service?

Thanks all,

AC
Question #1 - CFIT, not sure specifically what they are looking for in that question. Not setting correct MDA/DH, illusions at night i.e blackhole, CDA vs stepdown approaches, loss of situational (3D) awareness are some ideas that can contribute to CFIT.

Question #2 - ATC communication Errors, #1 cause is readback/hearback errors. There are many contributing factors to that error including but not limited to: similar callsign, controller/pilot workloads, pilot/controller expectations, frequency changes, etc.

Question #3 - Oncoming aircraft it gets bigger and maintains its position on the windscreen, if it moves down the windscreen its lower in altitude etc.
The CFIT one - they are looking specifically at ways to prevent it.

For the ATC answer, is that personal experience or from a publication?

cheers and thanks!

Return to “General Comments”