Hiring?

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Citationdriver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hiring?

Post by Citationdriver »

Posted on another thread. Question, I am a 5k driver. All current. ATPL. Out of the game for 5 yrs. Applied to all the majors including Jazz and Encore. Any hope for a guy in his early 50s with good experience and jet time? Is anyone hiring guys like me? Just want to drive until I retire. Held CP, DFO, AE etc. Just want to drive. Airline style
---------- ADS -----------

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Hiring?

Post by twinpratts »

Last edited by twinpratts on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

Swoop : they’d hire anyone right now to fill a seat.

You could probably go DEC too.

A truly “ if nowhere else “ option

Just callin it like it is.
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Citationdriver wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:00 pm Posted on another thread. Question, I am a 5k driver. All current. ATPL. Out of the game for 5 yrs. Applied to all the majors including Jazz and Encore. Any hope for a guy in his early 50s with good experience and jet time? Is anyone hiring guys like me? Just want to drive until I retire. Held CP, DFO, AE etc. Just want to drive. Airline style
Yes, let's of jobs, you have good time, life experience and lots of career left. I second AC, go there if you have an option to but take whomever comes first...probibly swoop lol.
Good luck and welcome back to aviation.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Citationdriver wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:00 pm Posted on another thread. Question, I am a 5k driver. All current. ATPL. Out of the game for 5 yrs. Applied to all the majors including Jazz and Encore. Any hope for a guy in his early 50s with good experience and jet time? Is anyone hiring guys like me? Just want to drive until I retire. Held CP, DFO, AE etc. Just want to drive. Airline style
Jazz has a requirement for 200 hours in the past 12 months they will require you to meet when proceeding past the phone interview. I know of a corporate guy who told their phone interview person they have 150 ish in 12 months, the HR person had to seek approval from a manager to proceed. That person had significant experience so they deemed it ok. I’m not sure how they will feel about the 5 years off, doesn’t hurt to ask though. Good luck.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

.80@410 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:22 pm Swoop : they’d hire anyone right now to fill a seat.

The bid was release the other day and showed an Encore FO get DEC on the 737 at Swoop. That should tell you how undesirable that position is.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Bede wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:43 am
.80@410 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:22 pm Swoop : they’d hire anyone right now to fill a seat.

The bid was release the other day and showed an Encore FO get DEC on the 737 at Swoop. That should tell you how undesirable that position is.
That particular one is a typo, the person in question is an Encore Captain with previous jet time. But still...

SwoopStar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SwoopStar »

SWOOP will likely hire you for 737 FO, mainline not likely.

SWOOP has already hired pilots in your circumstance. Our current CP was a TC inspector prior with several years out of the saddle.

Grab your type rating, get current, then leave. There has never been, or likely will ever be, this opportunity again.

"Free type ratings at SWOOP! Apply now!"

Seriously. Flair can go under in the next few months then there will be 100+ pilots banging on doors. SWOOP management is counting on it.

SwoopStar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SwoopStar »

SWOOP's interview is now conducted by both WestJet and SWOOP.

*Edited for accuracy.

Last edited by SwoopStar on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi guys
There is still an interview at swoop so I’m not sure where you get your information. We’ve (WJ) been doing all the swoop interviews up until now. Swoop has taken on one of our previous reputable recruiters and will have the same checks and balances. She will be managing the interviews going forward.

Hire view (video screening) will be the start of the process along with cognitive testing and a face to face along with the usual background security and reference checks.

We’ve recently split the job postings so we have Swoop, WJ mainline and Encore Capt/Fo postings currently open.

As for going to mainline - we are running courses every three weeks until October. So dispute what others have said above - there are and will be considerable off the street positions. Fueling this recruiting will be the new agreement, the new NPA and WB growth.

Hope that helps clear some rumours up.
Take care
Dave

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

By the way Citation driver - I would honestly prefer to see you current and blow the dust off the old skills. Holding those prior positions - although nice on the resume, only has me wondering if you flew much while doing them and when.

My suggestion is to now hop into a king air (along with all the 700 hr captains these days LOL) or something similar. To me - that shows initiative and the ability to blow the dust off the skills.

Age isn’t a factor - We’ve hired many around your age in the past. The technology these days hurts the older brain but most get through the training!

Feel free to reach out directly to me if you wish through a private message. We can go from there.

Cheers
Dave

SwoopStar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SwoopStar »

Thank you DaveP. I described the SWOOP interview process as experienced by the direct hires of 2018.

As a FYI for other readers, if SWOOP is unable to attract the necessary talent, the LOU will be opened and subject to a vote by all WestJet pilots. Likely, the WestJet pilots will not vote for anything that isn't near in parity. WestJet leadership is adamant that parity is impossible. This places SWOOP in a desperate position to attract talent under the present LOU. For SWOOP to succeed, the bar must be lowered.

Therefore sadly, the King Air DaveP spoke about above is now a B738 at SWOOP. There is NO BOND. And from the inside, there is no loyalty. Loyalty was unbundled in the ULCC business model.

The posting closes April 30th.

All this changes if Flair fails. SWOOP is counting on it.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

SwoopStar wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 pm Loyalty was unbundled in the ULCC business model.
Probably the most profound statement on this forum in years. Company takes advantage of pilots, pilots take advantage of company.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Not exactly sustainable I'd think.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

DaveP wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:45 pm As for going to mainline - we are running courses every three weeks until October. So dispute what others have said above - there are and will be considerable off the street positions. Fueling this recruiting will be the new agreement, the new NPA and WB growth.

Hope that helps clear some rumours up.
Take care
Dave
Will these all be for YYZ?

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
160tonoaha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 160tonoaha »

DaveP wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:55 pm My suggestion is to now hop into a king air (along with all the 700 hr captains these days LOL) or something similar.
I don't know if I read that correctly. Are you suggesting for example a jazz CRJ Captain with 700 hours or a CargoJet 767 Captain with 700 hours command should be jumping into a king air to demonstrate qualified competency/character to work as a 737 FO for you over at WestJet for a decade?

Who are these 700 hour captain's you are LOLing at ?

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

160tonoaha wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:34 pm
DaveP wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:55 pm My suggestion is to now hop into a king air (along with all the 700 hr captains these days LOL) or something similar.
I don't know if I read that correctly. Are you suggesting for example a jazz CRJ Captain with 700 hours or a CargoJet 767 Captain with 700 hours command should be jumping into a king air to demonstrate qualified competency/character to work as a 737 FO for you over at WestJet for a decade?

Who are these 700 hour captain's you are LOLing at ?
I suspect the comment was directed at the individual citation driver referenced in the initial post.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

DropTanks wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:06 pm
SwoopStar wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:23 pm Also, there is no interview at SWOOP, just a discussion about the operation and to answer your questions.

You will then be put on WestJet's pilot seniority list. You can transfer over after 2 years.

Welcome to SWOOP.
And therein lies the problem! It used to take so much to get in WJ. The right connections, right resume, right performance in the interview. Now it’s basically in through the backdoor simply because a guy was willing to work for Swoop. Only requirement now??? Bend over and take it like a man and we’ll give you a type rating and a easy ride to the WJ list. Enjoy.
Don’t get me wrong, there’s been lots of good people brought in that way since things changed but definitely some real crackerjacks slipped in as well because of it.
Pretty arrogant to somehow suggest those pilots that went through one process as described (presumably oneself?) are superior to other pilots?!!

In fact it could be argued that the traditional "WestJetty" interview process which was to measure one's suitability into its culture and attract only those who espoused its values, so critical and successful in early years, perhaps has not been as effective in recent years. Whatever the interview process though, it is to satisfy the recruiting officer and hiring manager, not other staff.

It's the example of guests going to a party that cannot worry about how other guests got to be invited and whether or not they are as good a guest, rather just be happy to have been invited and make the best of meeting other people and enjoying themselves.

And unless one is absolutely sure of all aspects of history and trends of future, one would not use "never been" and "ever will be" so lightly simply to advance an argument!

Return to “WestJet”