New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

yvonne2823
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New hire bids

Post by yvonne2823 »

4 YVR Q
1 YYZ Q
3 YUL Q
4 YUL Classic
3 YVR RJ
1 YYC RJ
---------- ADS -----------

pilot4hire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4hire »

Might be a silly question but let’s say I wanted a specific base and did not get it, can I eventually bid for it? If so, how long would the wait typically be?
Do people ever switch to a different aircraft type?

Thanks

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

pilot4hire wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:15 am Might be a silly question but let’s say I wanted a specific base and did not get it, can I eventually bid for it? If so, how long would the wait typically be?
Do people ever switch to a different aircraft type?

Thanks
You can request the base you want almost right after you get your type (Electronic Standing Bid). Getting the base is a matter of seniority. Once you can hold that base on your type you will be moved. Things currently are still moving so people are getting bases usually within 6mths of hire. Occasionally there is a longer wait and it also depends on what type you're flying. For example if you're on the CRJ YYC it might take a little while longer as the base is quite senior and they recently reduced some of the RJ's out of YYC. If you want DH8 YUL you'll probably get it quickly. Changing types is almost always after your 4yr type freeze or initial captain upgrade. When you upgrade you can pick any plane you can hold seniority wise. If anyone tells you that "differences" courses for the DH8 and Q400 happen often are lying. They can happen but are extremely rare in my opinion (I can be wrong) but based on what I see the type you get on day 2 is the type you'll have for 4 years as FO or until you upgrade and choose something different.

Best suggestion is pick where you want to live vs. the plane you want to fly. You can always change that but commuting add's a whole next level to the game.

CFM56
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CFM56 »

As per our contract you’re frozen on type for 4yrs (following the initial line check) in the same base or 2 yrs if you are trying to transfer to another base.

I’ve been told from an ALPA rep that they seeked clarification from management on the Q400 vs DH8 for the freeze. They claimed that there isn’t one because it’s a differences course and not a full out new type (I’m still sceptical on that).

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

CFM56 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:53 am As per our contract you’re frozen on type for 4yrs (following the initial line check) in the same base or 2 yrs if you are trying to transfer to another base.

I’ve been told from an ALPA rep that they seeked clarification from management on the Q400 vs DH8 for the freeze. They claimed that there isn’t one because it’s a differences course and not a full out new type (I’m still sceptical on that).
That's not going to happen. As far as Jazz is concerned, and their "FREEZE POLICY", the DH8 and Q400 are two different type ratings. That's one of the main reason I quit Jazz.

My advice to anyone: IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE PLANE / DESTINATIONS YOU'RE FLYING PICK THE PLANE, NOT THE BASE. IT'S A LOT EASIER TO SWITCH BASES THAN IT IS TO SWITCH PLANES. OF COURSE, THAT DOES NOT APPLY IF YOU REALLY WANT YYZ BASE AND YOU ALSO WANT THE RJ.

Das ist mir wurst...
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

HansDietrich wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:47 pm
CFM56 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:53 am As per our contract you’re frozen on type for 4yrs (following the initial line check) in the same base or 2 yrs if you are trying to transfer to another base.

That's not going to happen. As far as Jazz is concerned, and their "FREEZE POLICY", the DH8 and Q400 are two different type ratings. That's one of the main reason I quit Jazz.

My advice to anyone: IF YOU CARE ABOUT THE PLANE / DESTINATIONS YOU'RE FLYING PICK THE PLANE, NOT THE BASE. IT'S A LOT EASIER TO SWITCH BASES THAN IT IS TO SWITCH PLANES. OF COURSE, THAT DOES NOT APPLY IF YOU REALLY WANT YYZ BASE AND YOU ALSO WANT THE RJ.

I agree with Hans, if you care about the plane you fly and the overnights you will have please do some research into where they overnight etc. Hans was not impressed with his DH8 YYZ experience as it goes to the lovely northern destinations such as YSB (worst overnight in YYZ base IMO). The DH8 out west does some very nice overnights though, YLW, YCD, YXE, YYJ, YQQ......but also YMM (which isn't' awful but the hotel does need some TLC) lol

The CRJ will do a ton of US flying and US overnights which is lovely for the per diem (currently) as well as some cross country and a lot of YWG stand ups (if you're western based). The Q and RJ do a lot of stand ups, the DH8 does a few but not as many as the Q or RJ.

Do some research if plane/overnight is important. If life style and where you live/spend your time on RSV is important then pick a base. It's almost a guarantee that you'll be on RSV for a few months at minimum when you start.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

This is not true. The q400 and classic are differences and are not frozen. If you went from one to the other then an RJ

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Oxi wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:18 pm

This is not true. The q400 and classic are differences and are not frozen. If you went from one to the other then an RJ
Well if things have changed, since I quit, then maybe you're correct, but I had the Q400 on my standing bid from day one. 1.5 years later I was still on the Dash 8. I was told by ALPA there is nothing they can do. They can't get me on the Q because I'm frozen on the DH8

Das ist mir wurst...
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

HansDietrich wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:36 pm
Oxi wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:18 pm

Well if things have changed, since I quit, then maybe you're correct, but I had the Q400 on my standing bid from day one. 1.5 years later I was still on the Dash 8. I was told by ALPA there is nothing they can do. They can't get me on the Q because I'm frozen on the DH8

The only place I've really seen anyone get released was if they were for example a classic FO, took the upgrade on the Q and a few months later could hold the RJ. Since the Q upgrade was not a full initial they were able to move up to the RJ. I have not however, heard of any people moving FO classic to FO Q or vise versa on the "differences" course. There may be a few but none that I know of.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

When bidding the new base, can we see our number on the list to have a rough idea of when we'll be holding the base we bid?
Do we need to bid every month or the system keeps us on the list?

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Lightchop wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:46 pm The only place I've really seen anyone get released was if they were for example a classic FO, took the upgrade on the Q and a few months later could hold the RJ. Since the Q upgrade was not a full initial they were able to move up to the RJ. I have not however, heard of any people moving FO classic to FO Q or vise versa on the "differences" course. There may be a few but none that I know of.
From my experience, [sadly], you are correct!

Das ist mir wurst...
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Babar350 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:47 pm When bidding the new base, can we see our number on the list to have a rough idea of when we'll be holding the base we bid?
Do we need to bid every month or the system keeps us on the list?
Yes. Every month a seniority / position list comes out. You will know your seniority number and where you stand in regards to the rest of the people. Say you're on the Q400 in YUL and you always wanted Q400 YYC. You can see your seniority number and compare that to the seniority number of the guy at the bottom of the Q400 YYC FO list. You will have an idea if you can hold that base.

Now what you don't know is who's leaving from that Q400 YYC FO list, or if the list gets shrunk, or if anybody above you from other bases want that Q400 YYC FO spot. Maybe a senior Q400 YYZ FO has a girlfriend that just got a job as a waitress at Cowboys in Calgary, and since she'll make more tips in one night than he makes in 4 days of flying, he'll want to follow her to Calgary. Now you're going to have to give way to him.

Edit: I'll add this... You don't need to update every month. Your standing bid is your standing bid and carries over to the next month. That's why it's important NOT to forget about what you have on that standing bid. You may all the sudden get a position that you forgot you bid for and you're sh*t out of luck. You have to take it.

Das ist mir wurst...
Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

Thank you, that's clear now!

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Hans Dietrich..LOL.. "Now what you don't know is who's leaving from that Q400 YYC FO list, or if the list gets shrunk, or if anybody above you from other bases want that Q400 YYC FO spot. Maybe a senior Q400 YYZ FO has a girlfriend that just got a job as a waitress at Cowboys in Calgary, and since she'll make more tips in one night than he makes in 4 days of flying, he'll want to follow her to Calgary"... :laughbig:

Keep the dirty side down.
CFM56
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CFM56 »

Hence why I said I was sceptical when I was told that.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

From what I've been told about the "differences" on the Q to DH8 and vice versa is "its at the companies discretion". If THEY need you on a different type and it suits them they can "give you the course" and you're unfrozen. But I've never heard of it happening.....but they kinda leave it out there as a carrot. So please do your research and choose well when its your bid day (unless you don't have a choice like myself.....last in my class) lol. So please do not bank on going to the Q from the DH8 because they are same type. If you really really want the Q bid the Q. Bidding the DH8 won't get you to the Q any faster.

Last edited by KenoraPilot on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re:

Post by HansDietrich »

KenoraPilot wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 am From what I've been told about the "differences" on the Q to DH8 and vice versa is "its at the companies discretion". If THEY need you on a different time and it suits them they can "give you the course" and you're unfrozen. But I've never heard of it happening.....but they kinda leave it out there as a carrot. So please do your research and choose well when its your bid day (unless you don't have a choice like myself.....last in my class) lol. So please do not bank on going to the Q from the DH8 because they are same type. If you really really want the Q bid the Q. Bidding the DH8 won't get you to the Q any faster.
Yup! Everything he said. Except he probably meant "Diffent Type" not "different time"

Das ist mir wurst...
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Re:

Post by Rowdy »

HansDietrich wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:19 pm
KenoraPilot wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 am From what I've been told about the "differences" on the Q to DH8 and vice versa is "its at the companies discretion". If THEY need you on a different time and it suits them they can "give you the course" and you're unfrozen. But I've never heard of it happening.....but they kinda leave it out there as a carrot. So please do your research and choose well when its your bid day (unless you don't have a choice like myself.....last in my class) lol. So please do not bank on going to the Q from the DH8 because they are same type. If you really really want the Q bid the Q. Bidding the DH8 won't get you to the Q any faster.
Yup! Everything he said. Except he probably meant "Diffent Type" not "different time"
I know of a couple captains who were released from the freeze to go from classic/q to the RJ. I've yet to see a frozen FO move from the classic to the Q. Not sure why anyone would want to make the swap. But I'm out west, where we don't hate the classic.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Rowdy wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:39 am
I know of a couple captains who were released from the freeze to go from classic/q to the RJ. I've yet to see a frozen FO move from the classic to the Q. Not sure why anyone would want to make the swap. But I'm out west, where we don't hate the classic.
The classic is the better job out west by far. The Q is a slave driver.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:19 am
Rowdy wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:39 am

The classic is the better job out west by far. The Q is a slave driver.

AMEN I pray we don't lose the Classics any time soon.....the Q drivers work wayyyyy too hard for their money. (Sorry boys/girls)

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”