CargoJet or Transat?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

skytrucker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: CargoJet or Transat?

Post by skytrucker »

Transat. Schedule wise Cargojet leaves little room to get hours on the 767. Transat is a great employer. ALPA, benefits, excellent layovers and longevity.
---------- ADS -----------

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jd832 »

I don't know about Air Transat, but SWG as a lot of ex Cargo Jet pilots. I wonder why?

Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Handover »

jd832 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:27 pm I don't know about Air Transat, but SWG as a lot of ex Cargo Jet pilots. I wonder why?
I wouldn't say a lot. I know of a few. CJT has a lot of great things going for it. Don't know cargo flying until you have tried it... No CATSA, no delays, planes are very well maintained, no flying over the weekends, some very interesting charters etc

The nights can be a killer though. For me it really had an effect on my health.

Coming to SWG a more daylight consistent schedule suits me. Saying that, I know a ton of CJT pilots who would never leave there for Sunwing or anything else.

Each to their own.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Did the transat thing in the ancient days; politics galore and a combination of carrot and stick layoffs and promises of an eventual full time job.
So I went to Canada 3000. Full time job that goes POOF just like that.
Had this little minion stuck with the transat bs, I would be a king.
Soooo..........the bottom line is that you never know. Could be great, could be a train wreck. Transat has had many brushes with closure.
Things have changed now, millenials have a ton of money in their pockets, many of who live on inheritance, so said millenials will take lots of vacations and will also buy tons of stuff on amazon,
So, transat or cargojet are a draw. Both will make a ton of money.
Cheers

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

confusedalot wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:15 pm millenials have a ton of money in their pockets
You're crazy.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

All the millennials I know are broke

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:29 pm All the millennials I know are broke
Not all. Debt laden, yes.

S.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Blame being in your 20's and 30's. Gen X and Y were supposed to be 'the lost' generations, no jobs, huge debts etc. Even the baby boomers who we all know have ruined the world, had debt when they were younger and that was when interests rates were 18%. The sky isn't falling.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I was basically broke until I was in my 40's... but got there with no debt.

The trick is to limit your spending to within your means... that seems the hardest part for people... consumerism... new car payment, latest cel-phone, 500 channels, hobbies, new clothes, eating out, going to the pub, expensive gym membership, vacations... avocado toasts and lattes...

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

....rent

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

altiplano wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:03 am I was basically broke until I was in my 40's... but got there with no debt.

The trick is to limit your spending to within your means... that seems the hardest part for people... consumerism... new car payment, latest cel-phone, 500 channels, hobbies, new clothes, eating out, going to the pub, expensive gym membership, vacations... avocado toasts and lattes...
Mortgage payments....used car repairs and gas for commuting....food to feed 4 mouths....what hobbies, are kids hobbies....new clothes? Thank you christmas....eating out only on the road....basic cable....fit 4 less shared membership with spouse....consumerism, lol....

Most people just want a life and the ability to retire with some dignity.

S.

160tonoaha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 160tonoaha »

So how about an AC and CargoJet comparison?

At Face Value

CargoJet Max 16 days Worked
Air Canada 767/777/787 Wide Body Operation No Maximum Days
CargoJet Starts 70k, 2 years to command, start making 133k-220k as of today's collective agreement across 13 years.
Air Canada Starts 50k, 3 or so years to Command, but 15 to wide body command.
6% RRSP Matchin (12% Total) at CargoJet
17% Total DC at AC.
AC Passes at both carriers

When the music stops, will CargoJet be around? Will the bottom quarter of the AC Seniority List? CargoJet is not being competed with at all.

WestJet got destroyed in their 787/737 contract... what leg does Ac have to stand on in the next opener?

Looks to me like Air Canada isn't the only attractive option anymore.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

160tonoaha wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:57 am So how about an AC and CargoJet comparison?

At Face Value

CargoJet Starts 70k, 2 years to command, start making 133k-220k as of today's collective agreement across 13 years.
17% Total DC at AC.

When the music stops, will CargoJet be around? Will the bottom quarter of the AC Seniority List? CargoJet is not being competed with at all.

WestJet got destroyed in their 787/737 contract... what leg does Ac have to stand on in the next opener?

The healthcare package provided by AC is pretty phenomenal....DC pension is good too.

Travel bennies, one could take it or leave it. Until you've been jammed up somewhere scrambling to get home through any available hub, they seem pretty cool. Just make enough to buy your own, you may never sit up front, but you'll likely never be stuck somewhere.

Cargojet hiring DECs right now? Word is they are getting 3 more 67s in the spring.

S.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

altiplano wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:03 am I was basically broke until I was in my 40's... but got there with no debt.

... yes, "channels". And how dare youngins have "hobbies"?

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Isn't Cargojet a YHM base only? AC at least is commutable from out West.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
160tonoaha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 160tonoaha »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:40 am
160tonoaha wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:57 am So how about an AC and CargoJet comparison?

At Face Value

17% Total DC at AC.

The healthcare package provided by AC is pretty phenomenal....DC pension is good too.

Travel bennies, one could take it or leave it. Until you've been jammed up somewhere scrambling to get home through any available hub, they seem pretty cool. Just make enough to buy your own, you may never sit up front, but you'll likely never be stuck somewhere.

Cargojet hiring DECs right now? Word is they are getting 3 more 67s in the spring.

S.
CargoJet pays 100% of benefits. Does AC? The CargoJet benefits are pretty decent as well.

Anything else I am not considering?

Honestly a bit nervous to join the BOTL with the state of the economy as is. Cargo, Mail, and Worldwide Parcels have to fly. Passengers don't.

Can someone briefly explain how DC 17% at AC is better than RRSP Matching at 12% Total at CargoJet? Especially since one starts higher at CargoJet and seems to carry higher pay for longer time until you upgrade to 8-9+ formula widebody pay at AC. Aren't both programs about the company matching your income, and putting them into the market for it to grow with you having access to your money at any time? Or can someone explain the difference between the DC at AC and an RRSP matching at CargoJet ? Thanks!

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

160tonoaha wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:59 am
Honestly a bit nervous to join the BOTL with the state of the economy as is. Cargo, Mail, and Worldwide Parcels have to fly. Passengers don't.
  • The nights are a killer. It affects everyone there, some more than others. The others stay there and the place is like a zombie land at 2am with everyone on automode. You really cannot underestimate the effect lack of sleep has on you.
    Great people though.
  • The Union. Recently managed to pass a contract in the midst of a pilot shortage managed to reduce the requirements to 1500 tt along with adding two days to everyones schedule and giving all the top guys large increases.
  • New regs on flying at nights. Check out the section relating to flying at night without rest. I could be mistaken, but 3 days flying at night, two days off three days on, sounds worse to me for your home life
When a union is the companies best friend.

160tonoaha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 160tonoaha »

munzil wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:06 pm
  • The nights are a killer. It affects everyone there, some more than others. The others stay there and the place is like a zombie land at 2am with everyone on automode. You really cannot underestimate the effect lack of sleep has on you.
    Great people though.
  • The Union. Recently managed to pass a contract in the midst of a pilot shortage managed to reduce the requirements to 1500 tt along with adding two days to everyones schedule and giving all the top guys large increases.
  • New regs on flying at nights. Check out the section relating to flying at night without rest. I could be mistaken, but 3 days flying at night, two days off three days on, sounds worse to me for your home life
Thanks Munzil.

Are the nights really that different than any wide body operator? Most AC flights beginning with an 8 in their flight numbers depart between 8PM and Midnight, return the next day on the opposite side of the clock as well. Same goes for Transat. Can it be argued to be the same?

I saw the TA. Looks like First year went from 66 to 70 for FO's. Then to 74 then to 83. then 89... Year 5 you are at 97. Compared to AC that's winner. Same with Transat. What am I missing ?

Is the union the company's friend going forward? Heard there were some shuffles in that end and that someone that actually wants to do the work took over.

Thanks for the info Munzil.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Boreas wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:47 am

... yes, "channels". And how dare youngins have "hobbies"?
Yeah.... channels are expensive. I still can't afford/justify them. Had the bunny ears for a while... then just gave up on TV... $100/mo+? Nope.

My hobbies are expensive too... I'm not entitled to that shit. I couldn't afford some of them before...

Debt is even more expensive.

Last edited by altiplano on Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

160tonoaha wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:07 pm
munzil wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:06 pm
    Great people though.
Thanks Munzil.

Are the nights really that different than any wide body operator? Most AC flights beginning with an 8 in their flight numbers depart between 8PM and Midnight, return the next day on the opposite side of the clock as well. Same goes for Transat. Can it be argued to be the same?

I saw the TA. Looks like First year went from 66 to 70 for FO's. Then to 74 then to 83. then 89... Year 5 you are at 97. Compared to AC that's winner. Same with Transat. What am I missing ?

Is the union the company's friend going forward? Heard there were some shuffles in that end and that someone that actually wants to do the work took over.

Thanks for the info Munzil.
A lot of AC wide body would be with a relief pilot, I think with the new fatigue rules AT will have to add one as well. AC NB will pay the same if not more than CJ widebody so you can avoid nights if you want at AC. All the guys at KFC probably thought the same thing but CJ can be replaced just as easily as they came in, whereas building an international network like AC’s takes decades. All that being said if you are happy and you enjoy it then stay at CJ because that’s all that counts.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”