Gyroplanes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Gyroplanes

Post by photofly »

The Cavalon looks fun, to me.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

For what it's worth, I also hold a FAA Commercial Gyroplane certificate as well as the FAA Instructor rating for gyroplanes, and got the Canadian gyroplane permit but not the Instructor rating, which seems to be out of reach at the moment due to the requirement for 250 hours PIC in gyroplane. I do some gyroplane flying overseas but do not actively instruct at the moment.

The business model most gyroplane schools follow is to become dealers for one manufacturer or another. In the United States, because of insurance issues, schools are unable to rent gyroplanes solo so a flight student invariably becomes an aircraft purchaser also. Aircraft manufacturers are quite eager to find new distributors, and Canada is a relatively unpenetrated market. I had a chat with one manufacturer a year ago- they usually ask that you have a school, at least one instructor, and buy one of their types (at dealer rate) as a start, and usually give you exclusivity over a geographic area.

The open cockpit gyroplane a like the MTO are a little easier for new pilots to learn on, and that certainly is doable with proper flying gear, but I always felt closed cockpit gyros such as the Calidus or Cavalon are more suited for the Canadian climate.

Because we are talking about $100,000 dollar machines now, I think being within an hour or two of a major population center with folks who have disposable income is important. Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal immediately come to mind, depending on how busy you want to be and how far you want to take this business. I know of one Utah based dealer who is moving to the Napa Valley area precisely for that reason- to be closer to the Silicon Valley area and make it more attractive for vacationing couples (husband wants to learn to fly but the wife wants to do wine tasting while he isn't flying). Having said that, you probably also have a shot around retirement areas (i.e. Kelowna or Vancouver Island) where not all wealthy retirees are interested in playing golf. If the US market is any indication,it is the baby-boomers who have the money for these toys. Who knows what the future of that is with younger generations who can't even afford to buy a home?

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

C.W.E. wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:47 pmYou can build your own machine and have the fun of building and then flying it.
I agree, those two steps would be fun. But you missed the step in between, getting TC to register it and give you the paperwork to let you fly an amateur-built gyrocopter. They don't want gyrocopters in Canada *at all*, let alone amateur-built ones.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:38 pmThe Cavalon looks fun, to me.
The Cavalon *is* fun, i've had a few flights in one. What I haven't spent the time on is figuring out why the controls are so freaking complicated, though. It's like they went out of their way to make it difficult to do things. No toe brakes, the brakes are a lever on the throttle with a tiny locking pin. The Rotor RPM gauge is on the far side of the cockpit from the pilot, which is asinine given how critical rotor RPM is before starting your takeoff roll. The seat heater switch is right where your elbow wants to hit it every time you shift, so you're constantly turning off the seat heaters.

But it's amazingly comfortable, the panel (apart from Rotor RPM) is a work of art, and the visibility is amazing when flying. Not very fast, but fun flying.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

photofly wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:19 pm It was yellow ... does that help?
It's a Magni, I also went up with Neil when he was in Guelph. Fun little machine and I was seriously considering getting a gyro ticket but what I had hoped could be done in a five or ten-ish hour conversion actually required a whole forty or fifty hour training program. I wasted my money on something else instead.

Aussiecat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aussiecat »

Never have flown one, But do find them interesting as does my wife, She really liked the Calidus and Cavalon when we were at S'n'F a few years ago. But at the moment our daughter sucks up what extra finances we have ...... may be a while she isn't yet 2.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I'd love to take a few flights in one, but can't see myself buying one.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Tailwheelup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tailwheelup »

One of the cool things to see is the Gyro training
at Medicine Hat airport by Gyro - CFI - Larry Ellerman
of Medicine Hat, Alberta
Cell: 403-548-5177

Return to “General Comments”