Pet Peeves?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Pet Peeves?

Post by Kaykay »

DanWEC wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:07 pm Honestly, this site was great for that before it became JazzCanada
I wouldn’t even limit it that much. There’s a lot of rhetoric from several groups that just sours the board.
---------- ADS -----------

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

Mône wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:16 pm Toronto center, this is (insert airline here)1234 with you

|
|
|

This triggers me
Oh yeah?
Enlighten us what the proper phraseology is then.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Ki-ll wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:49 am
Mône wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:16 pm Toronto center, this is (insert airline here)1234 with you

|
|
|

This triggers me
Oh yeah?
Whatever it is, "with you" is definitely not it. Neither is "if available" or "if possible" when requesting altitude or speed changes.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Simply leave out "with you" ie: Toronto ATC this is Air Canada 1234 18000 descending 5000

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

digits_ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:11 am

|
|
|

This triggers me
Oh yeah?
Whatever it is, "with you" is definitely not it. Neither is "if available" or "if possible" when requesting altitude or speed changes.
How about “conflicting traffic please advise”?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Ki-ll wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:28 am

Oh yeah?
Oh center loves that. I usually also do that with my position reports on 121.5 too because safety you know. I am a guardian of safety, and other pilots appreciated it. They always compliment me being on guard on the frequency.

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

digits_ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 am
Ki-ll wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:28 am

Oh center loves that. I usually also do that with my position reports on 121.5 too because safety you know. I am a guardian of safety, and other pilots appreciated it. They always compliment me being on guard on the frequency.
That's what all that meowing on guard is...

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash.Trash »

“Edmonton Centre, Air Canada’ssss 202...”

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Dash.Trash wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:59 pm “Edmonton Centre, Air Canada’ssss 202...”
This, for some reason, makes me irrationally angry. It seems to have died down in the last 6 months or so but for a while it was quite pervasive. Is there a reason that it became so common?

V3-HGX
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by V3-HGX »

I also get annoyed by that. There were a few guys out of Iqaluit saying "First Air's XXX," and I have heard "Wasaya's XXX" too many times as well.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Well that settles it, I'm going to start using "Golf'ssss Sierra Charlie Victor."

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Kejidog wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:17 pm My pet peeve is actually thinking this site has something to add to avaition knowledge. But instead is a bunch of winers complaing that they are either underpaid, or over paid and or tired or jealous of every other industry. I joined thinking this may help me become a better GA pilot. Instead it made me realize that the person flying me and my family is a disgruntled cry baby. I hardly ever come on here and whenever i do I regret it. I actually wonder if anyone on here is actaully employed to fly or just a bunch trolls jerking each other. Glad i chose firefighting as a job. It pays well and pussies who can’t hack usually quit or go on to day work.

Drops mic and leaves for some GA specific forms.
Sadly, you are pretty much bang on. The primadonna factor, is interestingly, inversely proportional to the amount of background in some, maybe many, cases.

But as usual, it's the vocal minority that makes everyone else look bad. And the pay is far from being as bad across the board as many suggest. If it were, there would be a mass exodus to home depot.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

Dash.Trash wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:59 pm “Edmonton Centre, Air Canada’ssss 202...”
I have caught myself saying something sounding like this... usually as I am trying to find something with our flight number on it... just kinda extending the call sign so you don’t think I’ve stopped transmitting.

Yes I know that the flight number is always at the top of the MCDU Flt Plan page.... but sometimes it takes way too long to find it, and you really want to call yourself a flight number that is completely wrong, but maybe you used last week and for whatever reason it’s stuck in your head!

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

When the other guy tries to keep up his “cool” radio voice and doesn’t annunciate clearly or properly, and ATC says “say again” numerous times throughout the pairing. WTF MAN SPEAK NORMALLY FOR CHRIST’S SAKE YOU SOUND LIKE A TOOL. That one really irks me (take notes kids and don’t be that guy). Nobody actually cares how you sound on the radio and nobody even knows who you are.

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

How about “Yyz Centre, I would like to request Fl xxx”. Or “I would like to request Fl340 is possible “.

I just wish ATC would come back and say: “go ahead and request it” or “it is possible to request it”

Are you requesting a different Fl or not? Just say “. . . . 1234 request Fl xxx”

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

1. Pilots who switch frequencies and have their finger on the transmit switch ready to pounce. Switch, listen, THEN talk. Stop interrupting read-backs.

2. "Toronto Centre, #### checking in at FL340."

HALF a second later.... "TORONTO CENTRE, #### checking in at FL340." Chill. He/she is probably busy.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Rooster69 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:55 am How about “Yyz Centre, I would like to request Fl xxx”. Or “I would like to request Fl340 is possible “.

I just wish ATC would come back and say: “go ahead and request it” or “it is possible to request it”

Are you requesting a different Fl or not? Just say “. . . . 1234 request Fl xxx”
"Can I put a request in for FL340 if available?"

:rolleyes:

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

Transmitting "I" instead of "We" or "[Neutral]" in a two crew airplane :lol:

yvrpilot82
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrpilot82 »

Tying up Clearance Delivery reading back EVERY.SINGLE.WORD instead of just the SID and squark code.

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rob-air »

Reading back SID and code instead of just code :goodman:

I should only be use when messing up, other time WE wins

Don’t have radio pet peeves exept not getting love from ATC ie: good morning/good day. Anything else, the weirder the better, its good entertainment....

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”