North Wright Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: North Wright Air

Post by Hilroy »

You need to go live up north in the middle of nowhere, making minimum wage for almost a year until you are allowed to fly a plane. Then, you need to sign a 20K Bond for minimum one year, of which in your first year of flying you only get 200 hours anyways. I bet the FO pay isn't much more then minimum wage either...
Sorry if I wasn't clear... The 200 hours is your first year (including your ramp time) and you get more flying time when you actually have a PPC.

Usually the FO spend 1.5/2 years at the company.
---------- ADS -----------

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
Laguardia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laguardia »

Last edited by Laguardia on Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

I’ve heard Northwright is a VERY good place to get started. Most outfits have a much longer wait on the ramp, and the opportunity to fly the 206/207 and get PIC time is gold. Get in there before they run out or AVGAS.

Plus in my opinion, places like Medicine Hat, Moosonee, Yellowknife, Sioux Lookout, Norman Wells, and Inuvik all pretty much suck equally. They all get cold AF in the winter and the only thing to do is watch movies and get drunk. In the summer you can also fish and get drunk and mob around on an ATV.

jt8d
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jt8d »

To sum it up for Laguardia... don't quit your day job mate... you clearly don't have the passion to fly for a living.. good thing you make what.. 70k per year? Ohh sounds like you are set for life..

good things come to those who wait... you don't seem to have the long term outlook dude... pilot life can be gravy... if you put in your time.. it's fun.. how fun is your office gig lmao!

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Laguardia wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm I get paid 1.5 times what a jazz guy makes at my office job working 9 to 5...
Sweeeet. How's the view from your cubicle?
Laguardia wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm who wants to spend 3-6 years of their life making essentially 20-40k a year? I wonder why there's this so called "shortage"...
Who wants to spend 1 day of their life as a 9-5 office drone? I can't imagine a more soul-sucking existence.

The jobs where I made $30-70k a year were the best jobs I ever had and the best times of my life. I can imagine flying a twin otter in the Mackenzie Mountains would be similarly exhilarating.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

mixturerich wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:34 pm I’ve heard Northwright is a VERY good place to get started. Most outfits have a much longer wait on the ramp, and the opportunity to fly the 206/207 and get PIC time is gold. Get in there before they run out or AVGAS.

Plus in my opinion, places like Medicine Hat, Moosonee, Yellowknife, Sioux Lookout, Norman Wells, and Inuvik all pretty much suck equally. They all get cold AF in the winter and the only thing to do is watch movies and get drunk. In the summer you can also fish and get drunk and mob around on an ATV.
I’ve heard North-Wright called a lot of different things, a good place never ever ever ever being one of them. You should have said things like “terrible pay, slave labour, asshole management, shotty maintenance, old worn out airplanes (1900’s excluded)”, the list goes on and on.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 am
mixturerich wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:34 pm I’ve heard Northwright is a VERY good place to get started. Most outfits have a much longer wait on the ramp, and the opportunity to fly the 206/207 and get PIC time is gold. Get in there before they run out or AVGAS.

I’ve heard North-Wright called a lot of different things, a good place never ever ever ever being one of them. You should have said things like “terrible pay, slave labour, asshole management, shotty maintenance, old worn out airplanes (1900’s excluded)”, the list goes on and on.
You might be able to say that about a lot of small operators unfortunately, but you are incorrect or exaggerating about most of those items. All starting pay sucks in this industry. That being said, they do offer overtime as far as I am aware. Old worn out airplanes? Again that is every small operator. Shotty maintenance? Insulting to the dedicated crew of people of maintenance people up there.

I know a very large number of people that are doing extremely well in their careers now, that started at Northwright, meanwhile skipping ahead of those who chose to work for different companies in bigger towns, only to end up working the ramp for 2-3 years and never getting any PIC time.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

mixturerich wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 am

You might be able to say that about a lot of small operators unfortunately, but you are incorrect or exaggerating about most of those items. All starting pay sucks in this industry. That being said, they do offer overtime as far as I am aware. Old worn out airplanes? Again that is every small operator. Shotty maintenance? Insulting to the dedicated crew of people of maintenance people up there.

I know a very large number of people that are doing extremely well in their careers now, that started at Northwright, meanwhile skipping ahead of those who chose to work for different companies in bigger towns, only to end up working the ramp for 2-3 years and never getting any PIC time.
When did you work there? Recently or..?

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:02 am

Mixturerich, I was just wondering if you working there during the almost 4 years I spent there or maybe not at all???

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:30 pm

Mixturerich, I was just wondering if you working there during the almost 4 years I spent there or maybe not at all???
You’re missing my point. I’m saying it’s pretty similar conditions to any small operator but the progression is actually faster in terms of doing your time on the ground.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

mixturerich wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:03 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:30 pm

You’re missing my point. I’m saying it’s pretty similar conditions to any small operator but the progression is actually faster in terms of doing your time on the ground.
No I think you’re missing the point. For the reasons I stated, it wouldn’t matter if it was a direct entry 200 hour flying job it’s still a terrible place to work. You then went on the say my reasons weren’t fact when I lived it. So I was wondering what you’re first hand experience there would disapprove my first hand knowledge.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

If it was soooo bad then why’d you stay there for 4 years??

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

mixturerich wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 pm If it was soooo bad then why’d you stay there for 4 years??
Well for one they used to have a different type of bond. They used to deduct from every paycheque and put the amount (10,500$) into trust. You had to stay that long to get your money back, if you stayed 1 day less they kept it all. But you’re on here spewing info about a company so I assume you knew that?

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:21 am [Well for one they used to have a different type of bond. They used to deduct from every paycheque and put the amount (10,500$) into trust. You had to stay that long to get your money back, if you stayed 1 day less they kept it all. But you’re on here spewing info about a company so I assume you knew that?
This 250$ / month is not a thing anymore. It has been replaced by bonding each individual aircraft, as listed above...

Master of Cessna 172
oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

From former Rotational 1900 capt. Now he flyn Boeing 737 ng.
"3 week in 3 out air fare. Ticket paid yeg accommodation provided.
Salary 8k month. Bond 20k prorated over 12 months.. unless have current ppc n type endorsement.

Average month flying 65-80 hours capt help f/o load n unload freight

hoewad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hoewad »

Hilroy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 pm I know a guy who works there, here's what he said to me recently (copied and paste):

Wait time for a right seat on twin or 1900 is between 9 months and 1 year. You might get to fly the 206/207 in the mean time.

Accomodation is provided and is actually nice (11 room camp)

The work is pretty easy, but it might be long hours. Nothing happens in the winter because of the opened winter road and the lack of canoes/hunters to fly.

You're being paid minimum salary (13$/hour), but keep in mind you have no rent to pay.

Bonds:

1900: 1 year, 20k
DHC6: 1 year, 15k
207: 1 year, 3k

That 250$ thing we had to pay back in the days is not applicable anymore, which is a good thing.

Things have changed a lot since Travis took over the company from Warren.

Don't expect to fly 1000 hours every year, I'd say 1st year, you'll get 200, next year 700...

Twin Otter operation is very different from 1900. Twin is very summer intensive, expect to duty out your 703 during the 4 months season. 1900 is more regular, but is super repetitive (always the same two routes, same 6 airports).

Let me know if you want more info, I will try to get it for you.
hey hilroy any idea what your friend is flying now and what the pay is like? also are all shifts rotational?

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

hoewad wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:35 am
Hilroy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 pm
You're being paid minimum salary (13$/hour), but keep in mind you have no rent to pay.
hey hilroy any idea what your friend is flying now and what the pay is like? also are all shifts rotational?
He left about a year ago and now flies at a regional. The pay is as quoted above for ramp guys, and you get a small bump + mileage once you start flying.

He was making more money than me while I was instructing (if you include the rent + expenses), plus I had to pay for my CFI training.

Master of Cessna 172
TwotterBerries
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TwotterBerries »

Laguardia wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm
Hilroy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 pm I know a guy who works there, here's what he said to me recently (copied and paste):

Wait time for a right seat on twin or 1900 is between 9 months and 1 year. You might get to fly the 206/207 in the mean time.

Accomodation is provided and is actually nice (11 room camp)

The work is pretty easy, but it might be long hours. Nothing happens in the winter because of the opened winter road and the lack of canoes/hunters to fly.

Bonds:

1900: 1 year, 20k
DHC6: 1 year, 15k
207: 1 year, 3k

That 250$ thing we had to pay back in the days is not applicable anymore, which is a good thing.

Things have changed a lot since Travis took over the company from Warren.

Don't expect to fly 1000 hours every year, I'd say 1st year, you'll get 200, next year 700...

Twin Otter operation is very different from 1900. Twin is very summer intensive, expect to duty out your 703 during the 4 months season. 1900 is more regular, but is super repetitive (always the same two routes, same 6 airports).

Let me know if you want more info, I will try to get it for you.
So to sum it up

You need to go live up north in the middle of nowhere, making minimum wage for almost a year until you are allowed to fly a plane. Then, you need to sign a 20K Bond for minimum one year, of which in your first year of flying you only get 200 hours anyways. I bet the FO pay isn't much more then minimum wage either...

So it looks like at least 3 years until you can even get a chance to apply at jazz or porter, making absolutely crap money to only then make 40k a year... and I get paid 1.5 times what a jazz guy makes at my office job working 9 to 5...

who wants to spend 3-6 years of their life making essentially 20-40k a year? I wonder why there's this so called "shortage"...
Wow...you are going to be a real joy to fly with. Entitled? Can't wait for you to jump into a cockpit with minimum experience thinking the world owes you everything. Maybe some time up north for guys would be a good thing. Learn some work ethic and maybe how to hand fly before they get to the world of automation. Just some words of wisdom. It may not be the best paying gig. But at least you would have something to talk about for the next 30 years of your career then bore your cpt to death explaining how you almost survived an ILS. You can tell the difference between guys who never did bush fly and those who did. Take that for whats its worth.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

TwotterBerries, I'm more concerned that you think that pay and those bonds are acceptable. Everybody should strive to work hard, fly safe, get along with their co-workers. They should also strive to improve their pay and working conditions. Not only for themselves, but for everybody.

At the regional level, Jazz starting pay is crap because georgian pay is crap, and so is Encore pay, etc. If one company had significant gains, guess who would scoop up all the pilots, then everybody else would have to increase their pay to remain competitive. Belittling Laguardia because they're pointing out crap conditions doesn't make them entitled.
Laguardia wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm who wants to spend 3-6 years of their life making essentially 20-40k a year? I wonder why there's this so called "shortage"...
Bingo! Kids in high school are realising there's better careers, and don't even become pilots. Nobody wants to make 36 grand and live out of a suitcase. Especially if I can make 50 grand and be home.

Places in the north can offer decent lifestyles and some make careers out of it. However, if a company is not going to treat pilots properly, they'll just be a revolving door "training academy" for everybody else.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

goingnowherefast wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:00 am TwotterBerries, I'm more concerned that you think that pay and those bonds are acceptable. Everybody should strive to work hard, fly safe, get along with their co-workers. They should also strive to improve their pay and working conditions. Not only for themselves, but for everybody.

At the regional level, Jazz starting pay is crap because georgian pay is crap, and so is Encore pay, etc. If one company had significant gains, guess who would scoop up all the pilots, then everybody else would have to increase their pay to remain competitive. Belittling Laguardia because they're pointing out crap conditions doesn't make them entitled.
Bingo! Kids in high school are realising there's better careers, and don't even become pilots. Nobody wants to make 36 grand and live out of a suitcase. Especially if I can make 50 grand and be home.

Places in the north can offer decent lifestyles and some make careers out of it. However, if a company is not going to treat pilots properly, they'll just be a revolving door "training academy" for everybody else.
But the pay and bonds are similar across the board. What are newly minted pilots to do? Probably safe to assume that most want to go airlines. In the grand scheme of things, it’s just a few years of grinding before things quickly really start to brighten up, especially with how things are moving right now. So people will accept the low pay and bonds more than ever.

You can go from getting licensed to $70k 705 captain in a few years now. Currently, that’s the reality. Economically, this industry is always a gamble, but it can often pay off.

Return to “Employment Forum”