YVR Commuters

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Canada340
Rank 1
Rank 1

YVR Commuters

Post by Canada340 »

Wondering if there's anyone who commutes from YYZ/YUL to YVR. I'd love to hear how you make it work, what the schedules are like for more junior guys, etc. Are you able to bid pairings that begin and end with deadheads to YVR? DM me if you'd like.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: YVR Commuters

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

I would like to second this-if you can let us know, that would be great! PM me also!

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

How junior is Transats YVR base?

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

As per this last bid only 1 fo is based in yvr. So not junior whats so ever .
We do have a jump seat agreement with air canada and westjet availeable as of day 1.

Andy

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

andy_mtl wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:36 pm As per this last bid only 1 fo is based in yvr. So not junior whats so ever .
We do have a jump seat agreement with air canada and westjet availeable as of day 1.

Andy
Does this mean that it takes quite some time to hold YVr vase as an FO? I would be commuting to YYZ but would rather not move there and instead would love to be based in YVR. How many FO spots are there at any given time?

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

As of now there are no openings in yvr and i doubt the base will grow but this is now. I dont know what the future hold for the yvr base.
However, take the summer with 5 and 6 days pairings, it does make commuting easier. The winter with turns... its another story .
I m doing the yul yyz commute so far and dont find it too bad, yvr is a bit of a longer flight but coking down the day before will ensure you not missing a flight.

Andy

sluggo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sluggo »

There are a number of guys commuting from YVR and even YYJ. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the YVR base grow a little in the coming years but it is pretty much on ice right now.

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

Anyone care to share their commuting experience from the west thius far? How viable is it?

sluggo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sluggo »

The corridor between YVR and YYZ is well served so you have a lot of options. That being said our flights are the most reliable bet for commuting (I've never been bumped myself). There are a few crash pad options in YYZ, which you would probably need to use as the hotels around the airport have become kind of pricey recently.
For the winter season the scheduling program changes a little from year to year but it's common for YYZ F/Os, for example, to have a variety of multi-day pairing options to choose from which enable them to spend most of their time away from home either in the plane or at a decent hotel while on the job. These work really well for commuters. There are also many turns directly from YVR down south, which also reduce commuting.
For the summer transatlantic pairings you will want to get to YYZ the day before but when returning home after your EU pairing you just hop on the next available YYZ-YVR.
Like any other company, business comes first however they have shown us through initiatives, etc that they understand and provide some support to their commuting employees.
The flight is longer than other commutes but otherwise no different.

sluggo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sluggo »

Canada340 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:32 pm Wondering if there's anyone who commutes from YYZ/YUL to YVR. I'd love to hear how you make it work, what the schedules are like for more junior guys, etc. Are you able to bid pairings that begin and end with deadheads to YVR? DM me if you'd like.

Thanks!
Canada340, our flying is really varied so you have some interesting options to bid on. The way the company assembles the pairings is up to them (big picture stuff we aren't smart enough for) but they have many to choose from that work really well for commuters. As of yet, you wouldn't be able to have a DH from YVR built into your pairing unless you were YVR based however they have had many which start in YUL or more often in YYZ which start with DH to YVR. This one you can cancel and have a portion credited toward another some other flight or hotel you may need in the future.

The commute is easy enough to YYZ and YUL.

FYI I just had a look at the last few months schedules for the narrow body and there is A LOT of flying from YVR for both YYZ and YUL based F/Os and throughout the entire seniority list.

Return to “Air Transat”