Does Anyone Remember the Maple, Ontario Airport ?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

schmoo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Does Anyone Remember the Maple, Ontario Airport ?

Post by schmoo »

That is a very cool pic...not only of the airport, but of Wonderland.

Thanks for that.

Now that I've had a taste, I want to see more.
---------- ADS -----------

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

I've flown in and out of Maple, was there when a Cessna spun out on the runway, but the most interesting was the drug run that crashed into the trees where Wonderland now is!!

The US registered Cessna was flying south above the 400, the private pilot (with low hours) flying in light snow at night, and was busy keying the mike, and looking out the window for the runway lights to come on - when the flew right into the trees.

Aircraft remained suspended in the trees, as they climbed out and left a trail leading to Jane Street.

howard40
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by howard40 »

Hung out around maple in the 60s as a small kid, and again in the 80's when I based my plane there for the winters around 83 to 87 as there is not much flying where I live in the winter.
was flying with my dad the night the barn burned down! that was neat and he was afraid to land the tcraft in all the floating "glowing" ash from the fire.

had first ride there in about 64 or so in the back of a champ , two kids one belt, dad up front with a brand new lic! used to sit in car and watch him do circuits in lessons! whole family waiting in car , heck it was an outing... one car family etc...

got gum when we went flying! (for ears, wonder I am not deaf!) tcraft with no headsets equals loud!! noone wore headsets in the 60s (almost nooone!) in fact I learned in the 79/80 season and noone wore them then either!! how things change!

Never had a headset till about 1987! very few did! (rich guys? headsets were crap in the early 80's)

almost all the planes were hand start,in the early maple days and 60's, and the gas jockeys would give you a prop flip,to start you , after a fill up.

Remember the swimming pool full of leaves and it had turtles in it! wild ones!

all kinds of models hanging from roof in farmhouse club house.

saw folks getting ifr ratings with orange plastic sheets for windscreen and orange glasses to make it impossible to see out of airplane I guess?
still have my dads leather flying jacket(from the 60's) with TFC (toronto flying club) crest and still wear it a few times a year flying,....... you know why....

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yes, I remember Maple. I used to drive to there, pick up the 182, and fly to work at Toronto International, back when that was a practical thing to do! Then, Maple was closed.....

Flying home to Pottageville aerodrome from Downsview one beautiful afternoon, I happened over the now closed Maple airport. The airport had succumbed to the high land values, and would soon be a residential subdivision. It had been officially closed for the better part of a year, but was still occasionally used by the odd aviator. Indeed, a friend of mine, from whom I had purchased my Cessna 150, still parked his 172 there. It was the only aircraft left, and was tucked right up to the former club house.

As I looked down, I noticed with some surprise that one paved runway was now completely gone, and the other was was well on it’s way out. The pavement was being collected for recycling. Satisfying myself that it could be safely done, I landed on what remained of the last runway, and pulled off to the side. I shut down, and went over to talk to the operators of the pavement eating machine.

To my surprise, the operator of the machine said hello to me by name! Who was this, and how did he know me? Well at least he would not chew me out for landing in the middle of his day’s work… It turns out that we had met the previous summer, when another friend and I flew in to his neighour’s cottage, and he was there. Apparently I had talked flying to him – wow what a memory!

Anyway… “how long will the rest of this runway be here?”. “all gone by the end of the day”. Hmmm, friend's 172 was there, and would like to depart on a runway. I left my plane parked where it was, and went over to his. Sure enough, the key was still hidden where he had always left it, more than a year ago. I checked it over. It had fuel and was ready to go. I fired it up and taxied it out to what was left of the runway. Off I went with no problem. I flew promptly up to Pottageville where I left it parked and went for a phone (this was well before the common use of cell phones). I called the company which he owned, and explained that I needed a ride back to Maple fast. Sure enough, a short time later, a rather perplexed truck driver arrived to pick me up. He drove me back to my plane. I sent word with him that my friend must be told of the new home of his plane. I greeted the pavement eating machine fellow, and gave him a wave as I left. By that time there was no longer enough runway to use, so I took off across the grass tiedown area which had not been affected.

I landed back into Pottageville thinking I was probably the last plane to use Maple airport, as the next day it was completely devoid of runways. My friend phoned a few days later to thank me for getting his plane out.

Maple is just a memory now, but a good one....

flyalmaguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyalmaguin »

EA757 wrote:I got my private license at the Maple Airport (Maple Air Services) in 1970. I loved that airport, and it really hurt to see it shut down. Best little restaurant (maybe you remember Peggy - her business), and of course the 400 Flying Club, and a group of guys loosely referred to as the Goose Squadron. Remember Sam, AME would visit the airport clubhouse and restaurant once a month and do a slew of medicals on site. I remember my first flight was in CF-VBA, soloed in CF-WQH (had the nick name Whiskey sour for some reason or other). Maybe you remember CFI's- Vic or Dave, or some of the instructors like Lou (ex- WWII RCAF - best instructor in the world) Mike, Ken, or Randy. Couple of these dudes went onto Air Canada.

The Maple airport was founded by Marion Orr who was a ferry pilot during WW II.

Maybe you remember Kevin and Terry from King City, or the
late Herb. Herb ran an aircraft salvage business at King til it was sold and then he built an airport in Beaverton if I am not mistaken. Herb was big in COPA and EAA.

I was so blessed to be young at that time and to have made the acquaintances of so many wonderful (and older) people with skills, education and above all patience...
It's a horrible shame general aviation of the likes above is dying a slow painful death here in Canada. They (the industry) seem to cry about the looming pilot shortage, yet the atmosphere above (being able to roam around a local flying patch as a kid) is what I remember. It's also what, at a young age, cemented my desire to get my PPL which eventually I did. I didn't move on to a career flying, but I'm sure many did.

I took my first ever fixed-wing airplane ride at Maple, thanks to a gift certificate from my uncle who was working on his PPL at the time (my first overall flight was in a Hughes 500 at the CNE/Ontario Place waterfront). I distinctly remember taking off in a C-172 and flying past the newly constructed Wonder Mountain. It was just a lattice structure, partly covered in shotcrete.

Later in my youth, I remember being in line for the Minebuster roller-coaster and watching planes take off from Maple, both day and night.

Crew
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Crew »

It's wonderful to read this thread. I also flew out of Maple. Took my lessons there, went solo and worked part time on the desk. Ken Trone was the CFI that I remember. This was in the mid to late seventies. My favorite 152 at the time was CF-PKI. MY favorite instructor and friend was Rick Pilson. Going into Greenbank was always a hoot for me. Flew on my student permit as long as I could then finally did a pre Flight Test and did fine but lost my job before I could book the flight test and haven't flown in over 30 years. I have been looking into the Ultra Light equipment as of late in the hopes of getting back in the air.

BeechjetYKZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeechjetYKZ »

The King City airport is now the head office for Beamish Construction. If you are ever driving on the 400, you'll see the familiar control-tower shaped building near King-Vaughan Road. From overhead you can see where the runway/ramp was. If you exit and go a little bit east of the 400 you can see the tower.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Maple,+oN ... a&t=h&z=17

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Maple,+oN ... 1,,2,-1.48

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ruddersup? »

Met my wife to be there in 1964. Yup still married.
Trained under Jim Garbutt, Len Mctaggart, Vic Arthur. Priceless times

EA757
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by EA757 »

Vic Arthur was the CFI when I trained there.
I did my private flight test with him in 1970.
Great guy.

Ruddersup,
Did you belong to the 400 Flying Club?

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ruddersup? »

It wasn't a Club was it but rather a reason to not dringk alone. I do remember parties in the old farm house and in the late 60's spent much time at King City. A lot of the Maple gang moved up to King. I think the Club was formed after I moved to Barrie.

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

Does anyone remember the purple and white Harvard that was based there in the 1970's?

Cheers...Chris

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ruddersup? »

That was my father-in-law's Harvard. We painted it robin's egg blue, yuk.

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

The one I am talking about was a purple colour with white trim and a some checkering. It was always parked on the north end of the airfield.

Cheers...Chris

EA757
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by EA757 »

I recall one harvard that tied down at Maple,
but it sure wasn't purple and white...

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

ruddersup? wrote:That was my father-in-law's Harvard. We painted it robin's egg blue, yuk.
The Harvard was owned by my Dads buddy the late Stan Castle.
Stan flew CF-MTX for many years before selling it to the at that time fledgling Canadian Harvard Assoc.
I have picture of Stan and CF-MTX right here in my office . It was taken at Peterborough Ont in 1969 at the
1st Canadian Aerobatics Championship . He is holding two trophies , so must have won something
The Harvard was was bare aluninum at that point but yes became robins egg blue later and had
Woody the Wood Pecker nose art.

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

Here's a short post-war history of the aircraft.

Cheers...Chris

Harold A. Engel, Waterloo, Ontario, 1965-1966. Registered as CF-MTX

Kenneth Gamble Limited, Hamilton, Ontario, 1968

Stanley Castle, Toronto, Ontario, 1968-1975

Robert A. Hewitt, Woodstock Ontario, December 1975-1992.

Norm Beckham, Bob Hewitt, Len Fallowfield & Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association, Woodstock, Ontario, 1978-1992

Jim Goff, Seminole Air Centre, Seminole, Oklahoma, April 1992-1997. Registered as N3191G

Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association, Tillsonburg, Ontario, 30 July 1997-2009

Registered as C-FMTX. Under restoration 2005-2009

Craig Wilson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Craig Wilson »

Hi there,

Rick was my instructor as well back in 1980. He was a fantastic instructor! I remember Deiter Busch and Ken Trone. Ken checked my out on my flight test. I understand that Rick is now retired with Transport Canada. Like you, I stopped flying in 1981 but maintained my medical until 1993 and did some dual a few times. Recently I got back into flying and am currently flying out of Burlington Airpark. It's a really nice little airport with really good instructors. Reminds me of Maple. If you are in the area I can recommend it highly.

Good luck!

Craig

airbusflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by airbusflyer »

Started my flying lessons there back in 1979. Great place to learn, especially as a 16 year old. Buttonville was too intimidating and more like a swanky golf and country club then a flying club...

Vaguely remember the annual banquets, and some of the great characters that instructed out of there.

Remember taking off in a fully laden C172 on a hot August day...learned about density altitude that day as I just cleared the strip mall to the east!
Remember being in ground school the morning the Toronto Airways Aztec crashed into Lake Simcoe killing all on board...we heard the news while in class. Shook us all up.

That was 40 years ago...oh how time flies!

A military career later, two airlines later (C3 and Big Red), I look back at my roots as a teenager learning to fly, and still living the dream. I wouldn't change a thing and thank Maple for the formative years that helped shape me to the aviator I am today.

I now fly recreationally out of Burlington (as a previous poster stated). He is right, somewhat similar feel to the Maple days...it just takes me over an hour to get there!

Would be great if we had a field like King or Maple given their proximity to Toronto...oh well, we had it good back then...who would have guessed all the fields would close?

It's sad to look back as aviation was just so much simpler back then. I feel for the kids starting out, my son included. I hope they will have as much "fun" as we had.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

One of my early projects was the repair and installation of a set of PK 3500 amphib floats on a friend's Cessna 185. Not long after, I had to fly one of his planes to Maple. He flew down in the 185 amphib to Maple to pick me up, with the promise that I could fly it back to Pottageville. This was my first amphib flying from left seat. Taxiing out in the confined area of the Maple ramp was intimidating, though the wings passed over everything, so it was not so bad. In due time, and after careful taxiing, I was on the takeoff fun. I climbed out, getting used to the large plane in my hands.

I was just out of the circuit, headed to Pottageville. I heard a shriek of pain from the owner, who was right seat, followed by yelling “get this thing back on the ground fast!”. I looked over, and to my great surprise, saw his bare legs (it was summer shorts season) covered with black engine oil. He was quickly wiping it away, as it was obviously very hot! It was only rolling his seat all the way back, that got him out of the still present stream spraying out from under the instrument panel.

I pulled the power back, which slowed the stream a bit, and rejoined the circuit. He could not get near the controls, so my first amphib landing was on my own, other than for some heated advice! I got down no problem, and taxied back in. The two or three quarts of oil in the cockpit, told me that there would be enough left in the engine to taxi in and park.

Examination showed that it was the failure of a very fragile solid aluminum oil pressure instrument line. The restricting orifice which should have been in that line, did not seem to be effective. It was a mess to clean up, and we had a new line made for us there, then off we went, still mopping up oil from the cabin floor.
Toronto Airways Aztec crashed into Lake Simcoe killing all on board
I was a grade 12 student at King City Secondary School when that happened. Though I did not connect it at the time, my physics teacher was gone for two weeks a while later. When he returned, he asked me to stay after class. I was wondering which student deficiency was about to be highlighted to me. Instead, he explained in confidence that he had been on the coroner's jury for that accident. He knew I was a pilot, and he had some questions about piloting - particularly low flying over a featureless surface.

PlanePaully
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PlanePaully »

I don't really remember much about the airport, but my very first flight was in a 172 from the Maple airport. I was so young that I could not see over the panel! Our family friend Ron took my dad and me on a sightseeing tour over Niagara Falls. I had always been afraid of heights, but I loved that flight and felt no fear at all!

Return to “General Comments”