Cannabis Policy ???

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

N181CS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Cannabis Policy ???

Post by N181CS »

Vic your memory is short... let me draw you a map. Count 1 2 3 4 5 with your fingers. Now keep those fingers up I don't want you to forget the number we are talking about here. It's 5 just as a reminder. Go back to the post and word # 5 will give you your answer. ( now do, to and the count as full words, thats another debate. for this exercise we will assume yes.)
---------- ADS -----------

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

What?

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

av8ts wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:58 am TC has said there is a zero tolerance policy for pilots in order to maintain a valid medical. Not sure exactly what that means
Well it's still illegal. Just wait.

So much is going to change over the next decade and more. It was inevitable that the rules would be extremely strict at the beginning. I wager in a few years once it's legal and companies are free to test and do R&D, we will see big advancements in tech surrounding cannabis including roadside testing and better understanding of impairment.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Lightchop wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:22 am I wager in a few years once it's legal and companies are free to test and do R&D, we will see big advancements in tech surrounding cannabis including roadside testing and better understanding of impairment.
How has this not yet happened in any other country yet? It's not like we're the first do leagalize it.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

We're the first nanny state to legalize it though.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Doug Moore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Doug Moore »

Deleted by Doug Moore

N181CS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by N181CS »

Poor Vic... looks like someone was being nice as you were unable to follow the map to get the answer to your question. Ask a dumb question get a dumb answer. The answer was google news feeds and was in the post for you to read and then let your fingers do some actual work. Where is the direct to button and the shortcut....

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

I submit to your cunning intellect.

No Smoke, No Fire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Smoke, No Fire »

“cunning”.......................

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

seven-oh-nooo wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:58 am I'll tell ya what sucks: nobody has any answers. Transport hasn't publicly lifted a finger on offering any guidance at all for this, they best they'll commit to is 602.03 which is absolute fluff of the same type they write when they want to retain the ability to punish you whenever and however they like. "No person shall act as a crew member of an aircraft while using any drug that impairs the person’s faculties to the extent that the safety of the aircraft or of persons on board the aircraft is endangered in any way," will vary from person to person and the way by which it's measured can't be locked down. For all intents and purposes it's useless to all but a vindictive inspector.

Now on the other side you have a company trying to write a dope policy while Transport, who is supposed to be in charge and demonstrating leadership, telling them they're on their own. At some point in the not-too-distant future there will be headline news about someone in a trusted position showing up for work high or making a mistake and that coming out as a contributing factor. When that happens it's reasonable for me to expect a letter from our favourite regulatory spaceman demanding answers, even if it wasn't my pilot. Same thing happened when that Sunwing(?) pilot showed up for work drunk a while back, except that time there was actually a way that I could demonstrate company compliance with the law.

This is why in the next week or two as we see more and more pot policies published and shared here I expect the trend to be seen as harsh. If you don't like it, take it up with Transport.
There's a letter signed by TC Director General that explicitly states that consumption of marijuana invalidates your medical certificate. This is no different than many other drugs that you can't use on your days off and hold a medical.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Ever? I mean I puffed a joint when I was 16. Does that mean I can never hold a medical certificate? Because I've held one since I was 15.

No Smoke, No Fire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Smoke, No Fire »

I believe the letter used the phrase “obtain a medical” and not “invalidates a medical”. Splitting hairs? Perhaps.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

No Smoke, No Fire wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:22 am I believe the letter used the phrase “obtain a medical” and not “invalidates a medical”. Splitting hairs? Perhaps.
You're correct, but if you can't "obtain" a medical, you can't renew it either.

Sorry, it's on my what's app. I can't get it on here. Here are some quotes.
Cannabis use may cause immediate impairment but also causes longer-lasting impairment that may not be obvious to the user or the people around them
There is scientific consensus regarding the long-lasting effects of cannabis on individuals, even after impairment is no longer felt. However, current tests for the psycho active chemical in cannabis do not correspond with impairment levels.
Impairment caused by cannabis is a serious issue for TC given its potential to threaten aviation safety.
Currently, the use of cannabis is a disqualifying factor for obtaining a medical certificate to fly or control aircraft (sic)
signed, Nicholas Robson, Director General and Fracois Collins, Associate Director General

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

There is scientific consensus regarding the long-lasting effects of cannabis on individuals, even after impairment is no longer felt. However, current tests for the psycho active chemical in cannabis do not correspond with impairment levels.
I would have been more impressed with the letter if they had cited the scientific studies that they claim show consensus. It sounds like an unsupported appeal to authority that people are expected to take at face value without question.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Anecdotally, I think we have all at one time or another met the stereotypical burnt out pothead. For us to say it has no lasting effect after it is no longer felt is just being disingenuous.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Victory wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:03 am Anecdotally, I think we have all at one time or another met the stereotypical burnt out pothead. For us to say it has no lasting effect after it is no longer felt is just being disingenuous.
Not disagreeing, there are burn outs...

However there are, and I know, numerous exceedingly smart, creative, top of their field, individuals who smoke marijuana - business leaders, professionals - certainly not the stereotype you cite... more accomplished and successful than the majority of pilots I know...

stereotype

a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.

seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seven-oh-nooo »

Bede wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:14 am There's a letter signed by TC Director General that explicitly states that consumption of marijuana invalidates your medical certificate. This is no different than many other drugs that you can't use on your days off and hold a medical.
But for how long? That's the real problem here and one nobody is committing to answer. The bottle of NyQuil in my medicine cabinet also invalidates my medical certificate, but not forever.

I also received the letter and have noted that it's been very carefully worded to really give no new answers. They give terms without definitions, specifically the word using comes up a lot. "Using" implies that it's being taken for its effects and 602.03 basically says pilots have to be sober which I think we all agree is a good thing. However there isn't even a hint of how long between use and when some high percentile of people will be sober again. You know, like with alcohol. That more than anything is the discrepancy that's causing all the headaches among the jerks who have airlines to run.

So now here I am, having to issue a directive. "Do what you want but be good to go at work" somehow satisfies 602.03 but leaves me responsible for someone else misjudging their own capacity and my friendly neighbourhood inspector has made direct threats to that effect, or I could say "The answer is no, absolutely not, not ever, not even once," when the CARS are standing behind their, "Just say 'Maybe.'"

N181CS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by N181CS »

Last edited by N181CS on Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

What is this “letter “ you guys are talking about?

Return to “Air Canada”