Air Tindi Flight Missing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

flybyyou
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Air Tindi Flight Missing

Post by flybyyou »

Or fatigue could be that they were On minimum rest with few days of 14h+ duty in the body. Will see. Rest In Peace to the crew.
---------- ADS -----------

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

The strange thing is that within the same 2 day span, a King Air 200 went down in Alaska. So perhaps something to do with the Aircraft type?
https://www.ktva.com/story/39874254/coa ... -near-kake

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Longtimer wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:28 am The strange thing is that within the same 2 day span, a King Air 200 went down in Alaska. So perhaps something to do with the Aircraft type?
I doubt it, its not like its a new type or anything.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
spruceair
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by spruceair »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:12 pm
Longtimer wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:28 am The strange thing is that within the same 2 day span, a King Air 200 went down in Alaska. So perhaps something to do with the Aircraft type?
I doubt it, its not like its a new type or anything.
+1. Most likely a coincidence if anything.

My thoughts and condolences to the families and the fellow coworkers and Air Tindi.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Were these guys shooting an approach? Were they enroute? Very few details. This company had a fatal C208 accident not all that long ago. No red flags here.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
peakbagger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by peakbagger »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:45 pm Were these guys shooting an approach? Were they enroute? Very few details. This company had a fatal C208 accident not all that long ago. No red flags here.
Illya
Frig off Illya

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Well Peakbagger, that’s about the depth of a reply I’ve come to expect. Care to field the question? Or is “frig off” pretty much it for a deep thinker like yourself.
Illya

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: ↑Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:45 pm
Were these guys shooting an approach? Were they enroute? Very few details. This company had a fatal C208 accident not all that long ago. No red flags here.
Illya
His question was rational.

Frig off Illya
But this is not.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Two pilots died, two people who had friends and family and your question was framed with an accusation of “red flags”
If I knew these pilots, my response to you likely would’ve been the same.
With absolutely no idea how this happened, a deep thinker like yourself should realize an insinuation like that would provoke such a response, no?

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I'm sad to hear of this, and having flown the 200 a lot I feel it's natural to have questions. To the Tindi family I'm sorry for your loss.

The flight was CYZF to CEM3, 87 nm. That's a pretty short leg to do an IFR departure and set up for an RNAV GPS IAP, assuming that's what they did. That's what a 0.3 air time, hardly worth bringing the gear up. Looking at the location on Marian Lake, (from the CBC article) I'm curious what they were doing north of track. The flight is basically a straight in for runway 28 via OVDOM. If they departed off 34, and then headed north BPOC then direct for IMIVO, that could explain them being roughly 8 nm north of the direct track.

Lots of assumptions on my part, but it's what I'd have been doing if I were on that flight. Ball parking that spot from the CBC article, they were about 20 nm from IF IMEVO, so likely were still doing 250 Kts, probably just powering back and thinking about drag for the approach. The 100 nm safe is 3900, cold temp corrected to about 4300' (-20 ish), but realistically the 100 nm safe is higher because of the 11 800 AMA for rocks to the west of there, so knowing the local terrain like these guys surely did it's not crazy to think they'd be down to the 25 safe 5 miles early which is 2400' corrected to 2610'.

I don't see anything telling here. Unless they went VFR, in which case I'm not knowledgeable of local customs. What was the wx doing other than -23 and windy? It was daylight by then I think.

Last edited by co-joe on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Risky question here. What was the experience level of the pilots? Give or take.
Illya

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

You'd be quite the cowboy taking a king air 200 into snowy Whati's short strip for RWY28 with a brisk east wind.
Likely north of track due to setting up for RWY10.
Hard to believe you fly a 200 and survive being a cowboy like you are.

co-joe wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:20 pm I'm curious what they were doing north of track. The flight is basically a straight in for runway 28 via OVDOM.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The investigators are struggling through 4 ft deep snow in -35*C. Lets give it a few more days and see what the professional investigators have to say. Internet speculators have no credibility and are not helpful.

I want to know what happened as much as anybody, but we have near zero information to figure out the answers.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:45 pm You'd be quite the cowboy taking a king air 200 into snowy Whati's short strip for RWY28 with a brisk east wind.
Likely north of track due to setting up for RWY10.
Hard to believe you fly a 200 and survive being a cowboy like you are.
Aren't you the guy who thought that 747 should have flown VFR at 1000' from Chicago to Halifax?

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

im guessing you'll be having a time out soon.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I didn't connect any dots, or suggest any wrongdoing by the crew and I certainly didn't say I'd take a big tailwind into there. I'm just looking to paint the picture of what a normal flight from yzf to em3 would be like.

Is this Metar representative of the wx they would have faced? I got it from here: https://www.ogimet.com/display_metars2. ... &send=send

METAR CYZF 301600Z 09015KT 1SM R34/P6000FT/N -SN DRSN OVC016 M22/M25 A2976 RMK SC8 SLP111=

So Direct GOXAM for the RNAV (GNSS) RWY 10 would likely be what they would have been doing?

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

They have the CVR I assume?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

'97 Tercel wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:59 am They have the CVR I assume?
Does a BE20 even need a CVR? If they commit to a low enough pax count there shouldn't be a requirement for one.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Any 200's I've ever flown were always equipped with CVR's.

Keep the dirty side down.
Icamefromspace
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Icamefromspace »

co-joe wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:20 pm I'm sad to hear of this, and having flown the 200 a lot I feel it's natural to have questions. To the Tindi family I'm sorry for your loss.

The flight was CYZF to CEM3, 87 nm. That's a pretty short leg to do an IFR departure and set up for an RNAV GPS IAP, assuming that's what they did. That's what a 0.3 air time, hardly worth bringing the gear up. Looking at the location on Marian Lake, (from the CBC article) I'm curious what they were doing north of track. The flight is basically a straight in for runway 28 via OVDOM. If they departed off 34, and then headed north BPOC then direct for IMIVO, that could explain them being roughly 8 nm north of the direct track.

Lots of assumptions on my part, but it's what I'd have been doing if I were on that flight. Ball parking that spot from the CBC article, they were about 20 nm from IF IMEVO, so likely were still doing 250 Kts, probably just powering back and thinking about drag for the approach. The 100 nm safe is 3900, cold temp corrected to about 4300' (-20 ish), but realistically the 100 nm safe is higher because of the 11 800 AMA for rocks 180 nm west of there, so knowing the local terrain like these guys surely did it's not crazy to think they'd be down to the 25 safe 5 miles early which is 2400' corrected to 2610'.

I don't see anything telling here. Unless they went VFR, in which case I'm not knowledgeable of local customs. What was the wx doing other than -23 and windy? It was daylight by then I think.
Why would they descend down to 2400' 25nm back, let alone 5 miles before that? That's way below any sort of reasonable profile.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”