Regional airline loses 1.5-million passenger contract with Air Canada, but firms deny safety concerns a factor

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Regional airline loses 1.5-million passenger contract with Air Canada, but firms deny safety concerns a factor

Post by golden hawk »

---------- ADS -----------

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Regional airline loses 1.5-million passenger contract with Air Canada, but firms deny safety concerns a factor

Post by Outlaw58 »

An internal Georgian memo posted on the Avcanada.ca website indicates that flight attendants, mechanics and other employees will also be able to move to either Jazz, Air Canada or Air Canada Rouge.

One poster on an Avcanada forum said Georgian employees, earning some of the lowest wages in the industry, had ironically “won the lottery,” even as their company lost its primary source of business.
Congrats Avcanada posters, you are quoted in the National post!!!

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Regional airline loses 1.5-million passenger contract with Air Canada, but firms deny safety concerns a factor

Post by DanWEC »

The company said it does not expect the loss of this single contract to negatively impact its long-term business growth. “We are very well positioned in the marketplace, with a 25 year track record of superior safety, operational, and financial performance.”
I have no words for any of this.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Why aren't any of you commenting on this article on the National Post website?

I figured you guys would be letting it rip. All there is is some dude trying to pump up his Chorus stock... Weak!

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Where can someone get a copy of this self-published book they're talking about? I'd like to give that a read.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

DanWEC wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:32 pm
The company said it does not expect the loss of this single contract to negatively impact its long-term business growth. “We are very well positioned in the marketplace, with a 25 year track record of superior safety, operational, and financial performance.”
I have no words for any of this.
Also no words, are they crazy or dumb?
How are they possibly in a good position? Not that the RJ’s are gone, along with the YYZ 1900’s and soon YYC 1900’s will they even have any aircraft? Do they own the 1900’s and even if they do, one would guess they’re so beat/poorly maintained they’re probably worthless.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I wonder if they’re shopping around their expertise to some of the big travel agencies?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Reminds me of Baghdad Bob. :mrgreen:

Let’s Go Brandon
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

So the GGN pilots form a union, and in response big red dumps GGN? Hate on GGN all you want (I'm there with you), but this feel like a loss for organized labour in aviation to me.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

co-joe wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:16 am So the GGN pilots form a union, and in response big red dumps GGN? Hate on GGN all you want (I'm there with you), but this feel like a loss for organized labour in aviation to me.
I don't know if that was a factor in the decision by AC to pull the flying. I would think not though with the flying being repatriated to Jazz, which is a longstanding unionized carrier with a mature contract and better working conditions than GGN could have hoped to get in their first contract.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

co-joe wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:16 am So the GGN pilots form a union, and in response big red dumps GGN? Hate on GGN all you want (I'm there with you), but this feel like a loss for organized labour in aviation to me.
:smt017

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

and gives the contract to a company that has been organized for basically its entirety? i doubt that's why.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I think this is everything to do with poor performance on the contract.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Cessna 180 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 pm
and gives the contract to a company that has been organized for basically its entirety? i doubt that's why.
They had to give it somebody. It was going to be Jazz, or Sky. Must just be a coincidence then.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

So GGN is finished?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

The company is still in business for now, but before long they won't have any business as all the CPA flying has been terminated. Maybe they will have a plane or 2 for charters or cargo but that will likely be it. The 1900s are old and the RJ-100s are due for the smelter. The ads are still up I'm assuming because they are short staffed and no one would want to go there now to get a pink slip in a few months.

Let’s Go Brandon
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Well, I am optimistic about this. Maybe we can soon read a thread without a GGN on every post.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Told Card Writer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Told Card Writer »

The best news is the pilots will be able to move over to Jazz rather then unemployment. I wish them all the best in the transition.

As for GGN this was a long time coming. The company deserves it, nothing more needs to be said.

jt8d
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jt8d »

Gosh finally! No more stupid massive red ads on avcanada soon enough...who the heck would de-value themselves so much so as a pilot to take those crap RJ wages anyway.. especially those taking the DEC spot.. just pathetic.. i understand everyone has different circumstances but come on.. quit aviation before you stoop that low.. you're worth more than that people! and shame on you avcanada for perpetuating these BS ads... mega sell out you could say...

ps.. you should really consider updating your website.. make a true general thread section that links to any recent posts... so your customers (yeah i'm a customer because you make money off me looking at stupid red ads) can have easy access the threads that have new posts.. no need to jump around section to section to stay informed on the latest and greatest posts.. you are in fact in the thread business.. so get with the times avcanada.. i should not have to check the flair.. check AC check..etc.. to see if new posts have been made.. keep them seperate sure but also have a NEW POSTS section that consolidates all the most active threads in one section.. that is all.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

jt8d wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:45 pm

ps.. you should really consider updating your website.. make a true general thread section that links to any recent posts... so your customers (yeah i'm a customer because you make money off me looking at stupid red ads) can have easy access the threads that have new posts.. no need to jump around section to section to stay informed on the latest and greatest posts.. you are in fact in the thread business.. so get with the times avcanada.. i should not have to check the flair.. check AC check..etc.. to see if new posts have been made.. keep them seperate sure but also have a NEW POSTS section that consolidates all the most active threads in one section.. that is all.

They hid the link under "Quick links"
search.php?search_id=active_topics

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “General Comments”