Union at Sky

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Union at Sky

Post by rudder »

yycinformer wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:39 pm
Only a matter of time before that probably changes.
Quite the opposite. I would watch for swaps of CRJ900’s on to longer range current Express 175 routes out of YUL with the 175’s doing more of the shorter stage length domestic and trans border routes in the east.

There are no plans for 175’s in the west. AC removed them years ago for operational reasons.

Most telling predictor of the future of the Express jet fleet will be whether the 76 seat jet portfolio ever increases (currently 46 and well below any ACPA scope fleet limit) and whether that increment is 175’s or CRJ900’s or both. On another note - increasing jet fuel pricing is making the continued operation of the 50 seat CRJ’s much less economical for AC. However, the Q400’s are not a viable replacement aircraft for trans border city pairs out of YUL/YYZ.

AC just sold and leased back the remaining 190’s. However, they will NEVER be placed at Express (ACPA scope limitation).

Notwithstanding the extended CPA terms at Jazz, Skyregional, and Georgian - I would watch for fleet changes at Express. The plan circa 2018 will not be the same as the plan circa 2020 and beyond. Too many external factors that will dictate review and modification.
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Q400’s will be able to replace pretty much any transborder RJ run with the amount new 2000lb MTOW increases. They should be able to push a Q 900nm now without bumping anything.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

There's been some rumbling lately of some.big changes coming fleet wise at one of the express carriers. But this is just a rumour. Word around the Watercooler so to speak .

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

fish4life wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:10 am Q400’s will be able to replace pretty much any transborder RJ run with the amount new 2000lb MTOW increases. They should be able to push a Q 900nm now without bumping anything.
3-4 hours in a Q400@24,000’ with no IFE?

Never what the aircraft was designed for. And (other than Canada) more than passengers are willing to endure if given any travel option involving a jet.

Generally speaking, Americans will not fly on props, including Q400. More prevalent culture in the east than the west.

If it made (commercial) sense, it would have happened already.

Last edited by rudder on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

duplicate

Last edited by rudder on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

iflyroads wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:16 am There's been some rumbling lately of some.big changes coming fleet wise at one of the express carriers. But this is just a rumour. Word around the Watercooler so to speak .
Would that be the rumour of CRJ900’s at GGN? Just a rumour started by management at GGN earlier this year as far as I have heard.

AC will have to get out it’s wallet if that is the plan. Or call Chorus Aviation Capital and see if they are willing to purchase and lease out more CRJ900’s.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

rudder wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:12 pm
iflyroads wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:16 am There's been some rumbling lately of some.big changes coming fleet wise at one of the express carriers. But this is just a rumour. Word around the Watercooler so to speak .
Would that be the rumour of CRJ900’s at GGN? Just a rumour started by management at GGN earlier this year as far as I have heard.

AC will have to get out it’s wallet if that is the plan. Or call Chorus Aviation Capital and see if they are willing to purchase and lease out more CRJ900’s.
Not exactly. They did say they wanted to introduce a new type and break into the 76 seat + market in time for their 25th anniversary next year. But I don't think that meant CRJ 900 from jazz/chr

I can see the rest of the 200s going to ggn but doubt they will be the 900s anytime soon.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

How is it looking? Are we close? I keep hearing its any day now before a big announcement.

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Art Garfunkel »

I agree! What is taking so much time? I believe they are waiting on some people who gave their word that they will sign a card. Come on folks! Dig it up and give it to an OC member! 5 bucks! That"s all!

Anyways, I believe there is a great video being released with lots of Q"s and A's about ALPA and the pilot profession in Canada. Well worth a look.

Art

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

I’ve heard there are at least three more YUL Captains leaving for Sunwing and AC in the coming weeks. I’d love to hear some good news from the ALPA organizing committee but I’m concerned that the rate of pilots who are leaving is outstripping the number of new hires who have signed and sent in their cards. I worry that it’s going to be an uphill battle to get enough new hires on board with the unionization effort to achieve a clear majority in the face of so much attrition. I’m hoping for some good news soon and while we’ve received lots of information on what ALPA could be doing for the pilot group, there’s been surprisingly little information on how the card drive is actually doing.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

so what is the big announcement ?

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Art Garfunkel »

How is the drive going? If it is this far along and they haven"t filed yet, means it is very close. Reasons?

1. Attrition.
2. Many supporters who are too lazy to sign and send in cards. :cry: :roll:

If this fails, then expect a pushback from the company in working conditions (because they can) and good luck when the music stops.

Big Announcement? Probably a new office facility. Bigger offices and comfier chairs for management. I also love the "Career Sky Regional Pilots" who are anti union and then leaving for unionized Sunwing. :?: :?:

Art

gravelpapi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sky Regional Pilots File Cards for ALPA Representation

Post by gravelpapi »

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Congratulations Sky Regional Pilots!!!

Another step closer to uniting all the pilots across Canada and elevating the profession to where it belongs!!

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Congrats to the SKY pilots. If enough cards were filed then the certification should be automatic.

With the full support of ALPA and the other Express pilot groups, the SKY pilots should be able to achieve a fair and appropriate collective agreement. Hope that SKY management does not repeat the errors of GGN management.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

And we are certified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Art Garfunkel »

Congratulations to the pilots at Sky Regional. Way to step up and be part of a global pilot community.

"if you don't have a seat at the table, you are probably on the menu"

Congrats,

Art

PSL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PSL »

Congrats to my fellow pilots

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

Awesome news today. Big shout out to the Sky Regional ALPA Organizing Committee for all their hard work making this happen over the last year or so. Looking forward to see what the future will hold.

Return to “Air Canada”