WestJet is in trouble. Is becoming more like Air Canada the fix?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

WestJet is in trouble. Is becoming more like Air Canada the fix?

Post by Mr. North »

https://outline.com/BtWJvB

Accurate and concise article regarding WestJet's recent turmoil and the challenges it faces going forward.

TL/DR: WestJet is trying to do too much all at once.
---------- ADS -----------

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: WestJet is in trouble. Is becoming more like Air Canada the fix?

Post by moe »

Stop overanalyzing it. WJ still kicking buttocks. Tbaylx still a s**b and life is good. T4 is sooo high. Take home doesn’t matter cause i have a line of credit.

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

Didn't see the relationship to the title in the article. Glad to hear Ed is looking forward to the negotiations....

Good article except they put a positive spin on the swoop pilot moving over from WestJet using the word promotion. Wish they would have dug went deeper there.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

x-wind wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:50 am Didn't see the relationship to the title in the article. Glad to hear Ed is looking forward to the negotiations....

Good article except they put a positive spin on the swoop pilot moving over from WestJet using the word promotion. Wish they would have dug went deeper there.
I think when you have the CEO who led the unionization of Westjet keep saying, he doesn't understand why the employee group unionized, pretty much sums up the issues at play at Westjet, and just how out of touch management has become with its labour groups. And given some of the antics employed by Westjet over the incredibly liberal interpretation of days off at Swoop, it seems they are are still clearly out of touch. Westjet may be Canadian V2.0.... complete with a future bankruptcy.

Alpa Male
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alpa Male »

truedude wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:16 pm I think when you have the CEO who led the unionization of Westjet keep saying, he doesn't understand why the employee group unionized, pretty much sums up the issues at play at Westjet, and just how out of touch management has become with its labour groups. And given some of the antics employed by Westjet over the incredibly liberal interpretation of days off at Swoop, it seems they are are still clearly out of touch. Westjet may be Canadian V2.0.... complete with a future bankruptcy.
I'll be the first to admit that management has made some colossal errors in judgment, and at times pushed the employees a little too hard, but any future demise of this airline will not rest solely on the shoulders of management. It's our bed also...

A new way of thinking is required, or maybe an old way of thinking. A method of thinking that brought us so much success. A positive message needs to emerge, and people need to heed that message. Currently, the general attitude of our pilots is abysmal and self-destructive. We're undertaking the most significant expansion in our history, and if we're to survive this industry, we're all going to have to show some leadership and get on board in a positive and meaningful way. This airline has always been the underdog; now more than ever! Employee buy-in has always been the key to our success and without that, then yes, we will be "Canadian V2.0....complete with future bankruptcy", but it won't rest solely on management shoulders. It's time to move on from past mistakes and mismanagement. This airline will not survive another five years of this toxicity.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Alpa Male wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:36 pm
truedude wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:16 pm I think when you have the CEO who led the unionization of Westjet keep saying, he doesn't understand why the employee group unionized, pretty much sums up the issues at play at Westjet, and just how out of touch management has become with its labour groups. And given some of the antics employed by Westjet over the incredibly liberal interpretation of days off at Swoop, it seems they are are still clearly out of touch. Westjet may be Canadian V2.0.... complete with a future bankruptcy.
I'll be the first to admit that management has made some colossal errors in judgment, and at times pushed the employees a little too hard, but any future demise of this airline will not rest solely on the shoulders of management. It's our bed also...

A new way of thinking is required, or maybe an old way of thinking. A method of thinking that brought us so much success. A positive message needs to emerge, and people need to heed that message. Currently, the general attitude of our pilots is abysmal and self-destructive. We're undertaking the most significant expansion in our history, and if we're to survive this industry, we're all going to have to show some leadership and get on board in a positive and meaningful way. This airline has always been the underdog; now more than ever! Employee buy-in has always been the key to our success and without that, then yes, we will be "Canadian V2.0....complete with future bankruptcy", but it won't rest solely on management shoulders. It's time to move on from past mistakes and mismanagement. This airline will not survive another five years of this toxicity.
The type of leadership you are talking about comes from the top, not the bottom. First thing that needs to happen is that management needs to accept they are unionized, and start respecting the contracts that have been negotiated. Stop fighting them. Show the group you both care and respect them, and you will be well on your way. But that requires, management to make the first move. And whatever this nonsense is with "grey days" at Swoop would be a good start.

Alpa Male
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alpa Male »

You know what, I'm not familiar with this "grey day" issue and can't argue to the validity of your claim. I'm sure WJ is pressing hard on contractual language, but so does ALPA. It's part of our new relationship, but not something you should worry about, nor a hill you should die on - your dues are covering this.

The kind of leadership I'm talking about is leadership that influences others. This doesn't come from the top but comes from us all. So the question is, do you want to influence people negatively or positively?

Show up to work with the right attitude, trust and support those around you and pull in the same direction for a common goal. It's effortless and effective, but impossible to achieve while pointing a finger.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Sorry - I’m an outsider here - what, exactly, is a ‘grey day’ at Swoop?

Thanks!

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

IF WJ management came out and brought swoop under the WAWACON of the new mainline contract I bet they could regain buy in and “culture” pretty much overnight

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

“We assumed that because we had published an article internally on our intranet, they read it and understood it,” Saretsky says.

From the CEO of a billion dollar corporation? Maybe not a surprise he resigned suddenly.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

WestJet does not have leadership. WestJet has management.

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Edit

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!

Return to “WestJet”