AC New hires please use your WB bid

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: AC New hires please use your WB bid

Post by Ki-ll »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:51 pm I am sure all those pilots past year 4 are finding out there are other 'fish to fry', likely issues regarding reserve, but for everyone else in this industry, ACs 'Navajo captain' starting wages affect ALL salaries by dragging down industry averages. It's not the charter companies, or LCCs and ULCCs, dragging down the industry, they, in many cases, pay more for FOs.

That's why everyone outside AC is hung up on flatpay. And why AC can't seem to find pilots for the WBs.

S.
I am not sure that the ONLY thing or even the MAJOR factor of driving the industry down is the 4 year flat pay at AC, but you have a fair point.
---------- ADS -----------

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

How come there is a course right called NH New Hire on the course right list but it isn't used for your first course? Wouldn't it be fair to allow new hires to not spend a course right especially since they often have no choice in what airplane they get?

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

In a 25 to 40 year career span how many years will you be living on 60-80k. Not trying to justify the 4 year scale however with a career potential earning of 250 to 320k a year it should’nt be a deal breaker.

A 12 year 777 FO just posted their year to date, $249k.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Dry Guy wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:28 am How come there is a course right called NH New Hire on the course right list but it isn't used for your first course? Wouldn't it be fair to allow new hires to not spend a course right especially since they often have no choice in what airplane they get?
LOL... Fair...

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Do you know what the NH course right is? You seem to know a lot.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Dry Guy wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:48 am Do you know what the NH course right is? You seem to know a lot.
There is no such thing as a NH New Hire course right.

What shows on SPB is for some other purpose IT or tracking related or something... it can't be used.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

RVR6000 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:58 pm In a 25 to 40 year career span how many years will you be living on 60-80k. Not trying to justify the 4 year scale however with a career potential earning of 250 to 320k a year it should’nt be a deal breaker.

A 12 year 777 FO just posted their year to date, $249k.
Regardless, a new hire should not start at those low wages if the new hire has years of experience at other airlines. The use of that experience should not be only to get one into Air Canada, but also recognized for pay, as is the case with other professional jobs. For instance an experienced lawyer would not be forced to start as a paralegal upon changing employment, or a nurse as an orderly just because the pay goes up in later years. Four years of flat pay is only to serve the "pyramid" which gets longer with time.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

4 years flat pay wouldn't be so hard to Swallow if at year 5 you'd jump to say $150/hr+ on the NBs.

But like you said, the pyramid keeps getting taller. Look at Jazz's b scale. 15 year FO table and 20 year Captain table with no YOS! I'm sure extending out the pay tables will be the next thing AC or ACPA pushes for to ensure more raises for their top 1500 pilots. 3 houses and a cottage isn't enough for those 777 Skippers, I guess they want a Porsche parked at each one too, maybe a float plane to get up to the cottage for the weekend?

All while the rest of us scramble for table scraps. Like you said, no one is coming to AC without quite a few years of experience and likely a bunch of 705 PIC time flying the same passengers around. Why the pay is so rediculous is beyond me.

Last edited by Lightchop on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

Lightchop wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:58 am 4 years flat pay wouldn't be so hard to Swallow if at year 5 you'd jump to say $150/hr+ on the NBs.

But like you said, the pyramid keeps getting taller. Look at Jazz's b scale. 15 year FO table and 20 year Captain table with no YOS! I'm sure extending out the pay tables will be the next thing AC or ACPA pushes for to ensure more raises for their top 1500 pilots. 3 houses and a cottage isn't enough for those 777 Skippers, I guess they want a Porsche parked at each one too, maybe a float plane to get up to the cottage for the weekend?

All while the rest of us scramble for table scraps. Like you said, no one is coming to AC without quite a few years of experience and likely a bunch of 705 PIC time flying the same passengers around. Why the pay is so rediculous is beyond me.
The top guys got the same raise as the rest of the group, 2% annually. ACPA position is more sound than you think, you’ll spend majority of your career at year 12 scale then the first 4 year. A 3-4% increase to a year 12 rate is more beneficial to the ENTIRE group than a 20% increase to the flat pay.

Upgrades are at 2.5 year, bid the left to the 320 you’ll be making a lot more than 150k. Or go over to rogue right away and make the most of their OT structure.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I'm kinda tired of people blaming AC pilots for the low starting pay.

We tried to stop 4 year flat, B-scale LCC, save the pension...

It was voted down by a majority of the membership, and then forced on us by the Ratt and Harper. We all took massive concessions in FOS. Only to have the company turning record profits and a pension in surplus a few years later.

We have been largely outmanoeuvred by the company with government help for years... But it's hardly been with the goal of screwing junior members.

Granted 777 captains did get their formula pay calculations bumped, beyond the rest of our anemic rates, got an extra 5 years on the top of the pile, and perhaps many of them generally vote to protect their pension above all... But there are also many who are just as concerned and disgusted by the losses below them. They still lag their industry peers in pay, perhaps by a slightly smaller margin, but they are behind nonetheless - same as the rest of us in this company, and in this country.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

RVR6000 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:12 am
Lightchop wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:58 am 4 years flat pay wouldn't be so hard to Swallow if at year 5 you'd jump to say $150/hr+ on the NBs.

The top guys got the same raise as the rest of the group, 2% annually. ACPA position is more sound than you think, you’ll spend majority of your career at year 12 scale then the first 4 year. A 3-4% increase to a year 12 rate is more beneficial to the ENTIRE group than a 20% increase to the flat pay.

Upgrades are at 2.5 year, bid the left to the 320 you’ll be making a lot more than 150k. Or go over to rogue right away and make the most of their OT structure.
I took the fast upgrade at Jazz for the money and now I'm sitting on reserve with a horrible sked. I'd rather be an FO for 5+ years, learn from the sr guys and upgrade when I want to vs. being forced to because the pay is shit.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Lightchop wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:51 pm

I took the fast upgrade at Jazz for the money and now I'm sitting on reserve with a horrible sked. I'd rather be an FO for 5+ years, learn from the sr guys and upgrade when I want to vs. being forced to because the pay is shit.
I think this is the point a lot of people are missing. The pay, while certainly improved compared to flat pay (despite still being below our US counterparts) when you bid left, lifestyle goes right out the window.

Screwed both ways unless you have a bare bones lifestyle or a spouse who can support you and the family while you navigate the AC career game.

S.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:26 pm
Lightchop wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:51 pm

I think this is the point a lot of people are missing. The pay, while certainly improved compared to flat pay (despite still being below our US counterparts) when you bid left, lifestyle goes right out the window.

Screwed both ways unless you have a bare bones lifestyle or a spouse who can support you and the family while you navigate the AC career game.

S.
If Jazz still had YOS and starting pay wasn't what it is there is a good chance I'd still be in the right seat working 12 days a month in the top %10 of the list. Losing that YOS really fucked everyone post 2015.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

If the MEC dug their heels in at Jazz you wouldn't even be working there. You would be at Sky or GGN or whatever other carrier AC would have parted the Jazz flying off to.
There would have been no fast left seats and you certainly wouldnt be the top 10% of any list at Jazz. 6 years ago the most jr upgrade was 6 years and it seemed like every bid more people were getting dropped off the bottom and back into the right seat.

I and 96% of the pilots at Jazz voted for the explosive career growth your currently enjoying. your welcome.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Sharklasers wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:00 pm If the MEC dug their heels in at Jazz you wouldn't even be working there. You would be at Sky or GGN or whatever other carrier AC would have parted the Jazz flying off to.
There would have been no fast left seats and you certainly wouldnt be the top 10% of any list at Jazz. 6 years ago the most jr upgrade was 6 years and it seemed like every bid more people were getting dropped off the bottom and back into the right seat.

I and 96% of the pilots at Jazz voted for the explosive career growth your currently enjoying. your welcome.
There's fast left seats everywhere, including at AC. The reality is, AC management offered Jazz MEC a bone. You and the 96% voted to lower the bar, while moving onto AC, ALL to ACs benefit. You're welcome to pat yourself on the back for it.

S.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Sharklasers wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:00 pm If the MEC dug their heels in at Jazz you wouldn't even be working there. You would be at Sky or GGN or whatever other carrier AC would have parted the Jazz flying off to.

If the industry remained the same as it was in 2015 I'd agree with you. But it didn't. I really don't think it would have made much of a difference, and likely would have ended up at Encore and probably already at AC! :lol:

DH8Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DH8Pilot »

Lightchop wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:31 pm

If the industry remained the same as it was in 2015 I'd agree with you. But it didn't. I really don't think it would have made much of a difference, and likely would have ended up at Encore and probably already at AC! :lol:
Quit complaining! There's plenty of pilots who were hired at Jazz only ten months after you who've spent an entire year sitting reserve DH8 FO in YUL. Sorry if most here won't shed a tear for you.

As for the circa 2015 union negotiations, I think most in the post-2015 pilot group know why they're making table 2 wages and have accepted that reality. Unfortunately, market forces prevailed. Hopefully we can gain sufficient leverage in the future to finally not have concessionary negotiations.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

DH8Pilot wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Quit complaining! There's plenty of pilots who were hired at Jazz only ten months after you who've spent an entire year sitting reserve DH8 FO in YUL. Sorry if most here won't shed a tear for you.
Lol. No one has been forced to spend 10 months on reserve in YUL. I know a few in YVR that have been there 6 months or so who are right on the edge of holding a line.

Anyone who was hired 10 months after me can hold dash, Q or even borderline RJ skipper in Montreal right now. Have you seen the latest backfill? Very Jr RJ left seats being handed out like candy.

DH8Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DH8Pilot »

Lightchop wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:41 pm
DH8Pilot wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Lol. No one has been forced to spend 10 months on reserve in YUL. I know a few in YVR that have been there 6 months or so who are right on the edge of holding a line.

Anyone who was hired 10 months after me can hold dash, Q or even borderline RJ skipper in Montreal right now. Have you seen the latest backfill? Very Jr RJ left seats being handed out like candy.
You mentioned Q and RJ, both fleets which have seen continuous, albeit slow movement. You never had to sit on the DH8 list, especially out east in YUL and YYZ. There hasn't been a single new hire on this type since June, during which time there has been only one upgrade. There's YUL DH8 FOs who've been on property for almost a year who're still sitting bottom of the list reserve. If they''d been assigned any other type, they would've easily held a block by now.

I often agree with your posts; however, you must realize there's many, many pilots who've had a far more difficult time at Jazz than you.

Return to “Air Canada”