AME Apprentice Interview

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

aidantaylor
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME Apprentice Interview

Post by aidantaylor »

Hey, I will be graduating my aircraft maintenance program this spring but I am currently starting to look for apprenticeships. I was wondering if there are any tips or suggestions or ever example question that I may be ask so I can prepare for interview. Thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: AME Apprentice Interview

Post by Pacqing »

Some questions you might get asked. Did you grow up on a farm? yes,? you'r hired.
What do you drive? Do you do your own oil changes and tire rotations etc? Whats your mechanical background? Have you tinkered with bikes, motorcycles and autos ? Can you load a grease gun? How do you feel about spending your first year cleaning bellies and engine cowls? How do you feel about working afternoons, 4 in the afternoon till 2AM for a few years, and stat holidays are not recognized so are you prepared to work every day of the year, maybe Christmas day off? You graduated top marks in your class? Don't care, doesn't mean diddly.

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

Everything Pacqing said +2. An apprentice is somewhere between the Janitor & the Shop Handyman. Company does not want to pay big $$ for somebody to tidy up & wash the aircraft. First few years loading cargo, cleaning, cleaning & more cleaning. Every odd job nobody wants to do will be your assignment. What they want is mechanical aptitude, no 'Lip' ( - does not argue back) & conscientious (finishes the job & does not wander off toward some new sparkle at the other side of the hanger.) They want someone who shows up every day (especially on holidays, after hours & bad weather). I have seen an apprentice get fired by the Boss for wandering across the hanger with his hands in his pockets. For the first few years - just stay busy, stay alert & be good humoured. When u get good at fixin - that is the time u can stand around & complain! .. this is what the interviewer (Boss) is thinking. ..... Unless (big UNLESS) this is one of those modern-day interviews where the HR-rep sits alongside the Company man. In this case they will ask u all types of silly Questions like 1/Give an example when u disagreed with your Boss 2/ How did u resolve an issue with a coworker 3/ Give an example of where u took the initiative .. etc. Figure out which type of interview it will be ... A/Mom-Pop operation (old school) or B/Modern version. For old school - just be genuine -No BS .. for Modern style interview Spend a day researching questions on the internet & preparing answers. There will be no time to "Awwww" or have stupid expressions - u have to have the prepped answers ready .. Only answer the question & shut up. Do not hint about the great after-school parties or dangerous stuff u like to do. (HR are trained to pick up on this) Do not dribble on & on about nonsense ... Good luck.

Separate issue .. Just as they have Questions about u, have a good look around to see what you are getting involved with. I remember when I took a long weekend in the school year to go to Yellowknife for a job search prior to Graduation. I was so enthusiastic getting a job in those job-rare days - that I did not see what I got mixed up with. In Those days .. operator had a unheated Quonset hanger (furnace only in office) which required me to move & Start up the AC every morning (in those Balmy -20 Winter days). Forget about Health & Safety - Boss had me in a Cessna Wet wing with a electric hair dryer curing PRC, & my living accommodations consisted of Sleeping bag on Living room floor alongside the dog. Never the less, Im the better for it today.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Depends also what you want to do, work for a big FBO like Cascade, KF Aero and you will never sit in the cockpit and taxi the machine down to the run up pad and do engine runs, well maybe in 20 years. Those big shops they could hire kids off the street to do most of the tasks, I guess Appis do that. And the big airline maintenance have a saying, "park brain at door before entering" Get on with a smaller outfit, show that you have what it takes and in no time you'll be interacting with the pilot group (not always a good thing) and taking the aircraft out yourself to do runs and see if its finger trouble on their part or an actual snag, then you take it upon your self to fix it. You'll do engine/prop changes on a regular basis as well as all the other shit they don't teach you in school. Chances are if the company has a HR dept and you sit down with a group of shirts and do touchy feely questions as compared to you talking to the owner or DOM then its usually separate worlds.

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

Again Pacqing - U right on the money!
Are u single and adventurous or a Family man just seeking security? Lot of guys starting of at Air Canada, Westjet, Jazz just want a steady paycheck & dont care if they have to hump the boss to get it. Usually big union 'mentality' where $$ is the only reason they get out of bed. In this situation every day being the same - until u realize 15 years just passed u by .. I remember my second week at AC Heavy in Vancouver - all we were talking about was retirement plans & pension funds.
On the other hand; if looking for a new thrill every day - Northern or oversea assignments is a totally different animal. If you dont like having somebody watching your every move & also enjoy doing some fishing when the base is quiet; this is where it is at. I Remember; doing an annual at some remote lodge - had to sign off the magneto impulse coupling AD. Had to remove the impulse coupling to thoroughly inspect it. Ended up with both magnetos falling apart from old-age because no-one had ever looked at them. Somehow managed to jury-rig the magnetos together so we could fly out - to get replacement parts. Nothing like flying thru 3000 foot mountain canyons with magnetos that could hick-up at any moment. No thoughts about Pension funds this day.
Just take your pick on where your life goals lie! I suggest that while still unburdened with family responsibilities - Take the Northern route & scare yourself silly. One day ur kid will ask - what u did? Hate to tell him that that all i did was repair cargo floor rollers for 20 years ! If you start off at a Major Outfit - all you will learn is how to drag out the clock; spend as much time as possible doing nothing. Deferring all responsibility to the next guy on the shift. Also .. the smaller operators will see you being tainted from working at a such an organization - & may 'avoid u later'. Finish your career at a Major - dont start it there.

PS. Apologize .. this reply has nothing to do with Interview questions :-)

Piston Power
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Piston Power »

Lots of great advice above.

In addition learn as much as you can about the companies your applying to. Know the aircraft they operate, where they operate, what kind of business is it (Cargo, charter, commuter) etc. Companies like to know that you took the time to learn about what they do. As a potential employee, you are an investment for the company, and they in turn like to know that you also have invested some time into them.

Hope this helps, and best of luck.

aidantaylor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aidantaylor »

Thanks, even for the bits not about the interview. it all helps, especially when itll be time to actually decide where to work.

Return to “Maintenance”