Cannabis Policy ???

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Cannabis Policy ???

Post by Stan Darsh »

pianokeys wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:09 am But, as I said, even though the precedent is there, who in there right mind wants to blow $50,000+ in legal fees against Big Red just so you can smoke a $10 spliff?
Well, most Air Canada employees have a thing called a "union".
---------- ADS -----------

N181CS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by N181CS »

Last edited by N181CS on Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

Comparing the military flying on go/no-go pills to an AC pilot smoking weed is apples to oranges. The military generally has a higher risk tolerance, the pills are not a recreational use, and the approval/issue/use is closely supervised by a flight surgeon. Amphetamines are also an upper, Cannabis on the other hand is a hallucinogen/downer. Very different set of effects. FWIW, in the RCAF the only medication you are approved to take without flight surgeon consult/approval is regular strength Tylenol.

The pressure thing is quite real, though with modern pressurization differentials it’s unlikely to factor heavily unless a rapid decompression occurs. However, I’m sure the airlines are keen to keep their crews top-notch just in case an emergency occurs.

Just because people used to do something hardly makes it safe or intelligent. Time moves on and progress is made. I think taking a conservative approach by airline companies makes sense until more comprehensive research and testing regimes are available.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Stan Darsh wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:26 am
pianokeys wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:09 am But, as I said, even though the precedent is there, who in there right mind wants to blow $50,000+ in legal fees against Big Red just so you can smoke a $10 spliff?
Yeah Im well aware of the unions AC has. But again, you think the union lawyers are going to go to bat for you so you can light a roach?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

pianokeys wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:03 am
Yeah Im well aware of the unions AC has. But again, you think the union lawyers are going to go to bat for you so you can light a roach?
Already are. All the AC unions are pushing back against this. Joint letter was sent this week.

It isn't about being able to smoke a joint or whatever, it's about unilaterally creating policy that limits employees and legal behaviour, outside the workplace, without basis or consult.

You want to limit this? No problem. But some office guy can't just make something up and say this is the way it's going to be.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

N181CS wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:30 am
Correct me if I am wrong on this point but I believe a ppl can even have a beer and still go flying so long as they are under the .8 and a cpl can fly (in Canada) with a BAC of .8 or less as long as they meet the bottle to throttle rules?
your wrong, 0.08 (which I'm assuming you meant) is the criminal amount for driving a vehicle, you still need to be free of any impairment if operating an aircraft which I think they deem to be 0.02 or something like that.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

N181CS wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:30 am the only real medical value I have seen is for eating issues and sleep.
Not a great argument against since sleep is a MAJOR issue for flight crews. If it wasn't for the (I believe) lingering effects I would use it on my days off to increase sleep as well as relieve stress.

I hope the unions do fight the blanket ban though. At least we might get some concessions for losing our right to do something most of us would never do anyways. The company's argument seems to be that corporations can set rules such as requiring you to wear a uniform which is just inane since you don't wear your uniform on your days off.

N181CS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by N181CS »

Last edited by N181CS on Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

altiplano wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:47 am
pianokeys wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:03 am

Joint letter was sent this week.

Tee-hee... joint letter.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

For all you AC drivers from the 70’s.

http://youtu.be/MNKL9onYB_8

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

altiplano wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:47 amAlready are. All the AC unions are pushing back against this. Joint letter was sent this week.

It isn't about being able to smoke a joint or whatever, it's about unilaterally creating policy that limits employees and legal behaviour, outside the workplace, without basis or consult.

You want to limit this? No problem. But some office guy can't just make something up and say this is the way it's going to be.
Probably shoulda checked the mail box. While I agree its about the whole organization as opposed to one joint, I was worried the unions were just going to let sleeping dogs lie and not challenge this. But I am happy to see there is push back, because its about whats right for our private lives, and our work lives. And unless youre buying my time, my private life is exactly that.

Anyways, I agree 100%. Its absolutely asinine that the employer is trying to limit what we do on our days off in our private lives away from work. They are not paying me to sit at home and garden, they havent bought that time, so Im going to do whatever I want and I would like to have that ability without the threat of losing my job.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

pianokeys wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:13 pm They are not paying me to sit at home and garden, they havent bought that time
What would that time cost?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It ain't free!

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

lownslow wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:10 pm
pianokeys wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:13 pm They are not paying me to sit at home and garden, they havent bought that time
is that a serious question or just a troll? As alti says....it ain't free.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

The cost of my time has been negotiated in the collective agreement.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Hangry wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:33 pm
lownslow wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:10 pm
is that a serious question or just a troll? As alti says....it ain't free.
Serious question. It’s kind of an abstract concept but interesting to think about. Let’s say a company says you can’t do something on your days off. It doesn’t matter what, whether it’s smoking pot or drinking pop or posting to Facebook. Whatever it is, it’s forbidden and if you break that rule you’re fired. Realistically what would you charge for that?

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

pianokeys wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:13 pmAnyways, I agree 100%. Its absolutely asinine that the employer is trying to limit what we do on our days off in our private lives away from work. They are not paying me to sit at home and garden, they havent bought that time, so Im going to do whatever I want and I would like to have that ability without the threat of losing my job.
What if you're on-call?

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

AirFrame wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:39 am
pianokeys wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:13 pmAnyways, I agree 100%. Its absolutely asinine that the employer is trying to limit what we do on our days off in our private lives away from work. They are not paying me to sit at home and garden, they havent bought that time, so Im going to do whatever I want and I would like to have that ability without the threat of losing my job.
What if you're on-call?
You are being paid when on call or reserve

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Last I checked, I wasn't being paid for the 12 hours that precedes my pairings

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

Does the FAA do random drug testing on foreign crews?

Return to “Air Canada”