$55 charge, for processing medical?!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MaximumAmazing
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: $55 charge, for processing medical?!

Post by MaximumAmazing »

I’ll add to the fire. TC refused to issue a new type rating until I paid the 55$. I know it’s a stretch, but what if I couldn’t pay the fee and my employment hinged having the type rating. The government is essentially preventing me from working.
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

MaximumAmazing wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:13 pmI’ll add to the fire. TC refused to issue a new type rating until I paid the 55$. I know it’s a stretch, but what if I couldn’t pay the fee and my employment hinged having the type rating. The government is essentially preventing me from working.
If you seriously can't come up with $55 to pay that bill when it comes in when your employment depends on it, that's entirely on you.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

AirFrame wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:14 pm
MaximumAmazing wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:13 pmI’ll add to the fire. TC refused to issue a new type rating until I paid the 55$. I know it’s a stretch, but what if I couldn’t pay the fee and my employment hinged having the type rating. The government is essentially preventing me from working.
If you seriously can't come up with $55 to pay that bill when it comes in when your employment depends on it, that's entirely on you.
Yeah, what if you can't pay for your medical? What if you can't pay for the glasses you legally have to wear (if applicable)?

Quite an inventive argument.

Transport isn't there to protect you or to get you in an airplane. Transport is there to protect everyone else from you while you are flying said airplane.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

digits_ wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:07 pmYeah, what if you can't pay for your medical? What if you can't pay for the glasses you legally have to wear (if applicable)?
Seriously? How many years did you spend (and how many $1000 did you spend) getting the CPL in the first place? What did you do the first time the fee came up? Ignore it because the wonks on AvCanada said it's a BS tax? How did you get to this point without putting aside a month's cell phone coverage to cover a fee you need for employment, when you were spending hundreds every month on lessons?

If you're really that down-to-the-wire on finances, it shows a serious lack of financial planning and foresight, and a complete disregard for the "bigger picture." Not qualities a prospective employer will be impressed by, I can assure you.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

If you are content to pay $55.00 for no service that is fine.

However some of us worked to hard to be extorted forever by parasites.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

AirFrame wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:31 am
digits_ wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:07 pmYeah, what if you can't pay for your medical? What if you can't pay for the glasses you legally have to wear (if applicable)?
Seriously? How many years did you spend (and how many $1000 did you spend) getting the CPL in the first place? What did you do the first time the fee came up? Ignore it because the wonks on AvCanada said it's a BS tax? How did you get to this point without putting aside a month's cell phone coverage to cover a fee you need for employment, when you were spending hundreds every month on lessons?

If you're really that down-to-the-wire on finances, it shows a serious lack of financial planning and foresight, and a complete disregard for the "bigger picture." Not qualities a prospective employer will be impressed by, I can assure you.
I was agreeing with you. Looks like I quoted the wrong post.

If people use the "i don't have money" argument for the 55 CAD, they should also use it for the other mandatory medical costs: doctor, glasses etc.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SoaringHigh »

bald seagull wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:58 pm
SoaringHigh wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:33 am
bald seagull wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 pm This $55 fee isn't new.

If you don't like it, quit flying
What a thoughtless, useless, non-constructive comment.

Quit flying over a $55 fee... ooook pal. I don't even know what you're trying to get at here. I don't like it. It seems many of us don't. Yet I highly doubt any of us will quit flying over it.

You "like" or "enjoy" this fee? Want to cover mine next year?
Ok, Ok.......I'll be more constructive................pay your $55 fee and keep flying!

LOL Thank you

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:53 amIf you are content to pay $55.00 for no service that is fine.
As others have pointed out, a service is given for the $55, you just don't see it happening in front of your eyes. I understand the confusion.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

digits_ wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 amI was agreeing with you. Looks like I quoted the wrong post.

If people use the "i don't have money" argument for the 55 CAD, they should also use it for the other mandatory medical costs: doctor, glasses etc.
Ah, reading it again I see what you meant... Sorry about that. :)

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

As others have pointed out, a service is given for the $55, you just don't see it happening in front of your eyes. I understand the confusion.
Maybe you could clear up my confusion and tell me what service they provide that is worth $55.00 twice a year.

Thanks.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:32 amMaybe you could clear up my confusion and tell me what service they provide that is worth $55.00 twice a year.
If you read back in this thread or search here for on AvCanada for many of the other threads, others have described what happens behind the scenes. Whether you think it's "worth it" or not, isn't relevant. Service is given and charged for, and the rates for same are well known.

Duukar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duukar »

I say we all withhold our $55 bucks until transport decides to do its job and provide us with science based duty regulations.

There should be soo much shaming and flaming going on but as usual pilots are great at keeping their heads down to avoid notice.

CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

Now that I only fly for "recreation", I have a Class 4 Medical. I get a local nurse (medical practitioner" in the north) to sign the form. No charge for that, even when they do an ECG. So I save on that end but still pay the $55 even though I think it's a bit steep. From the second the nurse signs the form my medical is valid. Only got a sticker once.

Return to “General Comments”