WJ called out

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

WJ called out

Post by Old fella »

---------- ADS -----------

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: WJ called out

Post by V1Vr »

Wow. Westjet is really fucking shit up.

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

What WestJet did is cheap but not surprising. More of this goes on then people realize.

In my opinion the airlines should start charging for Carryon and stop charging for checked bags. Maybe we would be able to get thru security in 5 minutes rather then 30. May actually get back to boarding a 737 in 20 minute not 40. It totally amazes me how airlines allow people to break the rules on a daily basis. They all have 2 carry bag policies with size and weight restrictions. I guarantee ½ the carryon bags don’t meet the restrictions. Every time there is a bit of a bounce I wait for the overloaded overheads to come crashing down on my head .Yet the gate agents allow people to get on anyway. I have yet to fly in the last 2 years were people carry their bag to the gate and offer to check it in for free to save space. They obviously are not worried about loosing a their bag. Just worried about paying for it. I have witnessed people come on with up to 4 bags in their possession. No one stops them. Then they get on the plane and take 5 minutes running up and down the isles looking for overhead space.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

delete

Last edited by Sharklasers on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stayls
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stayls »

They are in a change...

Do you want to become an airline like Ryanair?

if yes you are on a very correct path. Good luck with it.

Now we might not have any competitive companies, we may soon or later

and don't want to say they stop others from existing but this kind a feels that way :?

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

On the subject of WJ carry on policy, I couldn't believe the gong show with the bins on their 767's last year when I traveled to the UK. The carry on sizing device is for the 737 bins, which are far larger than the old original bins in the 767's. I thought for sure the pax and FA was going to break the bin trying to cram her bag in there. :roll: The bags policy doesn't make sense to me because it encourages people to flaunt the carry on limits and holds up boarding.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Fine and fair enough, plenty of arguments on necessity for baggage charges vs low fares vs profitability. This takes it to a new level if Canadian pax departing Canada for destinations outside of US aka Mexico, Caribbean etc not setting foot in US of A but being charged via US currency and said airline pocketing the difference. I hope there is serious repercussions from this activity no matter the airline- this is a new low. Good on the travellers who saw this and better still, bravo to CBC for making this public. This fuckery needs to be called out.

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

WJ has been on a steady spiral down for a while.

Egotistical & out of touch managers who expect too much from their employees without suitably compensating them.

Their social media used to be all roses and butterflies but now you read the content and all you see is complaints.

You know it is bad when CBC is ripping into WJ. They were the biggest anti AC propoganda machine out there.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Now all the members of the public that hate on AC are realizing that all airlines suck equally :lol:

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Old fella wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:24 pm Fine and fair enough, plenty of arguments on necessity for baggage charges vs low fares vs profitability. This takes it to a new level if Canadian pax departing Canada for destinations outside of US aka Mexico, Caribbean etc not setting foot in US of A but being charged via US currency and said airline pocketing the difference. I hope there is serious repercussions from this activity no matter the airline- this is a new low. Good on the travellers who saw this and better still, bravo to CBC for making this public. This fuckery needs to be called out.
It is ridiculous. But to be fair, a lot of European airlines do the same for excess/extra baggage. Weird though.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

It's interesting as well since the carry on allowed on WS is now 45' linear, in line with the rest of the world. Our crew bags are 49" and fit in all but the -600 overhead bins on the NB fleet as far as I can tell as long as all the external pockets are empty.

Don't you guys find it tough to be sympathetic? They didn't read the fine print, and now they're entitled...I mean angry.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

co-joe wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:56 pm Don't you guys find it tough to be sympathetic? They didn't read the fine print, and now they're entitled...I mean angry.
The point is not that they have to pay. The point is that they have to pay in CAD one way, and then the same number in USD converted to CAD the other way, for tickets originating and paid for in Canada on a Canadian airline.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Fair. I'd probably try to pay in Pesos.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

co-joe wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 am Fair. I'd probably try to pay in Pesos.
So about the same as CAD...

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”