Bid 2019

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Bid 2019

Post by 47north »

Bid is out. Some pretty junior Captains in there. Looks like upgrades under 12 months now.
---------- ADS -----------

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

47north wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:43 pm Bid is out. Some pretty junior Captains in there. Looks like upgrades under 12 months now.
On every bases or a specific one and specific equipment?

DH8Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DH8Pilot »

Absolutely insane bid! The most junior captain was hired January 2019 (DH8 YUL).

For those waiting in the pool/for a call back, I count 150+ vacancies post-GGN integration. You'll all be flying with us soon!

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

Wow!
I wasn't far from the numbers!
Guess we'll be in before September! :smt008

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Just saw the bid! Upgrade 4 months earlier than I expected....no complaints here!!!

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

I think it’s safe to say with those vacancies that every new hire for the next year or so will be on the Q in YVR!

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Babar350 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:01 pm
47north wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:43 pm Bid is out. Some pretty junior Captains in there. Looks like upgrades under 12 months now.
On every bases or a specific one and specific equipment?
YUL Dash and Q400. YYZ Dash 8 and YVR Q400 went junior too.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Question for any Ggn pilots. There seems to be a fair number of pilots from Ggn on the combined seniority list when the bid was posted that don't appear on the published results.

Did some pilots pull their names and elect to stay at Ggn or flow directly to AC?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

150 vacancies on this bid, I expect they will be running 20pilots per GS until Dec 2019. There might even be the possibility of two GS a month come summer. This again will all be predicated on the hiring AC does over the summer. If AC takes a break over the summer like they tend to, I'd expect only 1 GS a month. OTS hiring will remain high for every GS IMO. YVR Q400 has 70+ vacancies on its FO roster. Jan 2019 Captains means anyone with ATPL basically could hold a Captain position at Jazz in YUL or YYZ.

I expect the 2019-02 (Aug bid) to be a course correction after they see what the AC hiring cycle is like. I also noticed that the bid did not include the 8 new CA positions that were supposed to be added to YYC DH8 in Oct/Nov. So shows that they are really taking a look now at who has an application in at AC and who does not (ie lifers at Jazz like myself). So hopefully with the next few bids things will finally be shaken out and we can see some stability. Thankfully on this bid there were not many people who were "forcibly" reduced and had to move bases (YVR DH8 reduction but it seems everyone was able to move to the Q and RJ and there were still left over spots for new Captains to join the lists)

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

i noted 116 YVR DH4 captains awarded. The minimum is 84 and I believe they're holding a baseline of 100. Sounds like they expect quite a bit of attrition.

Supposed another 330 to go to AC this year..

I also noticed that they seem to have quite a few folk who have set their retirement dates training as well. I'm guessing the next bid (if they run one) will also see a lot of new captains.

maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maturepilot83 »

I'm starting a job up north next month. What are the chances of me getting hired OTS to Jazz within the next 6 months-12 months provided I pass the interview and sim eval? I'm sitting at over 1000 hours and close to getting my ATPL signed off. I expect 500 multi-turbine 2 crew experience to add to that as well.

I'd love a shot to fly the Dash classic out of YYZ...

B1900Driver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by B1900Driver »

maturepilot83 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 pm I'm starting a job up north next month. What are the chances of me getting hired OTS to Jazz within the next 6 months-12 months provided I pass the interview and sim eval? I'm sitting at over 1000 hours and close to getting my ATPL signed off. I expect 500 multi-turbine 2 crew experience to add to that as well.

Hey MaturePilot, Just to give you an idea,
I got the call for my interview in the last week of October. Now we are nearing the end of march and I have been in the hiring pool since Feb 1st. I'd be surprised if i get called for the May GS ( if there's one). So we are talking about a process that is 6 to 9 months long. My flight experience was similar to yours when I applied.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

maturepilot83 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 pm I'm starting a job up north next month. What are the chances of me getting hired OTS to Jazz within the next 6 months-12 months provided I pass the interview and sim eval? I'm sitting at over 1000 hours and close to getting my ATPL signed off. I expect 500 multi-turbine 2 crew experience to add to that as well.

WIth your experience and what you will have soon for time you should be a shoe in for Jazz. Apply and see what happens. Right now there are a lot of moving parts with the GGN pilots coming onboard. It will be a 3,6,9,12 month process. I don't know what magic the HR department does but it could be quick or extremely slow process. Good luck and I quite enjoy Jazz and have been here 3 years! The DH8 out of YYZ is fun, but out of YYC and (old YVR) base was way more fun! lol Good luck & if you have any questions feel free to PM

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Apparently the next three classes will be 20 each and then dropping back to 16 per class after that for a while.

There will definitely be new hire classes in April and May.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

April is already full according to HR. But it’s all magic,I heard someone got called early this week for April and he or she was in the pool for only couple of weeks, when others are in the pool since December.
All we can do is enjoy our job and wait.

Let’s see what happens for May and how many from the pool will be in those 20.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Looks to be 2 GS in April, 1 May, 1 June so far planned. Assuming at least 1 GS a month for the rest of the year.

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

KenoraPilot wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:34 pm Looks to be 2 GS in April, 1 May, 1 June so far planned. Assuming at least 1 GS a month for the rest of the year.
I have absolutely no way of confirming this but today I did hear through a friend of a friend that due to the MAX ordeal jazz is pausing air ggn pilot transitions. Just throwing it out there in case anyone can actually confirm or deny this rumor.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I can not confirm nor deny, but I would have expected the opposite if anything. If AC is pushing some domestic flying to Jazz to cover the grounded planes, theyd need more pilots and more planes.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

GGN management are trying to manipulate their employee group one last time by telling them that they won't release them to jazz til the fall.

Laughable.

So far, I haven't seen any impact on the operation at Jazz, other than some extra sectors here and there.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

ALPA sent out an email today about this issue. Seems that AC may slow down on hiring over the summer due to the 737Max grounding. How this will effect Jazz hiring I am not sure and how it will effect GGN flying ( as all express carriers have been tasked with picking up the slack).

It seems at the moment everyone is just kinda working on contingency plans for the loss of the Max fleet. Stand by to stand by. Clearly they are working on it, and AC still has to hire 60% Jazz pilots in their GS classes that they do run. I would expect to see a slow over the summer then of OTS if the AC hiring slows down. As for GGN management trying to "hold" their pilots I've heard the memo rumour.....but I don't think it will stand up as ALPA and Jazz are planning on taking the GGN pilots as per their seniority/training dates as per this last bid 2019-01.

Again everything can change and who really knows whats going to happen. Apply, enjoy your current job, keep building experience, cross your fingers and will all see how this unfolds.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”