Prior accident and going professional

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Prior accident and going professional

Post by milotron »

What is the impact of an insurance claim/incident on potential to being hired as a commercial pilot? Incident was a runway excursion with no injuries and was 6 years and several hundred hours ago.

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Prior accident and going professional

Post by Bede »

Air Canada interviewer: have you ever damaged an aircraft?
Pilot: yes I damaged a plane on landing once.
Interviewer: only once?

Joking aside, I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine. Be able to explain what happened, why it happened and what you learned.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Second what Bede said, emphasize the "what you learned" part. No one wants an accident, but if it happened, you may as well take away some wisdom - value it, it was costly!

JL
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JL »

I even brought the TSB report of my accident to the interview. When asked, I told them about it, what I learnt and offered them the report if they wanted to know more....got the job too (705 carrier).

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

All the above is good advice. Be honest. Don't sugar coat or defer blame. Accept it, explain what you learned from it. It won't exclude you from the process. Remember, if there was a CADOR or TSB report, your interviewers probably already know the answer to the question.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

yycflyguy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 am All the above is good advice. Be honest. Don't sugar coat or defer blame. Accept it, explain what you learned from it. It won't exclude you from the process. Remember, if there was a CADOR or TSB report, your interviewers probably already know the answer to the question.
How would they know if there was only a CADOR? I've never seen names mentioned in there.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Aviation in Canada is a small community, no cadors or report needed if you're to blame, they may know already. Always be honest, it will prove your character.

I don't know of anyone in your situation but I know there are lots of pilots out there with accidents who have successful careers.

Some people have accident free careers and some don't, if you're not an idiot, you should be alright.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I was involved in an accident. I'm honest, open and up front about it. I've now been flying for 17 years and am at an airline. It really is a non issue, so long as you're open about it.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

digits_ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 am
yycflyguy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 am All the above is good advice. Be honest. Don't sugar coat or defer blame. Accept it, explain what you learned from it. It won't exclude you from the process. Remember, if there was a CADOR or TSB report, your interviewers probably already know the answer to the question.
How would they know if there was only a CADOR? I've never seen names mentioned in there.
Doesn't take too much detective work when HR calls prior employers for history checks.

We had someone at my airline that lied about being involved in an incident. After hiring it was discovered. New hire terminated for dishonesty on initial application. Was re-instated on a technicality because it was phrased as "incidents/accidents as PIC" and the new hire was SIC.

Save yourself the grief. Just be honest.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

yycflyguy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:41 pm
digits_ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 am
Doesn't take too much detective work when HR calls prior employers for history checks.

We had someone at my airline that lied about being involved in an incident. After hiring it was discovered. New hire terminated for dishonesty on initial application. Was re-instated on a technicality because it was phrased as "incidents/accidents as PIC" and the new hire was SIC.

Save yourself the grief. Just be honest.
of course be honest, but reference checks usually happen after an interview. I don’t think your statement is correct that a CADOR will give your interviewer knowledge about incidents. It is highly unlikely.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “General Comments”