Jazz Pilot Pool

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

what_limit?
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Jazz Pilot Pool

Post by what_limit? »

Got that call. Dec 3rd. Jazz here I come :prayer: 8) :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Better stock up on the Costco crate of KD and Polish sausages while you can still afford the membership fees.

On the upside you'll be able to save on TP and Kleenex by stealing a roll of single ply delight on every layovers...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
what_limit?
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by what_limit? »

daedalusx wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:03 am Better stock up on the Costco crate of KD and Polish sausages while you can still afford the membership fees.

On the upside you'll be able to save on TP and Kleenex by stealing a roll of single ply delight on every layovers...
Haha thanks for the insider tips. Any other costco recommendations?? Hahahaha

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

what_limit? wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:15 pm
daedalusx wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:03 am Better stock up on the Costco crate of KD and Polish sausages while you can still afford the membership fees.

If you get the jet, the Costco in SJC has great deals on liquor.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

https://www.amazon.ca/eBags-Crew-Cooler ... ref=plSrch

And

https://www.amazon.ca/Onebrand-Nutritio ... pill&psc=1

Or

https://www.amazon.ca/Contigo-SnapSeal- ... ref=plSrch

Congrats you just saved 500$ on Soy Latte Starcucks and 1000$ on disgusting airport "food" and an extra 5% body fat

And by saved, I mean now you have an extra 1500$ to spend on booze and usually the thinner you are, the cheaper is it to get drunk. Call it a win- win.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
what_limit?
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by what_limit? »

Lightchop wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:50 am

If you get the jet, the Costco in SJC has great deals on liquor.
Hahaha excellent tip. Fingers crossed for the jet anyway.
daedalusx wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:17 am

https://www.amazon.ca/eBags-Crew-Cooler ... ref=plSrch

And

https://www.amazon.ca/Onebrand-Nutritio ... pill&psc=1

Or

https://www.amazon.ca/Contigo-SnapSeal- ... ref=plSrch

Congrats you just saved 500$ on Soy Latte Starcucks and 1000$ on disgusting airport "food" and an extra 5% body fat

And by saved, I mean now you have an extra 1500$ to spend on booze and usually the thinner you are, the cheaper is it to get drunk. Call it a win- win.
Oh wow!! Thanks for the links! That crew bag looks awesome.

Skyboi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skyboi »

Hello all! I'm looking for suggestions for a good flight bag to use for Jazz ground school. The new hire email I got says I'll need one and I'm currently using a messenger bag.

Thanks for the input and please refrain from the low pay-esq jokes/comments.

-SkyBoi

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Doesn't need to be the crazy huge old school flight bag since the ipad mini carries all your charts etc. So you drag around an iPad, pad of paper, pens and your PTR. That's about it really. No major flight bag required.

For the flight line I use a tumi laptop bag that fits my headset, sunglasses, iPad, Kobo, licenses, chargers and pens lol. Not much needed. Smaller and lighter is easier for commuting, and fitting under seats or in overhead bins. Lots of DH and commuting likely in your future.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Skyboi wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:37 pm Hello all! I'm looking for suggestions for a good flight bag to use for Jazz ground school. The new hire email I got says I'll need one and I'm currently using a messenger bag.

-SkyBoi
Like KP said, don't get crazy for ground school, I used a good ole backpack til I hit the flight line.

Once you do get there tho, may I suggest you look at aerocoast. They make very good flight bags, I see many folks use them. I got the Pro EFB + Cooler II....be advise that a 15" MacBook Pro does not fit entirely in the laptop pocket. I use it anyway, just can't close the zipper.

Skyboi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skyboi »

KenoraPilot wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:42 pm Doesn't need to be the crazy huge old school flight bag since the ipad mini carries all your charts etc. So you drag around an iPad, pad of paper, pens and your PTR. That's about it really. No major flight bag required.

For the flight line I use a tumi laptop bag that fits my headset, sunglasses, iPad, Kobo, licenses, chargers and pens lol. Not much needed. Smaller and lighter is easier for commuting, and fitting under seats or in overhead bins. Lots of DH and commuting likely in your future.
Outlaw58 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 pm
Skyboi wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:37 pm Hello all! I'm looking for suggestions for a good flight bag to use for Jazz ground school. The new hire email I got says I'll need one and I'm currently using a messenger bag.

-SkyBoi
Like KP said, don't get crazy for ground school, I used a good ole backpack til I hit the flight line.

Once you do get there tho, may I suggest you look at aerocoast. They make very good flight bags, I see many folks use them. I got the Pro EFB + Cooler II....be advise that a 15" MacBook Pro does not fit entirely in the laptop pocket. I use it anyway, just can't close the zipper.

Thanks for the pro tips, fellas!

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

Just so all you new hires have all the information. Movement at jazz has slowed down alot. Infact over the last 4 months there has been very little to no movement up the senority list. If you decided to work for jazz expect to be on reserve for a long time making very low wages. Around $1000 every 2 weeks. Add in 1200 in perdiums once a month, way less if your on reserve. Good luck out there and fly safe.

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

Malfunction wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:13 am Just so all you new hires have all the information. Movement at jazz has slowed down alot. Infact over the last 4 months there has been very little to no movement up the senority list. If you decided to work for jazz expect to be on reserve for a long time making very low wages. Around $1000 every 2 weeks. Add in 1200 in perdiums once a month, way less if your on reserve. Good luck out there and fly safe.
Very true. Another thing to note is that since movement has pretty much stopped at Jazz and the reserve list is very long there is little in terms of opportunities to do overtime or extra flying for FOs to supplement that 2 grand per month.

Mrbobmarly111
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mrbobmarly111 »

Realistic pay is 900$ 1 cheque and 850$ 2nd cheque a month not including perdiems. That is fact. So around 1800-1900$ monthly. Once you get out of reserve you can expect an extra 800-1100$ a month in perdiems with a full month of flying.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

On the other hand, if you want the jet in YVR.... there has never been a better time.

That being said, while this and what was said above is true I applied late last year on the promise of fast upgrades and ended up on the slow moving seniority list. If I learned anything out of my personal experience, what is true today could be entirely different tomorrow.

Hiring at AC and Jazz has picked up again. Maybe not at the rate it was last year but things will be moving again.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

-SkyBoi
That's fine for GS. You will probably want to wait to find out what plane you're on first. Or you can just buy a bag that fits the RJ since it's the smallest hole.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Mrbobmarly111 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:08 am Realistic pay is 900$ 1 cheque and 850$ 2nd cheque a month not including perdiems. That is fact. So around 1800-1900$ monthly. Once you get out of reserve you can expect an extra 800-1100$ a month in perdiems with a full month of flying.
Not, that's not "FACT."

Pay is around $1000-1100 twice a month.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Lightchop wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:02 pm
Mrbobmarly111 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:08 am Realistic pay is 900$ 1 cheque and 850$ 2nd cheque a month not including perdiems. That is fact. So around 1800-1900$ monthly. Once you get out of reserve you can expect an extra 800-1100$ a month in perdiems with a full month of flying.
Not, that's not "FACT."

Pay is around $1000-1100 twice a month.
Only if you're a block holder. If you're on reserve at 77.5 hr min cred you will be in the 850-950 range. Also depends if you're on the stock purchase program...
Either way even at a optimistic 1000$ it's still absolutely impossible to live in yyz or YVR at that wage. I still haven't flown with an FO that wasn't dipping in his line of credit every month and I work out of the cheapest base.

Experienced pilots should consider bidding the Yul Dash8 since you'll probably starve on the FO pay and will benefit from the quicker upgrade and cheaper-ish cost of living, even though it's gotten quite a bit slower, it'll probably happen within 2-3 years as of now. College kids and low timer should bid RJ if they're out West for the schedule and ease of flying. Midnight Penticton stand-up at mins in snow shouldn't be your first IFR cherry popping experience no matter how good your grades are ...

Pete
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Pete »

Jesus. How is it possible to live off of that?

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

Pete wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:29 pm

Jesus. How is it possible to live off of that?
line of credit and part time jobs.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Doesn't Jazz have good per diems? From what I've heard I assume you can add $1500 or so.
That's $3400 net a month.
Not awful for a job right out of school in these cases. Your life isn't dependant on your year 1 salary, regardless of the posts here.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”