fires already?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

snowshoe
Rank 3
Rank 3

fires already?

Post by snowshoe »

A friend of mine told me that some of the tanker crews are on the move in BC interior. Other than that , he was real short on details. Seems quite early for things to be burning. Anyone able to confirm his info , add some more?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

gig
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gig »

As I was doing my training on the fire patrols, I noticed a lot of movements at the airport on the tankers, I guess starting their season by some training flights too

MurtsAir
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MurtsAir »

Ya I was watching the news and there already putting out fires in the Okanagan. The tankers have been station a full two weeks earlier than normal this year. I had flash backs of last summer. its been really nice out here in Vancouver the past 2 week it even reached 25 degrees in one of the burbs! 8) nice but not good for the already dry forests

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Yep, it's all fine and good to let the forests burn. But when you start burning people's houses, things get political in a big hurry. Not surprised they are out waving the flag early.

Anyone know what BCs budget for fire patrol/suppression is this year compared to last?

Intentional Left Bank
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Intentional Left Bank »

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

From the CBC:

Another dangerous forest-fire season expected
WebPosted Apr 9 2004 11:33 AM PDT

BANFF, ALTA. - British Columbia appears to be headed for another dangerous forest-fire season, and people should prepare for the worst.

That's according to Dr. Reece Halter, the president of Global Forest Science, a forest-research institute in Banff.

He says the small fires that are burning in the B.C. interior are eight to ten weeks earlier than last year.

The areas he's most concerned about are the Okanagan and East Kootney regions.

Both areas are on the lee-side or dry-rain-shadow side of the mountain.

Halter says this is exacerbated by the white pine beetle that has infested hundreds of acres of lodgepole-pine forests.

Halter says people should be conserving water now to get ready for a potentially dry summer.

Out of Control
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Out of Control »

I was in Rocky a couple of days ago and there were already 5 fires according to Forestry.

Say again, your coming in stupid
Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

46 fires burning in B.C. so far. Saw a Convair sitting in CTKA the other day and a flare up on Okanagan mountain as well as around Barrier fromwhat I hear. Hold onto your panties!!

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

46 fires burning in B.C. so far. Saw a Convair and Commander team sitting in CYKA the other day and a flare up on Okanagan mountain as well as around Barrier from what I hear. Hold onto your panties!!

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
DriftWood
Rank 1
Rank 1

Fire

Post by DriftWood »

46 fires aint shit yo. So many of you suckas out there think last year was bad, just for the reasoning it burned some holmes. You boys or gilrs should not listen to the news to much and don't even bother looking at the weatheroffice, or network.
B.C. is getting a couple more convairs. Two to be in Williams lake. I thinik a totall of 7 new unit crews (20 men ministry fire fighter) Some in PG some in Kamloops and one in the Puddle. This is because the ministry cut back on budget years ago. Then after last summer the government took there head out of there ass and got more perssonnel.
This summer may be a ripper, but it could rain all summer too. You never can tell. Historically the cycle says, lets burn!
So. keep your head up, you alt high, and those IFR's comin in.
Peace

scubasteve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by scubasteve »

I have heard upwards of 70 or even 90 fires so far. Was on the ski slopes working in shorts and tshirt a couple weeks ago. this spring has been warmer than last. 7 more unit crews sounds about right but with over 500 people applying roughly 80 spots (from ministry personnel) I still didn't hired on. The East Kootenays may get hit hard this year if it stays warm and dry - we got off lucky here last summer.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I'd Rather Be Flying »

Yeah, it's going to be one wild summer! Plenty of flying....which is good for business, but bad for many other reasons. Fly safe guys and gals. See you up there.

8)

"Come down, your head is in the sky, feet on the ground...come down."

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”