Advice on route across Northern Canada in late July

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Advice on route across Northern Canada in late July

Post by KAG »

If you swing into inuvik go chat with the aklak pilots about any questions you may have on your route. I used to work there and would from time to time chat with pilots flying vfr to or from Alaska. One couple just had road maps as they were following the Dempster highway lol. We set them up with some outdated aviation maps.
Sounds like a fun trip!! Be safe
---------- ADS -----------

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

QDMQDMQDM wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:27 am Thanks, yes, smoke. Was a big problem last year.
If this year is like last, the fires in BC will put more of a damper on flying than the weather.

Choppermech1986
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Choppermech1986 »

There's lots of good advice on here, the bug spray in particular! If I were you, I'd stick with your gut and don't be afraid to go across the top of the world! If you need, you can always go the safer route down the Alaska Highway should the weather turn bad, but there's not a lot of adventure in that, you can do it in a Toyota Echo in two days! Remember that the Canadians use 126.7 as an air to air frequency and Edmonton Radio use it as a Broadcast frequency, handy to have if you're up nice and high. You might want to brush up on your RCO and DRCO procedures, there's a lot of emptiness up there and sometimes it's nice to have a direct line to Edmonton Radio.

Make sure you put up some photos of your trip!

DHC2eater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC2eater »

Just for clarification......how is your aircraft configured....??? Floats,wheels,amphibious......

Eater

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Keep a close eye on the NOTAMs for Dawson. The Yukon Government is planning to shut it down completely for over a week for paving sometime this summer. Should be done by late July, but you never know.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
747-875
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 747-875 »

Dawson City has customs and avgas. Nice little airport and a super neat area to visit as a tourist. Airport is about 18 km from town proper with no real regular transport though so you'll have to arrange for transport to town if needed, most hotels have a shuttle option if you are a registered guest, also husky bus does airport runs if you have enough people to make it worth their while. Airport is to be paved this summer but last I heard it was scheduled to be done in May as Holland America flights to Fairbanks start up the last week of may, and it's planned to be a 737-500 from the start this season, Air North has the contract and the last 737-200 was recently sold. If you need more info on Yukon stops let me know.

Return to “General Comments”