How's morale with uncertainty of the one list?

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: How's morale with uncertainty of the one list?

Post by Bede »

DC-10 Driver,

When you started at WJ, you surely knew all of the terms and conditions with respect to where you sat on the list. It's sad that now you are willing to through our Encore brothers under the bus to further your personal interests.

When we insisted on wage parity with the Swoop start up, the company went to Encore and asked the pilots if they wanted to fly the planes. They had the opportunity to be top of the scab list. Not one of them put themselves ahead of any of us, even though it would have been personally beneficial for them to do so. In return, the Encore pilots have earned my unconditional support and loyalty.

WRT your argument that the one-list was a carrot to attract applicants and reduce wages, I agree.
---------- ADS -----------

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Bede wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:05 pm DC-10 Driver,

When you started at WJ, you surely knew all of the terms and conditions with respect to where you sat on the list. It's sad that now you are willing to through our Encore brothers under the bus to further your personal interests.

When we insisted on wage parity with the Swoop start up, the company went to Encore and asked the pilots if they wanted to fly the planes. They had the opportunity to be top of the scab list. Not one of them put themselves ahead of any of us, even though it would have been personally beneficial for them to do so. In return, the Encore pilots have earned my unconditional support and loyalty.

WRT your argument that the one-list was a carrot to attract applicants and reduce wages, I agree.
Bede, what exactly are you doing with that "unconditional support and loyalty?" Where were you when the certification drive was on? Why did you not help educate the Encore pilots on what would happen to the WPDL if ALPA was successful? If all you're doing with that support and loyalty is posting here, well, that's virtue signalling and that and a couple of bucks gets you a coffee, nothing more.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

What am I doing to support Encore pilots?
1) Telling them to sign on with ALPA. No matter what you post on this forum, you continue to be proven wrong.
2) Siding with Encore pilots against those wishing to undermine the collective unity of the group with their own personal agenda's.

I don't know why I respond to you any more. You can't be reasoned with.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Reasoned with? Bede, you haven't countered any of the points raised above! Failure to counter the issues I raised will simply result in an adverse inference: you recognize that I'm right.

FYI, me pointing out why something can't happen isn't the same as me being responsible for the something not happening.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Bede, I don't know how you sleep at night knowing you encouraged former WJE pilots already at WJ to vote in a system (ALPA) that resulted in those pilots (and their colleagues still at WJE) losing tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, and in some cases, millions of dollars in lost future earnings. I wish I had your ability to shutdown my conscience. You should give a course on that.

Me? I still wonder at what else I could have done to prevent all of this from happening. I donated $1000 to a local PC party candidate, hoping she could influence the Senate vote to prevent the change in the law governing union certification. In the end it didn't matter. I also spent $400 setting up a website, www.encoresenioritycoalition.org, at which I posted the reasons why ALPA meant the death of the WPDL. I further spent $350 with the ALPA archivist in Chicago, who searched through and sent me any records on seniority within ALPA's historical records. I spent hundreds of hours researching the topic of seniority and unions, including reading through countless court decisions, both in Canada and the USA. I spent untold time composing posts here and elsewhere trying to reach the people who were going to condemn a pilot group to loss income, and a decade of unhappiness at the pilots responsible: themselves.

I don't blame the non-WJE pilots, current and former. People vote for their self interests. You, Bede, you did like the rest of your colleagues, you did what was best for you and said f#ck the Encore pilots. Let them solve their own problems, we need ALPA! But the former and current Encore pilots should have explored the issue. They believed people like you Bede, who told them it would be okay. They believed the ALPA OC. They believed the President of ALPA. They believed all these people who deceived them because they wanted to believe. They have just been taught a valuable lesson on the nature of people.

So tell me, Bede, what else could I have done to prevent this atrocity from happening?

Last edited by The Tenth Man on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

As opposed to just attacking me personally, how about using your education to answer the points I have raised?

Like Bill Murray said in Stripes, "Lighten up, Francis!"
Visit_Website_Link_Trail.jpg
Visit_Website_Link_Trail.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 1687 times

The_Doctor_Is_In.jpg
The_Doctor_Is_In.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 1693 times

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

I did a little more digging. At this point, I think the MEC's of both WJ and WJE have violated the terms of the ALPA Constitution and Bylaws. The WJ MEC admitted to the breach on Nov 2, 2018.
From Your MEC
Fellow pilots,

"One List" Update

In Washington, D.C., we held a joint MEC meeting with the Encore MEC. There were many items to discuss about how to work together, but one of the most important interim steps was to formalize an agreement and language between the two pilot groups on how to recognize the contribution that all pilots bring to WestJet. This agreement recognizes the seniority of WestJet and Encore pilots within the WestJet group. This document has been legally reviewed and meets the requirements set forth under the ALPA Constitution and Canadian labour law.

This initiative follows the original intent of the "One List," a policy that was overwhelmingly supported by pilots (based on survey results) at WestJet. Additionally, we believe WestJet group should view this agreement as good for them, as a major retention and attraction initiative at Encore.

The two MECs will propose this formal agreement in the form of a Letter of Understanding (LOU) between both pilot groups to WestJet management. They in turn will also have to accept the LOU and be a signatory. The final step will be to hold a pilot vote at each group before it will be implemented.

While only a first step of many toward fully uniting with the Encore pilots, this will serve as an excellent example of how unity between pilot groups can benefit the pilot profession and airlines in Canada.

For far too long, we have allowed corporations to divide pilots, and this has been to the detriment of our profession. We firmly believe that when we have all the professional pilots working together across Canada, we will be in a much stronger position to advocate for pilots and start moving forward together. It will only be our unity that will give us the strength to make the changes to our industry and our profession that pilots have desired for so long.

We expect to present this LOU to WestJet Airlines shortly.
The Canada Board President - Elect admitted to the breach of the constitutionally mandated seniority policy of ALPA as well.

http://timperry2018.com/about/
Our first MEC resolution was to recognize Encore pilots as WestJet pilots – essentially to remove any professional barriers between our pilot groups that exist because of corporate branding or aircraft type. Since then I’ve been working with their MEC officers to cement the one seniority list concept and the unification of our pilot groups starting with eventually creating a single MEC structure. This unity work very much captures my union philosophy. Stronger together.
If the contents of the proposed LOU do in fact intend to replace seniority for determining upgrades, then both MECs are guilty of trying to subvert Executive Board policy and the Constitution and Bylaws. And in Breach of Contract. And now open to discipline by ALPA.

And the incoming Canada Board President is also in breach of the Constitution and Bylaws, by virtue of his working to subvert Executive Board policy while on the MEC at WJ.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

I'll bite, WeedPro. I work for a company with ALPA representation, so I'm pretty familiar with their bylaws.
The crux of your argument seems to be based on this clause: Section 40.3 "Seniority shall begin to accrue from the date upon which a pilot employed by the Company as a pilot begins initial training required to perform such duties in airline operations..."
The issue then becomes what the definition of the Company is. Are WestJet and Encore separate companies, or, as a wholly-owned subsidiary, is Encore a part of the WestJet company? The money used to pay Encore pilots comes directly from WestJet, so even though they have separate AOCs, are they really separate companies? That's a legally-contentious issue that likely wouldn't be resolved until someone with standing filed a lawsuit, and the suit ran through the court system.
The problem with your argument is that precedent has now been established by Mr Kaplan that Swoop, as a wholly-owned subsidiary of WestJet, is part of the same company. Swoop pilots are now represented by the WestJet MEC, and are on the same seniority list. WestJet pilots have been able to bid into Swoop positions, and Swoop pilots will be able to bid back to WestJet. To complicate matter further, Encore pilots have been able to bid into Swoop positions, and will be able to bid back to WestJet. So if Swoop, as a wholly-owned subsidiary, is part of the same company, legally Encore would meet the same definition, and the WPDL will be unaffected. If, as you seem to think, they are separate companies and moving from one to another means being put at the bottom of the list, then at the end of the lawsuit the judge will have to decide what's going to happen to all the pilots who moved to Swoop; will they return to their previous positions, potentially being disadvantaged because they would have upgraded if they had stayed at WestJet, and now they're back to being FOs, or will they return to their places on the seniority list? Will the Encore pilots be returned to Encore, or will they be moved to WestJet, because they would have flowed during the time that the lawsuit was in progress? This will create a hugely contentious and complex matter that I don't think would go the way the plaintiffs would like, because the arbitrator of the current agreement has already decided that Swoop and WestJet are common employers. In fact, if anything, I could see a case being made that Encore pilots should fall under the WestJet MEC; that is to say, if someone were to file such a suit, it may backfire, and the judge may order that since Swoop and WestJet have a common bargaining unit, then so should Encore.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Am I the only one who just skips right over the Weedpro posts and reads the others ?

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

Maybe.

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

A WJE pilot sent me a message last night. He recognized that it seems highly likely that the WestJet Pilot Seniority List that Kaplan referred to has no Encore pilots on it. Further it seems to him that the list will likely have the names ordered by DOH (mainline). That said, he stated that I'm off base on what the intentions of the two MECs are. He essentially (I'm abbreviating his argument here) said that they are not intending to violate ALPA (seniority/seniority list/seniority rights) policy (Executive Board, 1956), they are going to follow it to the letter. He said (more importantly) that they are planning to invoke ALPA merger policy (Section 45, Administrative Manual).

There was more to the message, but the above is his version of what is going on. He is not on either MEC/LEC. He wouldn't say why he knows the above.

I recognize that ALPA merger policy ( magazine article) that our very own rudder helped author, permits a merger declaration ahead of an actual operational merger. From the article linked above:
The new policy defines a merger as “a situation where there is a reasonable probability of sufficient operational integration between or among two or more ALPA airlines and that there is or will be a need for an integrated seniority list, a JCBA, and a merged MEC to adequately protect the employment interests of the flightdeck crewmembers.” In addition, it enables MECs to enter agreements with other MECs unconstrained by corporate time lines.

There are two ways to implement ALPA merger policy. Under one method, the involved MECs may determine “at any time” that it is in the best interests of their members to enter into agreements that provide a process by which the MECs will negotiate a new joint contract and decide on procedures to integrate their seniority lists. Under the second method, if there is a “merger” as defined by policy and the MECs are unable or unwilling to enter into process agreements addressing both seniority integration and negotiating a JCBA, the policy is implemented by establishing a “process implementation date” (PID). This date is established on the earlier of the date on which the Executive Council, in its judgment, determines a merger has taken place or the date on which ALPA’s president agrees with the determination of all involved MECs that there is a merger.

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

Returning to primary sources, attached is the current ALPA merger policy, page 2. The authority for what the WJE pilot proposed is stated in the bottom three paragraphs:

This policy establishes processes based on these premises, to be followed by pilot groups from the outset through the completion of the merger. However, broad authority is provided to MECs to design and agree on alternative processes that meet their own needs. The basic policy serves as a “governing” process in the event that the MECs do not desire to or cannot reach such agreements.

The policy recognizes that MECs may be required to deal with a variety of types of corporate transactions and that innovation by MECs dealing with different types of corporate transactions may best serve the interests of their pilot groups and ALPA. MECs are strongly encouraged to consider using flexible arrangements available under policy to design processes tailored to the needs of their particular pilot groups and transaction. MECs are encouraged to keep in mind that flexibility is made available in recognition that a “one size fits all” process is not the best approach when dealing with transactions.

This policy provides at the outset that its scope (Part 2B 1) should not be defined in terms of particular types of transactions or the timing or announcement of transactions, all of which are controlled by corporate interests, but rather in terms of situations when there is a need to protect employee interests.

ALPA_MergerandFragmentationPolicy_page_2_JPG.jpg
ALPA_MergerandFragmentationPolicy_page_2_JPG.jpg (512.7 KiB) Viewed 1328 times

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

Page 3 of the Merger Policy states, in part:

The policy provides for its implementation using either of two methods.

Under one method, the involved MECs may determine “at any time” (Part 2B 2) that it is in the best interests of their flight deck crew members to enter into agreements which provide for an alternative process for seniority integration, negotiating a JCBA or both. If this determination is made, with the approval of the President, the MECs have wide latitude to fashion their own process, subject only to meeting certain fundamental requirements of policy (Parts 2B 2 and 2C 1).

This feature of the policy provides the MECs with the flexibility to deal with their particular situation. It is also important that these policy provisions enable MECs to make these agreements “at any time,” even before there is a “merger” as defined by policy, so that cooperating MECs can be involved in a potential merger at an early stage.

ALPA_MergerandFragmentationPolicy_page_3_JPG.jpg
ALPA_MergerandFragmentationPolicy_page_3_JPG.jpg (527.15 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

Thus far, the merger policy permits ALPA MECs, with approval of the President of ALPA, to enter into discussions to merge seniority lists, with or without the intention to negotiate a joint collective bargaining agreement (JCBA).
From page 5:

1. This policy recognizes that the scope of a viable ALPA Merger Policy may not be defined in terms of particular types of transactions or the timing or announcement of a particular transaction. Under these circumstances, “merger” means a situation where there is a reasonable probability of sufficient operational integration between or among two or more
ALPA airlines that there is or will be a need for an integrated seniority list, a JCBA and a merged MEC to adequately protect the employment interests of the flight deck crew members.

The scope of this policy also recognizes that MECs may desire to make agreements “at any time” – for example, before there is a “merger” as defined by policy – to enable them to be involved in a potential merger at an early stage. The policy embraces the concept that MECs can enter into such agreements.

2. The terms and conditions set forth in Part 2C 1 below shall be applicable when two or more MECs determine at any time it is in the best interests of their flight deck crew members to enter into discussions, negotiations and agreements which provide for a process for seniority list integration, negotiating a JCBA or both.

ALPA_MergerandFragmentationPolicy_page_5_JPG.jpg
ALPA_MergerandFragmentationPolicy_page_5_JPG.jpg (523.07 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

From page 5 (previous post) and page 6(attached):

C. MERGER AGREEMENTS BETWEEN OR AMONG MECS

1. Upon making a determination under Part 2B 2 above, and with the approval of the President, the involved MECs may enter into discussions, negotiations and agreements which provide for a process for seniority list integration, negotiating a JCBA or both.

a. The President may approve an agreement or agreements between or among the involved MECs which provide(s) for an alternative process for seniority list integration or concluding a JCBA or both.
(1)
(a) All such agreements shall be subject to the following provisions of this merger policy:
Part 3A 1c and 1d (communications)
Part 3C 1 (merger representatives)
Part 3C 2 and 4b, subject to an agreed alternative arbitration process
(compilation and verification of employment data)
Part 3C 4c (“grandfather” rights)
Part 3C 4d (not change order on own seniority list)
Part 3C 4e and 5a(2) (fair and equitable integrated seniority list)
Part 3C 4f (no integrated seniority list subject to MEC or membership
ratification)
Part 3C 5c(8) (use of communications in arbitration proceedings discouraged)
Part 3C 5e(2) (arbitration award final and binding)
Part 3D (implementation of integrated seniority list)
Part 3F (funding and payment of merger related expenses)
Part 3G (disposition of merger assessment funds)
Part 5 (requests to ALPA for data and information)

ALPA_MergerandFragmentationPolicy_page_6_JPG.jpg
ALPA_MergerandFragmentationPolicy_page_6_JPG.jpg (385.21 KiB) Viewed 1309 times

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

Finally, and here is where the problem exists for the MECs of WJ and WJE. As stated in the previous post, the following section must be followed, in seniority list integrations, in this case without a JCBA:

Part 3C 4d (not change order on own seniority list)

And here is what that section, Part 3C 4d says (from page 14, attached):

d. No integrated list shall be constructed which would change the order of the flight deck
crew members on their own respective seniority lists.

ALPA_MergerandFragmentationPolicy_page_14_JPG.jpg
ALPA_MergerandFragmentationPolicy_page_14_JPG.jpg (445.83 KiB) Viewed 1909 times

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

So why is that a problem? Why does not being able to change the order of the pre-merger seniority lists create such a problem?

Well, ask a former WJE pilot who flowed to WJ yesterday. His (or her) DOH is now yesterday, November 7, 2018. This is so, and must be, because of ALPA policies. We've (me, actually) beaten that horse way past unconsciousness. So, if we merged seniority lists today, we can't reorder either WJ or WJE seniority list. That means, the WJE pilot who flowed yesterday will go from BOTL of the WJ seniority list, to still being below every WJ pre-merged seniority list pilot, but also being near the bottom of the post merged seniority list, unless the WJE pilot group is just stapled to the BOTL of the WJ seniority list.

What this means is that the former WJE pilot who may have started with WJE on January 2015, and because he was enjoying Encore, stayed until two days ago, well, he will be below 500 of his formely junior (to him) WJE colleagues who stayed at WJE and didn't flow. Unless, that is, the WJE pilots are stapled to the BOTL.

So you see, there isn't a way to merge the seniority lists, UNDER ALPA RULES, without double-fisting the WJE pilots who have already flowed. They suffer the double impact of not only losing their WJE DOH, and getting instead WJ DOH, they then get a whole bunch of their formerly junior (to them) WJE pilots thrown ahead of them on the merged seniority list.

Last edited by The Tenth Man on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

So, what's your poison?

(1) Try an LOU that violates 62 year old Executive Board policy by substituting something other than seniority for determining promotions etc?

(2) Try a merged seniority list that seriously screws over WJE pilots who have already flowed to WJ?

(3) Do what actually is going to happen: negotiate the best possible flow agreement, up to and including reserved seniority numbers at WJ for WJE pilots, and admit that it was never possible to do anything else. The two seniority lists will be separate and based on DOH.

(4) At some point in the future, approach the CIRB for a declaration of common employer and then merge the seniority lists (which still hoses WJE pilots who already flowed).

* Options (1) and (2) require WJ management to agree to the proposals. That is not going to happen without serious consessions from the pilot group.

Finally, just because I think it's funny:

Missing_Webite_Link.jpg
Missing_Webite_Link.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1903 times

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

My god, give it up man. Find a new hobby. Or go create six more handles to argue with yourself, either way. The one list is staying. How much more of your life do you need to waste spreading hate against alpa while cut and pasting the same thing over and over?

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Hey WeedPro, you completely skipped over my post from yesterday. I'd like you to address how WestJet and Swoop can be separate companies with a combined seniority list, but Encore is a separate company that must therefore have a separate seniority list. I think you're going to have to completely re-evaluate your argument when you factor in that there are currently two distinct companies with different AOCs that have the same MEC negotiating for them and the same seniority list.
If the WestJet MEC, Encore MEC, and WestJet management are all on board with the one list, then the only way anything would change is if someone with standing filed a lawsuit. In the five or ten years it would take to resolve said suit, hundreds of pilots would move from WestJet to Swoop, Swoop to WestJet, and Encore to both Swoop and WestJet. At the end of the suit, I can see three probable outcomes:
1. The judge rules that the seniority list was formed in contravention to ALPA rules, and is null and void. In this case (s)he will have to decide what to do with all of the pilots who have moved around. If (s)he returns them to their previous positions, there will be hundreds of people whose lives and careers have been disrupted, and the company's staffing will be hugely lopsided, with hundreds more pilots at Encore than needed and hundreds fewer on the jets; it's very unlikely that the judge would take such drastic action and create such turmoil, so the likely outcome would be that everyone currently on the property is grandfathered into their positions, anyone hired after would be on a new agreement that clearly defines that they're on separate seniority lists, and the company has to financially compensate anyone who was unfairly passed over for an upgrade because of the combined seniority list. This will cost WeedPro's beloved WestJet millions of dollars.
2. The judge rules that the ALPA constitution is kind of vaguely worded, so there's a lot of ambiguity, but because "Company" isn't clearly defined it's reasonable to assume that WestJet, Encore, and Swoop are all part of a single company. The One List stands.
3. The judge rules that, since WestJet, Encore, and Swoop are all part of a single company, and since WestJet and Swoop have a combined bargaining unit, Encore should be part of that unit as well. All pilots in the WestJet family are not only on a single seniority list, but they now have combined negotiating strength, and will likely have to enter into a new CBA. This has completely backfired against the plaintiffs, and will probably cost WeedPro's beloved WestJet millions of dollars.
There it is John. Please provide a rebuttal, and please factor in how you're going to cost your own employer huge amounts of money just so you can stick it to some Encore pilots for having the audacity to unionize.

Return to “WestJet Encore”