2018 Pilot Hiring

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by Handover »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:12 am
mollok wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:15 am When will they start news ground school?
It's the very first line of the job ad: "Classes begin in June 2019 and will be recurring consistently Every Month for the foreseeable future."
First ground school is May 6 for five initially. Offers are out
---------- ADS -----------

bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bythenumbers »

From talking to a friend there it sounds like the May class is being filled with last years candidates who had interviewed and been pooled. The ground schools commencing June and onward will be filled from the current posting and those interviews are scheduled to begin in May. They didn't know if interview calls had gone out yet but didn't think so.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Anyone get a call from the latest posting?

mollok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mollok »

Nope

CXALE
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CXALE »

Same here

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Nope.

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kilocharliemike »

Hello,

Since I am a part of the masses that are waiting for a call from Sunwing here, maybe someone would like to field some random Sunwing related random (mostly wife asking)questions!😁

I have heard there have been some changes to European rotations, more/less than usual? shorter duration? Are there any particularly in Portugal? Do they change year to year?

I think someone asked this before too but I can’t find the answer, what are family travel benefits/interline type stuff. Where can « she go »! Basically, I am not important 😬

Peace and love and thanks for your answers, and tell Hr to call me already I have internals! I know they are peeking around in here!

KCM

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Yes most pilots are going over this year. Last year you had to be more senior to go and the junior pilots stayed home, but it changes from year to year. Bases are Dublin, Belfast, Aberdeen, Norwich, Amsterdam, Katowice and Brno.

Travel passes aren’t that great within Sunwing and we’re working on ID90 for other carriers. We do have a good pilot jumpseat program however with most major American carriers and with WJ and AC.

anchovy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anchovy »

What is considered senior these days?

Are there a lot of long term pilots?

If so, do these pilots have an ok family life considering the deployments?

Just curios... looking at the CA, it doesn't seem too bad.

Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Handover »

anchovy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:44 am What is considered senior these days?

Are there a lot of long term pilots?

If so, do these pilots have an ok family life considering the deployments?

Just curios... looking at the CA, it doesn't seem too bad.
All depends on your family tastes. There are plenty of families who consider the deployment the best part of the deal. European countries, cool cities, interesting destinations and awesome per diems.

Some others would rather stay in Canada and not miss the summer after a long hard winter. I can understand both perspectives. Depends on what works for your family.

Senior would be back to the first class. 6 years will get you mostly what you want.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Echoing what Handover said, I think you need to be a 3rd year or more senior F/O to have stayed home this year by choice. If you are more junior, you had no choice but to go over. There were some extenuating circumstances this year that necessitated drafting people to go overseas.

This is the first time people have been drafted in a long time. And as I said, last year I bid to deploy, but my seniority didn’t hold it and I had to stay in Canada all summer.

The deployments are a highlight for many people every year. I’m bringing my wife and two young kids over and I’ll be provided with a 2 bedroom apartment and a rental car at the company’s expense. They’ll come home early (again, at the company’s expense) to start the school year in September and I’ll finish off the rest of my tour by early October.

And there a lot of long term pilots here. Lots still left from when the company started over a decade ago, and lots of junior pilots who have no intention to leave for AC/WJ or overseas.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Another deployment lover here. I was pretty disappointed when I couldn’t hold anything last summer. (My wife was pissed). There were people drafted this year. The last time that happened was 2013. With that said, if you aren’t ok with deploying then don’t come to SWG. Most people find the newbies (who took the job knowing about the deployments) complaining about having to deploy VERY irritating.

anchovy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anchovy »

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah it seems that opinions are mostly positive on this forum vs places like glass door etc. which have very negative write-ups about the company.

I'm not opposed to deploying at all, would likely enjoy it actually for many reasons. The deployments also seem like nice places to be mostly.

A couple of more questions. How does the company deal with health care issues while you are overseas? Do they pay into a program for you and your families?

Also... I've heard that you kind of have to know somebody on the inside to get in. Is the internal reference part true? This is likely the only company I don't know anyone in.

Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Handover »

anchovy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:34 pm Wow! Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah it seems that opinions are mostly positive on this forum vs places like glass door etc. which have very negative write-ups about the company.

I'm not opposed to deploying at all, would likely enjoy it actually for many reasons. The deployments also seem like nice places to be mostly.

A couple of more questions. How does the company deal with health care issues while you are overseas? Do they pay into a program for you and your families?

Also... I've heard that you kind of have to know somebody on the inside to get in. Is the internal reference part true? This is likely the only company I don't know anyone in.
You get full health insurance for you and family overseas. No concerns there.

Some people have got in without references, but Sunwing as a whole values an internal contact.

Don't know why Glassdoor is giving bad reviews. Mostly everyone I know loves the company. I'm not easy to please but I'd take this over AC any day for the lifestyle and pay available

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

A lot of the reviews on Glassdoor are seasonal Flight Attendants who get laid off every summer, which can make even a good company feel not as good as it is.

And don’t get me wrong, there are things I’d change at SWG, but it’s still a good place to hang your hat. (Those who work for SWG swill get the inside joke there).

anchovy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by anchovy »

Thanks for that info!

Too bad about the internal referral but maybe I can be one of the few they consider without. Can't make up knowing someone.

Always open to getting to know new people of the Sunwing pilot type though. Drinks on me? :wink:

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Sunwing is actually an amazing place for pilots but yeah for flight attendants it’s certainly debatable .... being seasonal work doesn’t help but you also get to deal with the semi-retired entitled BOOMERS who paid 500$ Return for a Cancun 10 days cruise and complain that the Brut wine offered on the plane isn’t Don Perignon 1998 reserve and then you also get the young belligerent crowd getting piss drunk ahead of their all inclusive DR spring break electric boogaloo - On top of it, they don’t really get flight benefits like WJ/AC/Express and not that much layovers down south compared to Rouge or WJ.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

anchovy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:04 am Thanks for that info!

Too bad about the internal referral but maybe I can be one of the few they consider without. Can't make up knowing someone.

Always open to getting to know new people of the Sunwing pilot type though. Drinks on me? :wink:
Just book an all inclusive at one of the crew hotels and hang out in the lobby until you see a pilot with a goofy tie.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Can someone be kind enough to post the CBA? Much appreciated!

Mart
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mart »

http://negotech.labour.gc.ca/cgi-bin/re ... ture=en-CA

ALL Canadian company CBA are publicly available on this Canadian Government website.
Most recent CBA could take couple of months to be posted but eventually they all end up in this library. 😉

Return to “Sunwing”