Buttonville Tower Closed!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PlanePaully
Rank 1
Rank 1

Buttonville Tower Closed!

Post by PlanePaully »

Today is the final day for Control Tower operations at Buttonville, CYKZ. Curiously, at least from my viewpoint, you will not find a NOTAM about the change. Instead, NavCanada has posted it as an AIP Supplement. The Buttonville Control Zone will now be 24 hour Class E, MF airspace to 2000 ASL. If you are flying VFR in the area, remember to make your initial MF call at least five minutes before entering the zone. Fly safely friends!

Here is the NavCanada link:

https://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-an ... ure-EN.pdf
---------- ADS -----------

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Buttonville Tower Closed!

Post by linecrew »

The new CFS and CAP charts don't show a tower frequency anymore, just the MF, so there's no need for a NOTAM I guess.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Hopefully there will be a sufficient number of CADOR’s coming up to revoke the decision to close the tower before a major accident happens. It’s not a case of if but when the latter will inevitably occur.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

linecrew wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:03 pm The new CFS and CAP charts don't show a tower frequency anymore, just the MF, so there's no need for a NOTAM I guess.
We had a similar situation in Vancouver when they redid the VFR procedures for Boundary Bay in June 2017. They took effect the day the new CFS was published, so no NOTAM was required. Who needs Nikel when you can have Automall? :P

...laura

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Thanks for the reminder PlanePaully, I'll have to break a 43 year habit of calling Buttonville tower!

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:58 pm Hopefully there will be a sufficient number of CADOR’s coming up to revoke the decision to close the tower before a major accident happens. It’s not a case of if but when the latter will inevitably occur.
It won't. All that will prove is that people have forgotten what they learned getting their private licence, and that's how to operate at an uncontrolled airport. That's a TC enforcement issue, not a Nav Can issue. In the case of student pilots, they should be okay because a qualified instructor would have signed them off as safe for solo flight.

From what I've read, Peterborough has more traffic than Buttonville now and they only have an MF as well.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

linecrew wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:06 pm
TeePeeCreeper wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:58 pm Hopefully there will be a sufficient number of CADOR’s coming up to revoke the decision to close the tower before a major accident happens. It’s not a case of if but when the latter will inevitably occur.
It won't. All that will prove is that people have forgotten what they learned getting their private licence, and that's how to operate at an uncontrolled airport. That's a TC enforcement issue, not a Nav Can issue. In the case of student pilots, they should be okay because a qualified instructor would have signed them off as safe for solo flight.

From what I've read, Peterborough has more traffic than Buttonville now and they only have an MF as well.

Oh dear,

Are you really comparing Buttonville the last bastion of GA left anywhere near the GTA to Perterbough?!?

I feel for your small town airport... I really do but shall we agree that a tower closure which will inevitably cause an accident is worthy of your personal airport’s cause?

I will admit that I have no horse in this race other than not seeing anyone get hurt! Buttonville is an accident waiting to happen, your airport might be very well be at risk but your need to detract from the evident is shameless and selfish on your part.

Regards,
TPC

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:23 am
linecrew wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Oh dear,

Are you really comparing Buttonville the last bastion of GA left anywhere near the GTA to Perterbough?!?

I feel for your small town airport... I really do but shall we agree that a tower closure which will inevitably cause an accident is worthy of your personal airport’s cause?

I will admit that I have no horse in this race other than not seeing anyone get hurt! Buttonville is an accident waiting to happen, your airport might be very well be at risk but your need to detract from the evident is shameless and selfish on your part.

Regards,
TPC
E259D885-1F01-4155-AAD6-55DC0E2B3A45.jpeg
E259D885-1F01-4155-AAD6-55DC0E2B3A45.jpeg (43.02 KiB) Viewed 1488 times

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:23 am

Regards,
TPC
Your condescending/ignorant statement about location (i.e. "I feel for your small town airport...") is laughable because at the end of the day this has nothing to do with where an airport is but rather how many aircraft are in the control zone at the same time. Peterborough has more and apparently is operating safely, end of story.

I don't want to see anyone hurt either but if there is an incident it will be a pilot proficiency issue, not a lack of tower issue.

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

I love how the VTPC in the new CFS is blatantly incorrect. It shows the YKZ control zone as being class E up to 3500 ft. I have a feeling someone will read that and then get a real good view of a 777.

It has been corrected by NOTAM, but this should not have made it to the printing press.

cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cap41 »

Since Seneca went to pboro, I rarely fly in there anymore. too many close calls,

Return to “General Comments”