737 max

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: 737 max

Post by Victory »

I'm sure you're not going to have an enjoyable free time knowing your fleet is grounded and have no idea when it will be back. Make sure that equipment bid is up to date and for a fleet at your base that you can hold unless you want to move.
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:36 am paid days off!
Don't be so sure.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

altiplano wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:14 am
Yycjetdriver wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:36 am paid days off!
Don't be so sure.
What are you implying?
Will they be grounded indefinitely or just until the software patch is installed, obviously we don’t know but I’m assuming that since the FAA was involved with the software update, it’ll be approved and airworthiness reinstated. Perhaps they should have been grounded after the first one(Lionair), assuming the Ethiopian crash is determined to be from the same cause, that’s what the lawyers will be asking.
Anyhow back to AC pilots and their time off, short term pay guarantees will kick in, after that I imagine a forced move to another aircraft but since you are short staffed already, nobody’s getting furloughed.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Short term pay guarantees? Please reference the contract article you refer for paying pilots for aircraft not flying for reasons beyond their control.

The right thing is to pay the pilots. But the company doesn't have a clause requiring it... and they certainly don't always do the right thing.

We will see.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

Bingo...

Company does NOT have to pay MBG with a fleet grounded beyond their control...

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Calls to the call center are now being rejected. Glad my company now has Fly Zed online booking and that I am on an Embraer tomorrow. Website say 9-12000 pax per day carried by AC on the Max.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Pilots don't have to release the brake when their colleagues are hung out to dry for reasons behind their control.

I guess we will eventually see where the cards fall, but I don't think the corporation will be showing theirs early on this matter, willingly at least.

Next will be an 88 hour month and max days removal request for April on all fleets to pick up the slack...

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Company has what 500 MAX pilot out of 4000? So worst case scenario all those position were eliminated you would need around seniority 3500 to have a spot still. This will not happen though. There are too many empty position to fill up.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Jean-Pierre wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:12 pm Company has what 500 MAX pilot out of 4000? So worst case scenario all those position were eliminated you would need around seniority 3500 to have a spot still. This will not happen though. There are too many empty position to fill up.
This doesn't even make sense. It isn't like Air Canada doesn't still need 24 air planes worth of service. There won't be any layoffs, just perhaps a major pivot in types.

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

planes will be flying in a week or 2 when new software is available, patch won't lets MCAS pitch down unless both airspeed or both AOA sensors agreed..

My though anyways

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

pilotbzh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:58 pm planes will be flying in a week or 2 when new software is available, patch won't lets MCAS pitch down unless both airspeed or both AOA sensors agreed..

My though anyways
I agree. Boeing is not just sitting on their hands doing nothing.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Gotta pity the carriers here in Canada and the US of A who utilize this ‘37 type in question tis gonna be rough for sure in all aspects. One hopes their travelling customers has understanding/sympathy for what these airlines are going through.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

av8ts wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:50 pm
pilotbzh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:58 pm planes will be flying in a week or 2 when new software is available, patch won't lets MCAS pitch down unless both airspeed or both AOA sensors agreed..

My though anyways
I agree. Boeing is not just sitting on their hands doing nothing.
Undoubtably. Boeing will have a software update out quicker than Microsoft will for cumulative updates on their Windows Ten version 1809.MS sends out cumulative updates on that operating system every two weeks. 😉😉

Guilden
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Guilden »

Hey Boeing, Airspeed Unreliable QRC:

1. Autopilot (if engaged)...Disengage
2. Autothrottle (if engaged)..Disengage
3. STAB TRIM CUTOUT switches...CUTOUT

Etc Etc

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Guilden
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Guilden »

Judging by the preliminary reports, these crews likely were potentially thinking they had an airspeed issue and focused maybe on that QRC first (stick shakers, overspeed etc etc) one controls while the other is grabbing the QRC... Trim wheel noise in the background along with all the other sounds this issue produces can be very distracting, why doesn't boeing add cutting out the the stab trim on the unreliable airspeed QRC? My thoughts anyway..

jinxer226
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jinxer226 »

Seems like most of them are being ferried to YQG. Already 4 Sunwing B38M here. 3 Air Canada's scheduled to arrive today as of current time.Heard it through the grapevine that there could be 8 total Air Canada B38M being ferried to YQG.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

Guilden wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:54 am Hey Boeing, Airspeed Unreliable QRC:

Etc Etc

PROBLEM SOLVED.
Point taken...

But sad fact is all world operators don't have the same experienced and trained crews that North America is lucky to have. Sounds like there have been some reports from US operators that are just coming to light. Pure speculation, but guessing those pilots handled it properly and didn't make headlines.

Apparently the FO onboard Ethiopian had 200 hours. So essentially the captain was flying single pilot. Could it be a factor with a mechanical issue?

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Flying single pilot is safer than flying with someone with 200 hrs (depending on the person of course). You only have to worry about yourself making mistakes and don't rely on anyone else to take the correction actions.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Guilden wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:54 am Hey Boeing, Airspeed Unreliable QRC:

Etc Etc

PROBLEM SOLVED.
That's not the drill for Airspeed Unreliable at AC. That is close to the Runaway Stab Trim Drill except you left out attempting to reverse the trim electrically first then the CUTOUT switches, then grabbing the trim wheel and manually reversing the trim.

The MCAS system is only active with flaps up in manual flight (No AP).

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

My though anyways
That's probably wishful thinking. Any major change to the MCAS logic would have to be fully validated by flight testing and then the FAA would have to buy off on it. I cant see them rushing in a quick patch if this in fact turns out to be the issue. And depending what's involved, hardware and/or wiring changes may also be needed.

Return to “Air Canada”