Class 1 medical for cpl training

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Class 1 medical for cpl training

Post by rotorspeed »

Do you need a class 1 medical to do cpl training including solos if you have a class 3. Again I'm asking about trading only, I know you need it for the license
---------- ADS -----------

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Class 1 medical for cpl training

Post by 200hr Wonder »

I would just go and spend the money now, on the off chance they find something disqualifying or that requires some time and doctors visits to get a stamp on your Cat 1. If your thinking about getting a CPL, it is what an hour maybe 1 1/2 hours in the air?

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

It's not the reason for the question. More about having a restricted class 1

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

You only need a class 1 medical to exercise the "rights" of your CPL.

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

You also need a class 1 medical to write the CPL exam.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

final28 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:38 am You also need a class 1 medical to write the CPL exam.
Quite true but the OP was inquiring about just the training so technically...
All that additional training will make them a solid PPL pilot if they can't get the class 1.

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

Got it

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EGW »

Do I need to get a referral from my family doctor in order to get a medical or can I just call and make an appointment with an examiner?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Just make the appointment on your own, and go, no referral needed. As said, you must have the Cat 1 sticker in your booklet to write the exam, I was caught out by this, and could not write. I did all my CPL training on my PPL/Cat 3. If your Cat 3 is valid, train on it, and delay the cost of the Cat 1 medical. Once you pay for it, you may as well have in in effect for longer, rather than having used up half your Cat validity just doing your training, for which the Cat 3 is legal.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

PilotDAR wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:53 am Just make the appointment on your own, and go, no referral needed. As said, you must have the Cat 1 sticker in your booklet to write the exam, I was caught out by this, and could not write. I did all my CPL training on my PPL/Cat 3. If your Cat 3 is valid, train on it, and delay the cost of the Cat 1 medical. Once you pay for it, you may as well have in in effect for longer, rather than having used up half your Cat validity just doing your training, for which the Cat 3 is legal.
I have never "exercised the rights" of a CPL but I do believe in training regularly. 3 separate times I had to get a class 1 medical renewed JUST to write the exam :cry: bad timing on my part but rule are rules I guess.

Glenn

Return to “Flight Training”