Employment as an International

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

pumpum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Employment as an International

Post by pumpum »

I am from a small island in the Caribbean, I would like to migrate to Canada and work as a pilot.

What are my options as an international. Here is my game plan.....

I get my PPL-CPL with CFI rating etc...... I work to get 1000 hours as an instructor with my post graduate work permit, then what?

What do I need to do so THAT I don't go back to my island, what are my OPTIONS after I get 1000 hours with my PGWP? Would getting a job offer and applying for Express entry be a good idea?

Thanks! I really want to get out. I will be going to Canada to do my PPL soon.
---------- ADS -----------

dereceer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Employment as an International

Post by dereceer »

Immigration rules are always changing, so what worked for me may not work for you.

I studied at a flight school (must be a Designated Learning Institute) in order to get the Post Graduate Work Permit. What is important is when you get your study permit, not all will give you the right to work part-time. Even if you do not want to work part time, apply for an amendment to your study permit so you can, this will of course allow you to work part time, but also get a Social Security Number, so when your study permit expires and you've applied for a PGWP, you can work right away under implied status (while waiting for PGWP). This wouldn't have been possible if you didn't already have a SSN. On that note, it looks like processing times for PGWP take 3 months.

If you can, extend your studies over 1 year. When you apply for PGWP, you will get it for the amount of time you have studied. Be careful when applying, If no date has been entered for duration of your study, CIC will check your school's website and see the minimum time to complete your program is 6 months, and only give you 6 months PGWP.

If you studied for 1 year (I think), and you've worked at your flight school for 6 months (must be full time continuous employment), then you'll be eligible for Provincial Nominee Program (provided you studied, and worked in the same province). A requirement applying for PNP is a CELPIP English test, they will also ask other questions and from that give you a score and pluck the highest from the pool. You will then get an invitation from the province and then you apply for Express Entry, and will be given 300 points or something, so you're basically guaranteed Permanent Residence. If you apply directly to Express Entry, you'll need a high score as you won't have the extra points from the province. It should take 6 months or less to receive an invitation from the province to apply for Express Entry. So 6-8 months since date of application for PR.

It is nice to have the extra months in your work permit, so you can do everything without having to leave Canada. If things go south, and you get fired as an instructor for not greasing a landing or something... and as luck would have it you've worked for 5 months, you won't be eligible for PNP or Express as you need 6 months continuous employment. You could still have enough time to work again for another employer 6 months.

Things haven't went to plan and it looks like your PR isn't going to be complete in time. You're looking at extending your work permit, you cannot extend a PGWP, so now you're left with having to apply for a completely new work permit. Depending on your country, you may be eligible for International Experience Canada and you can get a holiday work permit. If your employer loves you, and decides to sponsor you (most employer don't want to, as they must do a Labour Market Impact Assessment and it costs money and time) then you could get a closed-work permit - you'll only be able to work for that employer, but it'll give you time to sort out your PR.

This is only the tip of the ice berg - there is lots more information I've missed and legal grey areas.

The best things are to study as long as you can, and work as long as you can, and apply for everything as early as you can.

Goodluck,

pumpum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pumpum »

thanks for the help!

I am not from the UK or any country that will get me a work permit like you did. So the goal is to stay as long as possible in the course mabe up to one year so THAT I can get a PGWP equivalent to the one year, my question are these:

1- Would it be possible if I applied for a PNP while I am on a PGWP, for example applying and NOT leaving Canada? So I will get the PNP and then while I am on the PGWP I will get my PNP...

2- Would I need to leave the country if I apply for the PGWP, after my studies are up since the PGWP has a 3 months waiting period?

Thanks!

dereceer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dereceer »

1. Yes, you can apply whenever provided you meet requirements for the PNP.
2. No, that's why you need to get a SIN number and have the right to work even if you're on a study permit, so when the study permit expires you start working under implied status as would have applied for the PGWP. If you did not get the SIN number, you would then need to wait 3 months for PGWP and would only be staying as a visitor (can't work).

Return to “Employment Forum”