China_CAAC's Merged Threads

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The End of the WPDL Confirmed

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

mbav8r wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:14 am
JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 am Anyone remember when the Jazz pilots flying the 757 were the lowest paid in North America? They made even less than the Skyservice guys before them.
Oh Johnny, you make me laugh, thanks again:)
Consider it free therapy. I have used that line on you so many times that it no longer provokes a hateful outburst! You’re welcome!
---------- ADS -----------

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:40 pm
mbav8r wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:14 am
JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 am Anyone remember when the Jazz pilots flying the 757 were the lowest paid in North America? They made even less than the Skyservice guys before them.
Oh Johnny, you make me laugh, thanks again:)
Consider it free therapy. I have used that line on you so many times that it no longer provokes a hateful outburst! You’re welcome!
What were those rates Johnny? Seen it referenced a few times, never seen numbers.

S.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

It seems that a lot of (angry) comments come from outside WestJet, be it Jazz (not really sure why), be it Encore, in addition to the ones that presumably have been coming from a vocal minority at WestJet. It is all a choice how one spends one's precious time and energy. Keep in mind though, one also does attract more of the same energy that one puts out. Do some research on the effects of "anger" on one's health, it may be illuminating! When the sages of the past said to eschew all anger, they were saying it mainly for our own health, not to mention peace in society! Peace!

musicalpilotchairs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by musicalpilotchairs »

So that’s why junior T and his band of merry men (people😄) are legalizing pot. So we can be stupid numb and not care or get angry about what these clowns are doing.
It all makes sense now. Pass the bong.

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

SWOOP OTS Captains punted from left seat...

Post by RidersRule »

As per the interm order from Kaplan...

Swoop pilots will hold a position at the Hamilton base that their seniority allows...

Last edited by RidersRule on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: SWOOP OTS Captains punted from left seat...

Post by JLA »

Victory! Well done westjet pilots from the other side ;)

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

I don’t think he’ll be nearly as smug today. Hope you like that right seat. Still more than he deserves but a reasonable decision nonetheless.

FurHat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FurHat »

It looks like they are all pay protected, so I imagine they won't be too upset.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex DC10 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ex DC10 Driver »

I can’t remember when I last enjoyed a thread topic description as much as this one!!

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

Any chance that report can be linked or posted here? Thx.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Great news, deserved.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

RidersRule wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:13 am As per the interm order from Kaplan...

Swoop pilots will hold a position at the Hamilton base that their seniority allows...

Comments Tablyx...
Unexpected and causing a bit of a shitshow over here at the moment.
Gonna be an interesting week. I’m not in the airplane much anyways, too busy in the sim. I’m not sure how Kaplan intends to staff the training department here unless he expects more experienced WestJet captains to come over at mainline rates to do the training from Dec onwards.

Either way it doesn’t affect my pay and I don’t sit in either the left or right seat in the sim, so I’m good for now. Our contract doesn’t freeze us at $103 an hour, we step up to level 3 so that should continue and give guys lots of time to decide how they want to play it. As much as some of the children will gloat over this there are some pretty good experienced crew in the OTS group that Swoop really doesn’t want to lose.

To be honest it’s been really good for Swoop to have the Encore guys and now some WestJet upgrades come over. The guys we are seeing in the sim and online have all been pretty sharp given the experience levels. WestJet did all the recruiting screening for us and we likely wouldn’t have been able to attract as many good pilots if we’d have had to go off the street for all the hiring. However none have the experience to take over the training department duties and I doubt mainline guys that do have the experience are going to come over here at the current pay and crew scheduling setup

So either Kaplan intends to give you pay parity with mainline which also would be quite surprising, or he’s going to have to come up with a quick interim order #3 detailing how he intends to have the swoop training department staffed. Not sure he really thought that one out. It’ll be an interesting week for sure.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

With this decision made, I see that Kaplan, in his ruling, refers to a creature known as the Westjet PIlot Seniority List. There is no such creature available in the last negotiated WJPA pilot agreement, nor have I been able to find such a creature available on any WJ internal resource. I'd like to see where I sit on a Westjet Pilot Seniority List. All I know is where I sit on a Westjet Pilot Departmenttal List, which is a different and soon to be extinct creature.

Attachments
OrderSeptember302018.pdf
(287.94 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Rezy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rezy »

tbaylx wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:37 am
RidersRule wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:13 am As per the interm order from Kaplan...

Comments Tablyx...
Gonna be an interesting week. I’m not in the airplane much anyways, too busy in the sim. I’m not sure how Kaplan intends to staff the training department here unless he expects more experienced WestJet captains to come over at mainline rates to do the training from Dec onwards.

Either way it doesn’t affect my pay and I don’t sit in either the left or right seat in the sim, so I’m good for now. Our contract doesn’t freeze us at $103 an hour, we step up to level 3 so that should continue and give guys lots of time to decide how they want to play it. As much as some of the children will gloat over this there are some pretty good experienced crew in the OTS group that Swoop really doesn’t want to lose.

To be honest it’s been really good for Swoop to have the Encore guys and now some WestJet upgrades come over. The guys we are seeing in the sim and online have all been pretty sharp given the experience levels. WestJet did all the recruiting screening for us and we likely wouldn’t have been able to attract as many good pilots if we’d have had to go off the street for all the hiring. However none have the experience to take over the training department duties and I doubt mainline guys that do have the experience are going to come over here at the current pay and crew scheduling setup

So either Kaplan intends to give you pay parity with mainline which also would be quite surprising, or he’s going to have to come up with a quick interim order #3 detailing how he intends to have the swoop training department staffed. Not sure he really thought that one out. It’ll be an interesting week for sure.
You will be “frozen” at $103 an hour. Pay protected does not mean you can get raises. And it will be pay protected until you can bid somewhere else.
Perhaps you didn’t get the memo...WestJet is doing Swoop pilot training starting in November.
Best of luck.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

We have a world class 737 training department at WestJet, finding trainers won't be an issue; especially now that we are a common employer. I would be surprised if our SOP's don't become more aligned to allow for greater ease of transfer between the companies. Paying money to train people to fly the exact same plane with slightly different SOP's isn't going to last.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Rezy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:51 am
tbaylx wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:37 am

Comments Tablyx...

You will be “frozen” at $103 an hour. Pay protected does not mean you can get raises. And it will be pay protected until you can bid somewhere else.
Perhaps you didn’t get the memo...WestJet is doing Swoop pilot training starting in November.
Best of luck.
The entire swoop flight ops didn’t get that memo. Good to hear, I’d rather fly anyways.
It’s a seperate OC, just like encore swoop still needs their own line indoc pilots and ACPs. They can contract the sim work out.

B757FO
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by B757FO »

You cannot hold a acp or B check position as a first officer so the company will have to have mainline trainers come over and do it. There are several Ex acp pilots at encore and westjet transitioning to swoop who will gladly step up to be acps at swoop. We will be just fine thanks. In honesty I thank you guys for helping launch our airline and look forward to you staying professional as we have through the transition.

Dyna
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dyna »

tbaylx,

If you think you're in-disposable and integral to the success of Swoop, think again. There are a large number of highly qualified pilots at mainline that will easily replace you, yes even to fill the upcoming void in the training department.

The only reason you and your ilk are there is because you're low rent, second rate and willing to work at a discount. It has nothing to do with what you brought to the table talent wise.

You could have applied to mainline and helped to support this industry as a united group. You chose a different path. Enjoy the bed you made.

Return to “WestJet”