Cinder Runway?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Cinder Runway?

Post by Spandau »

In some of the older books written by guys like Ernest K Gann, etc I've read the occasional reference to a "cinder" runway. Anybody know exactly what that would be? Concrete like, as in "cinder block", or more like a gravel runway, or...?
---------- ADS -----------

Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Cinder Runway?

Post by Hockaloogie »

Like gravel. Cinders were the remnants of coal combustion. When I was a kid there was a factory nearby that had a cinder parking lot. The stuff is like gravel.

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spandau »

Ok - that makes sense because I'd heard of cinder runways being graded periodically. Thanks for the help.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

A couple of mentions about it here.

Sounds like a hard surface but not sure...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Fvz ... ay&f=false

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Otherwise known as "clinker". Like Mr. hock a loogie said, it's the slag from coal. Enourmous quantities of it are produced by steel plants, power stations, etc. It's part ash and vitrified minerals. It's extremely hard and sharp, and packs down nicely the way mine-crush granite does. However, it's also very sharp and I imagine it would be murder on the tyres. The dust, I'm speculating, would be as nice for compressor blades as volcanic ash.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “General Comments”