Aviation Management diploma for pilots?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

SpeedhawkAirforce1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Aviation Management diploma for pilots?

Post by SpeedhawkAirforce1 »

Hi folks,

To begin, I did try to search both through google and through the forum search function so my sincerest apologies if this is a repost or the wrong subforum.

So here's my deal. I am a CPL student and currently looking down the barrel of the job market and feeling like a little fish in a big pond. Granted, the market is great but who knows for how long. Now, I have come to learn that my local university which is quite esteemed has an aviation management diploma program. It is a graduate level program which is done over a year part time. The cost as I understand it is around 5000$. Now, my current aspirations are to be a pilot, however I do see myself in a leadership role eventually perhaps as an operations manager or something like that later in my career. My question is would a diploma like that be worth it for someone who wants to be a pilot first and foremost? As for my background I have a bachelor of engineering and I am 28yo. The pro's as I see them would be having knowledge and training on the business/management of aviation and having education directly in the field. The cons are of course the money and the time. I would appreciate any input on whether or not this kind of diploma is well perceived in the field and whether it makes sense for someone like myself to pursue it.

Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Aviation Management diploma for pilots?

Post by Bede »

Your engineering degree counts for far more than any aviation degree. Don't worry about it get some hours in.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Exactly. If you want something that will add value, look into an MBA or MSc. Some of the aviation ones are quite cheap compared to the real ones.

https://www.city.ac.uk/subjects/aviation

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

I have some friends that did the aviation business diploma thing. I didn't. We're both in pretty much the same boat, and the general impression they gave me was that it was just ok.. except for an extra point on the resume. Their drive and work ethic did far more than their intro to accounting classes to get them going.

Mind you, they're not in it to help run a business in the future, they just want to fly airplanes. From what I've seen, the ones actually running the business rarely fly the airplanes themselves... so it's often one or the other. You can definitely be in a leadership role in the future just through your flying alone. As an instructor, it didn't take long at all before I started working in safety, quality control and supervisory roles... and I find myself turning down offers for more because I'm looking to slip away from the training side of aviation. Wherever I've worked, it seems if they want to keep you, they'll give you more responsibility and leadership roles.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
SpeedhawkAirforce1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SpeedhawkAirforce1 »

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The only reason that airline employers look for completed post secondary education (diploma, degree, post graduate degree) is to confirm aptitude and ability to learn. It also demonstrates commitment and focus.

Subject matter not really that important. The piece of paper is what matters.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Flying unlike most occupations offers a broad range of choice as to what kind of flying you will eventually choose to do.

Getting started in flying does not require any specified level of education beyond the ability to read and write therefore you can worry about what advanced education diplomas you will need after you find out what kind of flying you end up wanting to do.

I got into aviation with only grade eight education and as my career evolved I learned what was needed as the type of flying evolved, airline flying never appealed to me so formal education was never an issue.

For sure in the long haul flying for an airline can end up paying very good and has a very good retirement plan.

Conversely other kinds of flying can also pay quite well.

Return to “Flight Training”