North Wright Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: North Wright Air

Post by Brown Bear »

leftoftrack.......you seem to be missing the point of the thread....250$ a month for FOUR years PLUS fifteen THOUSAND $$$ for a PPC. You DID read that part, no?
:bear: :bear:
---------- ADS -----------

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Nope I got your point. Forced savings no expenses after your first year your well paid, given the opportunity to fly quality equipment and you wanna bitch about a bond that you don't have to sign. All going up there with no experience and having almost nothing to offer the company. Sounds like a horrible place to start a career.

But as someone who has never operated at or even near the company I'm sure you have way more insight into the company than I would.

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

leftoftrack wrote:
But as someone who has never operated at or even near the company I'm sure you have way more insight into the company than I would.
Never operated AT the company, but I've had dealings with them. I know more than you'd imagine. Enjoy your four years of self induced, indentured servitude. Freedom, is being able to pack your bags when YOU want. THINKABOUTIT.

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Brown Bear wrote:
leftoftrack wrote:
Never operated AT the company, but I've had dealings with them. I know more than you'd imagine. Enjoy your four years of self induced, indentured servitude. Freedom, is being able to pack your bags when YOU want. THINKABOUTIT.
I've done my time with them thank you. I left reluctantly and still miss it. While I'm sure your dealings with them were deep and meaningful I also have a feeling you may be talking out your ass.

As far as freedom. It's a $50 ticket to YEG with 5T and if you decide to quit they are more than happy to supply you a ride to a place with roads.

Thank you for you opinion Brown Bear but I can no longer argue with the internet cause I doubt I'll ever win.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I met Warren when I was six years old. He was incredibly friendly and nice to me..I think he even gave me a juice box and a candy bar, however I did watch as he then berated one of his pilots/ramp guys uttering every curse word I'd ever known and plenty new ones at that point. I still remember that to this day. I think I then asked my dad what a 'cocksucker' was. While I do have respect for him for what he's done, he is certainly stuck in the past.

In this day and age, if that happened ANYWHERE outside of say, a rig in northern alberta, you would have the labour board(and probably the workers board, especially here in Bring Cash) up your behind and a lawsuit on your hand. Thats Verbal abuse and Bullying. I don't give two fly farkases whether or not you think it's acceptable to curse vehemently at someone, regardless of how much they have screwed up. Which, in most cases, the screw up was a result of the employers actions or lack thereof. Its Wrong and not legal. Moving along...

Sure there are some that believe NW is a good start in aviation for a 200hr newb. I wouldn't say that.. I'd say it's a marginal start at best. Marginal pay, you have to live in the ATCO palace in the wells, they keep a chunk of your pay check and you freeze your nards or lady bits off humping bags and cleaning puke out of crowd killers for a year while being yelled at. Then you get to sign a year bond to sit in the right seat, or maybe you were lucky enough to end up in the 2 slow 7.. or 6 and again be yelled at. Sure, FOUR years later you have 3k in the book and can bugger off with the money of yours they've kept.. but at that four year mark, the kid that worked for perimeter, made more, wasn't yelled at and lived in a community with a road into or out of it has also put on close to 3k and is applying for the exact jobs you are. Better hope the hiring person doesn't know too much about NW. Same with the kid that started instructing.. Although Im sure they would have gone somewhere in the right seat with 1k and been flying operationally.. Maybe they would even beat you to that 705 interview.

My Point is this, I agree with BB to some extent. The old school BS way is just that, old and a derelict. Lets move forward and that can only be done if people stop selling themselves short. There are much better options. Make that known to operators. there should be an INCENTIVE to working in the wells. Yes, you need to find a way to retain employees. Perhaps it's not done with shit treatment, marginal wages and a crippling bond. Pretty sure the folk flying in that area (simpson and wolverine and borek) keep employees longer..

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Nice to know that someone else who has not worked there doesn't think it's a good place to work

Ramp being 2 years at perimeter I don't think the knob would be at 3000

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Rowdy, although I agree with most of what you have said there one thing I disagree with. I see nothing wrong with a good old fashioned a$$ chewing (Behind closed doors) not in front of fellow employees and especially not in front of customers. If the F bomb and a few other slang words get dropped well in my opinion that’s just life. The biggest problem with young people today is very few of them want to take responsibility for things they do. Everyone wants to hide behind associations, labor boards and human rights. Maybe what Warren needs to do is give people that screw up a time out. The time outs are really working in today society of bullying and crime.

I think what truly amazes me is people on this site have the attitude they cannot quit. Even worse some seem to think when they spend the money they did they are owed a job. If you don’t like the way things are run then move on. If you are dumb enough to not do your research before you MOVE and sign a BOND then I have no sympathy for you. It’s not like these companies lure you in then start treating you bad. Tigers don’t change their stripes. When it comes to bonds it is not just because there are some less then reputable employers.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

godsrcrazy wrote:Rowdy, although I agree with most of what you have said there one thing I disagree with.
I think we actually agree completely then. YES, everyone needs to be held accountable. Especially when stupid/lazy/ridiculous things are done, so long as it's not in front of customers etc. However, berating a rampy verbally in front of everyone because you feel like it isn't one of those cases.

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

I've never so much as met anyone from NW but I'm mystified by what is being posted. Has nobody ever straightened this guy out? I like to think that I'm a reasonable individual but talking to me that way will get you an appointment out behind the hangar. Doing it in front of co-workers or customers will get you dealt with immediately.

That's one of the problems of paying people nothing; they have nothing to lose. If somebody clobbered this guy and packed his gear, there would probably be a line-up of people dying to hire them.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
effdubdub
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by effdubdub »

One of the benefits of paying people nothing is that they'll think twice about leaving because of the ~$1200 one way plane ticket.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

No passes on 5t anymore. Cause that costs $50

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

leftoftrack wrote:As for the owner calling you a name when he's mad, you can always stay home with you mom and dad. They won't call you mean names when you do stupid shit.
I don't. Mind people cussing me, as long as they expect it in return. Parking lot/behind the hangar play can be liberating as well, just cheat right out of the gates.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

rigpiggy wrote:
leftoftrack wrote:As for the owner calling you a name when he's mad, you can always stay home with you mom and dad. They won't call you mean names when you do stupid shit.
I don't. Mind people cussing me, as long as they expect it in return. Parking lot/behind the hangar play can be liberating as well, just cheat right out of the gates.
Have you beat up a lot of your employers? How has that worked out for you to now?

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

leftoftrack wrote:Nice to know that someone else who has not worked there doesn't think it's a good place to work

Its closer to a year these days if you have your studying done.

Theres no bond, and I dont know too many places where a 500hr turboprop FO has the opportunity to make over 40k within your first year of flying.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

ogc wrote:
leftoftrack wrote:Nice to know that someone else who has not worked there doesn't think it's a good place to work

Its closer to a year these days if you have your studying done.

Theres no bond, and I dont know too many places where a 500hr turboprop FO has the opportunity to make over 40k within your first year of flying.
Don't know much about entry level jobs these days. The wait was closer to 2.5 years at perimeter when I went north. NWA was the only place that I knew in western Canada that got you flying within 6 months. It was interesting flying I had no expenses other than food and loans. I made good money had a good time. That's my experience others have different experiences. FWIW I'd recommend it

effdubdub
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by effdubdub »

The reason the wait time is so short is because at least one person quits every month. Literally.

RRS7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RRS7 »

Anybody have any current information on these guys? Thanks so much in advance!

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

if they are paying you back your own pay, IT'S NOT A BONUS

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

I know a guy who works there, here's what he said to me recently (copied and paste):

Wait time for a right seat on twin or 1900 is between 9 months and 1 year. You might get to fly the 206/207 in the mean time.

Accomodation is provided and is actually nice (11 room camp)

The work is pretty easy, but it might be long hours. Nothing happens in the winter because of the opened winter road and the lack of canoes/hunters to fly.

You're being paid minimum salary (13$/hour), but keep in mind you have no rent to pay.

Bonds:

1900: 1 year, 20k
DHC6: 1 year, 15k
207: 1 year, 3k

That 250$ thing we had to pay back in the days is not applicable anymore, which is a good thing.

Things have changed a lot since Travis took over the company from Warren.

Don't expect to fly 1000 hours every year, I'd say 1st year, you'll get 200, next year 700...

Twin Otter operation is very different from 1900. Twin is very summer intensive, expect to duty out your 703 during the 4 months season. 1900 is more regular, but is super repetitive (always the same two routes, same 6 airports).

Let me know if you want more info, I will try to get it for you.

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
Laguardia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laguardia »

Last edited by Laguardia on Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Employment Forum”