Taildragger Training in Ontario

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

may11
Rank 0
Rank 0

Taildragger Training in Ontario

Post by may11 »

Hi Everyone,

I am a licensed pilot looking to do some training on taildraggers as I am planning to tow gliders at a club. Does anyone know of anywhere I might be able to find a taildragger to do training on? I've looked into Brampton, but there doesn't seem to be many other flight schools offering this.

Thank you!
---------- ADS -----------

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Taildragger Training in Ontario

Post by TailwheelPilot »

I believe Rockcliffe Flying Club has a taildragger or two. I recall seeing posts about them getting a Cessna 170 as well as having a Decathlon for aerobatics (and presumably available for tailwheel training as well). Never flown there.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

The Cessna 170 is a better choice for learning to fly a tail wheel airplane.

The Decathlon is real easy to take off and land whereas the 170 requires more attention.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

Wouldn't the club you're planning on towing gliders be able to make some training available to you?

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

Brampton Flying Club does tail wheel training and are use to training pilots that go onto glider towing. Ask for Peter F. as he is the pilot with extensive glider towing background and a great tail wheel Instructor.

Cheers.

SkySailor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkySailor »

Contact "Hedley".

Tell him all his fans on AvCanada are waiting for his re-incarnation!! :D

http://www.pittspecials.com/articles.html

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

If the club wants to use you for towing, it should be their responsibility to train you! Seems logical to me.
may11 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:49 am Hi Everyone,

I am a licensed pilot looking to do some training on taildraggers as I am planning to tow gliders at a club. Does anyone know of anywhere I might be able to find a taildragger to do training on? I've looked into Brampton, but there doesn't seem to be many other flight schools offering this.

Thank you!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Gliding club can check you out as there is no endorsement in Canada. Most gliding clubs choose not to since they have so many new pilots looking for "free" hours.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Not quite....Gliding Clubs don't have the mentality of keeping all of those young whipper snappers looking for free flying at bay. Most are very inclusive and welcoming. If you show up and all you want to do is fly the tow plane ..... well, this club is not for you. Go find a power flying club. They want to promote and sustain gliding.

You have to understand that gliding clubs use tow planes as a tool. The primary purpose of the club is Gliding. Every hour on that tug is divided into launch fee's. No member wants to bear the cost of a new member learning to fly a tail wheel aircraft...and nor should they. Clubs will teach you how to operate a tow plane, but it's not cost effective to train from scratch. And most clubs quite frankly need to save every penny they have.

In my opinion, joining a gliding club is one of the best things you can do. Learning to soar teaches you very important fundamentals that hold a very transferable skill set. As a bi-product, if you are qualified, you can help out and operate the tow plane as required....which happens to be a great time builder!

Last edited by Adam Oke on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

There is also the matter of insurance on tow pilots.

Return to “Flight Training”