Ontario Colleges

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ontario Colleges

Post by avcraig »

Hey all,

I will soon be applying to college and am just here to get some insight of what some of your grades were going into these Ontario college Programs (Sault, Confed, Conestoga, Algonquin, etc.)

I got a 70% as a final grade for the mathematics required for these courses...a little on the lower side :|

In english I'll be finishing with at least a 75%, that's for sure, maybe even an 80%.

My physics is alright, but the colleges I'm applying to won't look at that mark, only that is is "recommended".

Honest, and not rude answers please, what are your guys'/gals thoughts on whether you think I could get accepted or not? If you're comfortable with it, please share your personal experiences.

Thanks everyone!
---------- ADS -----------

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Ontario Colleges

Post by FL-280 »

Go to seneca, they create astronauts...!! By far, the best pilots in the sky.

* Sorry, I couldnt help myself

avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avcraig »

FL-280 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:24 pm Go to seneca, they create astronauts...!! By far, the best pilots in the sky.

Seneca was an option a while ago, but I realized I couldn't put up with chem. Never was a strong subject for me. I'm average-pretty good on every other subject, just not chem.

avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avcraig »

avcraig wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:47 pm
FL-280 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:24 pm Go to seneca, they create astronauts...!! By far, the best pilots in the sky.

Seneca was an option a while ago, but I realized I couldn't put up with chem. Never was a strong subject for me. I'm average-pretty good on every other subject, just not chem.
That was weird, not sure why I typed chem. I mean Calculus and Vectors.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Calculus and vectors are one subject now? Or do you mean vector calculus? Now that's a interesting subject.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

It doesn't seem to matter where you go these days, it's kids teaching kids.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avcraig »

photofly wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:07 pm Calculus and vectors are one subject now? Or do you mean vector calculus? Now that's a interesting subject.
Calculus and Vectors are together in one subject now.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

I think seneca requires some pretty high averages for acceptance, and i believe there is a quota system. You could get an 85% in math at the college and still be bumped if there are higher marks than you. This is what i understood form friends who had tried to go there. I applied to college with a 55% in uni math (bumped it up to a 65% in summer school) Im not proud of it, but i was kinda lazy that first semester senior year.....ANYWHO I went to confed and found the physics and math courses, to be pretty average to the University level 12 courses in high school. I think youll be just fine with what you have. BIG NOTE. I wouldnt say the content in any of the college courses that are non aviation related are hard. some are senseless, but still required. However, your amount of time to complete your studying in all your courses, aviation or non aviation related will be limited with the amount of flight training youll have. PM with any questions about confed, i got classmates instructing there now, and I have gone through the program so I can give you some biased insight. also got the scoop on the sault.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Having worked with graduates from all of Ontario's aviation colleges my suggestion is Sault or Confed. Both of those institutions produce pilots with good hands and feet, good airmanship and good attitudes. Sault steers you more towards airline training and Confed steers you more towards bush flying.
I would not recommend Seneca. While their grads are very good with procedures and regulations they have generally poor hands and feet and poor decision making skills.
The remaining college programs are a mixed bag due to the fact that they farm their students out to sub contracted FTUs for flight training. The quality of the training is going to be tied more to the individual instructor than to the program as a whole. You should ask the same question over at www... runners.com. (Remove the space when you type it in). They have a lot of guys over their who have dealt closely with the colleges.

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

Seneca is very good but four years and expensive. Sault is three years and very good but math is the big challenge and the aircraft are old and frequently they fall well behind in flight training. Confed has lost its Bush focus and you end up with a single IFR only. Jazz has been hiring straight out of the Saulte and Seneca, but not from Confed. Both Seneca and the Sue are very strong on Math so be aware that that would be the biggest challenge in staying in the program.

Return to “Flight Training”