Ramp Wait Times

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Ramp Wait Times

Post by Speedalive »

I’ve received a couple job offers to start on the ramp and I’m just wondering what you think would be a reasonable wait time on the ramp these days. I’m hoping I can snag a flying job right off the bat, but if luck isn’t on my side, I want to at least make sure I’m not making a choice that will have me loading bags longer than average. Don’t get me wrong though - I don’t mind putting in hard work to prove myself. I feel like the best option would be to instruct since there seems to be a massive shortage, but unfortunately I don’t have the financial means to get myself the rating.
---------- ADS -----------

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Ramp Wait Times

Post by FighterPilot »

Should be no reason to take a ramp spot right now with how things are going. That being said if you have bills to pay and mouths to feed I wouldn’t except anything with a wait time of more than 3-4 months. Perimeter recently posted a job ad for low time pilots straight to the flight line when they typically work the ramp first. Not sure if they’ve actually completely exhausted their ramp pilots or what but... Been a while now so I wouldn’t even know what the wait times are like for other operators like Wasaya, Tindi, etc.

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Speedalive »

Thank you for the reply. That’s crazy. Everything I’ve been offered has been more than a year on the ramp with 2 year bonds once on a plane. Maybe I’ll have to be a bit more patient and see if any other opportunities open up.

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

Try the smaller operators. It blows my mind that companies up in Yellowknife are still expecting pilots to huck bags for 2 years before touching an aircraft. I know lots of survey operators are hiring right now, and I don't think you'd have to do ramp for that (minus managing your own aircraft). At my company it's a month TOPS before a fresh CPL is in the right seat. Usually it's 2 weeks. Just long enough to make sure they have a bit of a work ethic, and they can handle small town life before we shell out the cash to train. There's no bond either. I know you said cash is an issue, but is a float rating a possibility? I know lots of float operators around are hurting for guys this season.

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

Companies everywhere are screaming for pilots. There are so many stories of people taking ramp jobs just to have direct flight line guys sneak right ahead of them.

I was in the same situation as you, but stick with it and you will without a doubt find a comfy spot in the right seat sooner than later. It took me almost 6 months of searching and continuing to update my resume and make calls and send emails until I got offered a spot.

Some people view this as entitled but nowhere else in the world shares the same "right of passage" as Canada. Additionally, negotiate the 2 year bond down to a year with a renewable bond in a year should you choose to stay. Best of luck.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

flyingjerry wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:02 pm Companies everywhere are screaming for pilots. There are so many stories of people taking ramp jobs just to have direct flight line guys sneak right ahead of them.

I was in the same situation as you, but stick with it and you will without a doubt find a comfy spot in the right seat sooner than later. It took me almost 6 months of searching and continuing to update my resume and make calls and send emails until I got offered a spot.

Some people view this as entitled but nowhere else in the world shares the same "right of passage" as Canada. Additionally, negotiate the 2 year bond down to a year with a renewable bond in a year should you choose to stay. Best of luck.
I'm basically in the same situation as you and I actually got a interview coming up for an FO position... Hopefully all works out well, and if it does then I guess I'll be another example that you don't need to work the ramp as long as you are willing to wait to find that FO job, or just get lucky fast

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

twa22 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 pm
flyingjerry wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:02 pm Companies everywhere are screaming for pilots. There are so many stories of people taking ramp jobs just to have direct flight line guys sneak right ahead of them.

I'm basically in the same situation as you and I actually got a interview coming up for an FO position... Hopefully all works out well, and if it does then I guess I'll be another example that you don't need to work the ramp as long as you are willing to wait to find that FO job, or just get lucky fast
That's awesome. All the best for the interview.

Return to “Employment Forum”